A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoiler:
    Just checking but are they using the first half of book three for season 3, then season 4 is the second half of the book, right? So then they somehow turn seasons 5, 6, 7 and 8 from aDwD? Or are they going to mix and match all of the books and seasons now?

Spoilered just in case, though I don't think it's necessary
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Season 4 will be at least the back ~30% of book 3, maybe with some book 4/5 stuff in there. Seasons 5 & 6 will likely be all book 4/5 stuff, in chronologic order, as opposed to geographic.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I know some non-book readers who already think there are too many characters...

Spoiler:
        Their heads will explode with all the Dorne folk, Meereenese aristocracy (and Daario), Jon Connington & Aegon, Euron and Victarion, etc.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I think there will be quite a lot of conservation-of-characters going on in the future...

Spoiler:
          Probably no Areo Hotah at all, decent chance of no Quentin at all, no Ben Plumm, merge almost all of the Meereenese into one antagonist and one protagonist, maybe even merge the brothers Greyjoy.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• You may have some conservation of characters, buuuuut:

Spoiler:
            I wasn't thinking necessarily of Quentin with Dorne, but you'll have to introduce more than a few Dornishfolk because you are introducing a new place altogether - and the almost kidnapping Myrcella plot I think may be important. And perhaps they'll merge Euron & Victarion, but that may cause more problems down the line, esp if Victarion gets himself killed while Euron is still fighting in the upcoming books
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Spoiler:
              Yeah, I don't think they can make the decisions without talking with GRRM and we can hardly comment without knowing who dies. BUt even then, there are going to be a bunch of people added into the series. I don't think that BB Plumm can be removed either, because he is the mechanism that transfers too many main characters back to Westeros.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                I know some non-book readers who already think there are too many characters...

Spoiler:
                Their heads will explode with all the Dorne folk, Meereenese aristocracy (and Daario), Jon Connington & Aegon, Euron and Victarion, etc.
                There ARE too many characters, in the books and in the show. It's the series' greatest flaw.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• The Onion brings you all of the latest news, stories, photos, videos and more from America's finest news source.

That was kind of funny and tangentially related.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    There ARE too many characters, in the books and in the show. It's the series' greatest flaw.
                    The series greatest flaw is that it is not a microcosm of a world, it is the world.

That's...not what I'd call a flaw but an opinion.

Comment

Listen, just because you can't handle some complexity does not mean the writer should make a children's book.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• As GRRM has said there are a lot of other writers out there and if his writing isn't your cup of tea then there are a lot more authors out there and one of them might be more to your tastes.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's a feature, not a bug.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                            The mother****ing Breaker Of Shackles.

Spoiler:
                            Too bad her storyline sucks from here on out.
                            Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            Honestly, I found myself somewhat impulsively skimming or even skipping large parts of Dany's chapters after she gets her bigass army. They're just dull.
                            Agreed.

Spoiler:
                            That episode was the high watermark for Dany. She goes depressingly downhill from here, and especially that awful, tedious crap with Daaaaario. Nor do I think that riding a dragon is particularly awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              I know some non-book readers who already think there are too many characters...

Spoiler:
                              Spoiler:
                              I could have done without most of that lot. If waiting decades for a good story to get concluded is your cup of tea, then fair enough. There is a reason, though, while most people in the world except extreme fantasy nerds and epic strategy game geeks prefer a novel to be finished and move on.
                              Last edited by Cort Haus; April 22, 2013, 18:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                                As GRRM has said there are a lot of other writers out there and if his writing isn't your cup of tea then there are a lot more authors out there and one of them might be more to your tastes.
                                I like his writing. I don't like his self-indulgence. Some do, clearly, which is fine. He doesn't have to drag us tortuously through the mind of every person on his planet to tell a good story.

Comment

Working...
                                X