Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today I got the worst muscle crap of my entire life.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I got the worst muscle crap of my entire life.

I must be more out of shape then I thought. I recently joined a mountain bike club and was taking part in a group ride with people who seemed to be pretty hard core mountain bikers and I was pushing myself hard to try to keep up. About an hour into the ride (lucky as we were approaching the end) I got this horrible, horrible muscle cramp in the upper part of my right calf; it just cinched up and the pain was so bad I thought I'd ripped something. Worse, my bike has those shoe clip pedals so I couldn't even free my foot right away and ended up crashing and then just laying in the middle of the trail with my feet still clipped into the pedals.

Man, it was brutal and all I could really do try to squeeze my cramped calf muscle in my hands to try to force it to unclinch. When it finally stopped I was able to unclip my feet from the pedals but my riht calf was still super tight and even mild stretching (to releave the tightness) caused the muscle to do more little spasms. I eventually limped back to my car and learned the wonders of trying to drive while the leg you use to push the accelerator was ultra stiff and occasionally spasming. Not fun.

Since getting home I've drank lots of water, ate a banana, tried to do some light stretching, and took a hot bath to soak the muscle in hot water. It's feeling better now but is still some what stiff. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat this or avoid getting more in the future or am I doomed to experiencing more of these as I get older?
    Last edited by Dinner; February 13, 2011, 00:43.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

You are not doomed more of these if you stop trying to keep up with really fit youngsters.

Try getting massage, maybe once a fortnight for a few months and then maybe once a months until you loosen up a bit. I used to get cramps and sore backs when I was younger and I did that. Cramps and sore back stopped and haven't come back in the past 15 years. I had somehow gotten too tight even though I have always had a reasonable amount of exercise. (By massage I mean a proper qualified Masseuse, not one of those idiots who gives a useless rub down).

Comment

May I suggest that you ask a mod to change the tread title
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Damn you black cat.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I didn't notice that typo!
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            Damn you black cat.
            Uhmn, do you feel an urge to burn a witch ?
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
              I didn't notice that typo!
              No problem - **** happens

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                I must be more out of shape then I thought...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat this or avoid getting more in the future or am I doomed to experiencing more of these as I get older?
                It doesn't get any better.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Keep your potassium up before, during and after exercise. The same goes for water. On a long bike ride, start drinking and eating before you get thirsty/hungry.

Comment

can you od on potassium? bananas are okay but how about a supplement? Is there a chance of over doing it?

Comment

Apparently not, unless your kidneys are low-functioning.

Comment

I thought thıs was goıng to be about dısfunctıonal sphincters. ...
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Ouch. I once was woken up by a calf cramp at 5am. It's between being punched in the gut and kneed in the family jewels on pain scale.
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                            can you od on potassium? bananas are okay but how about a supplement? Is there a chance of over doing it?
                            YES! hyperkalemia can be fatal.
                            Last edited by Docfeelgood; February 13, 2011, 09:13.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                              Apparently not, unless your kidneys are low-functioning.
                              Charles Weber, MS in soil science WTF? this man is not even an MD.

Comment

Working...
                              X