A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
    Listen, just because you can't handle some complexity does not mean the writer should make a children's book.
    This is a fatuous comment. The quality of the later distractions, or complexity as you call it, is nowhere near the quality of the earlier books.

Comment

• Most of the newer characters are just pointless. They don't add to the overall story. Cort Haus is right.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• I can't imagine how anyone can say that

Spoiler:
        Dorne or Victarion

don't add to the overall story considering the direction it appears to be heading.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          I can't imagine how anyone can say that

Spoiler:
          Dorne or Victarion

don't add to the overall story considering the direction it appears to be heading.
          Spoiler:
          I can see how Victarion has a role to play. Eventually. He seems to hold a massive trump card in the Dragon Horn thing. Dorne was just so desperately dull, though. It arrives in the book completely breaking the rhythm of the interesting stuff that was happening elsewhere. It introduces about seven new characters in 3 pages, none of whom I can give a toss about when I want to know what's happening to Brienne and Ayra and Littlefinger and Sansa and Varys and Jon and Sam and all the Lannisters and Mance and the zombies and ... and... It's like having to stop having great sex to go shopping.

GET ON WITH IT!

Comment

• Spoiler:
            Aside from Dorne being really freaking awesome you mean (poor Oberyn )?

And you know, aside from Dorne having a part to play, obviously, in Aegon's invasion - Golden Company & Dorne makes for quite a nice army and not far from King's Landing

Oh, and Victarion is really more important because it seems that that's where Dany gets her ships to bring her army to Westeros (she herself can ride the Drogon)
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              There ARE too many characters, in the books and in the show. It's the series' greatest flaw.
              I disagree, I believe he's past the point of too many characters and has now an impetus to add even more characters until there's simply no more room to move in Middle Westeros.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Spoiler:
                I think judgements such as "too many characters" ought to wait until the series is finished. Judging whether something is necessary without all of the information is premature and perhaps short sighted. I can see why Quentin would be considered superfluous, but it's 4 chapters that when looked at in isolation is not a bad little arc in and of itself. Perhaps it's impatience that's the problem.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Dorne sucks Imran, you're the only person who likes it.

Comment

• No he isn't. I'm quite partial to Dorne as well, overall. Especially

Spoiler:
                    The Sand Snakes. They are all positioned to raise ****ing hell in the next book--The Citadel, The Red Keep, The Faith...
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                      I like his writing. I don't like his self-indulgence. Some do, clearly, which is fine. He doesn't have to drag us tortuously through the mind of every person on his planet to tell a good story.
                      You've obviously never read Tolstoy as he's another great author who just loves to "drag us tortuously through the mind of every person on his planet" though I must say he does tell a good story.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        Most of the newer characters are just pointless. They don't add to the overall story. Cort Haus is right.
                        You have no idea what you're talking about since the story isn't even over yet! How do you know if they're pointless to the story or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          I can see how Victarion has a role to play. Eventually. He seems to hold a massive trump card in the Dragon Horn thing. Dorne was just so desperately dull, though. It arrives in the book completely breaking the rhythm of the interesting stuff that was happening elsewhere. It introduces about seven new characters in 3 pages, none of whom I can give a toss about when I want to know what's happening to Brienne and Ayra and Littlefinger and Sansa and Varys and Jon and Sam and all the Lannisters and Mance and the zombies and ... and... It's like having to stop having great sex to go shopping.

GET ON WITH IT!

Spoiler:
                          There will no doubt be a final big war with the various seven kingdoms all taking sides to decide who will be king. Dorne and the Ayrie will no doubt be key since neither of them have so far fought in any wars and so are fresh so the Dorne chapters are no doubt setting up how Dorne decides which group to eventually side with. Then there is Little Finger as Prince Regent up in the Ayrie, the youngest Stark son who has yet to come into his own and who is in hiding, Blackfish Tully, House Lannister is in shambles but Jamie may yet man up, and remember that the Tyrells are still around and the iron throne pretty much just fell into their laps.

Oh, then there is the whole thing with the war for the dawn and the prince who was promised. That will probably be resolved in the next book even as the grand war for the iron throne takes up where the war of the five kings ended.
                          Last edited by Dinner; April 22, 2013, 21:19.

Comment

• And I have plenty of folks IRL who love Dorne. I think it will translate very well to the small screen.

Comment

• If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                                Dorne sucks Imran, you're the only person who likes it.
                                Spoiler:
                                Dorne's my favorite region as well, although the whole Myrcella plotline is a big waste of space. I also like Quentyn Martell as he reminds me of myself at that age, getting eaten by a dragon like an idiot is probably the sort of thing I'd end up doing if I were in Westeros
                                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X