No announcement yet.

Superbowl XLV - The Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When we were growing up, PBR was what you got if you didn't have much money and didn't give a crap about taste. I told that to one of the hipsters in the bar and he said it was much better now and offered me a taste. HAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH No, it wasn't better now.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

His 2nd beer of choice is probably Carling Black Label.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        No, it actually doesn't taste better than Bud. More people drink Miller than PBR, and Coors is like reduced calorie water.
        Miller has weird sweet after taste that I cant stand. You might like Bud but that's because you have a distinct faulty taste (Beer, Women, Football) and are a beer slut. Coors is pretty much something you drink for laughs.
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
          When we were growing up, PBR was what you got if you didn't have much money and didn't give a crap about taste. I told that to one of the hipsters in the bar and he said it was much better now and offered me a taste. HAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH No, it wasn't better now.
          Yeah, I highly doubt Pabst would change the beer theyve been brewing for years and years. The thing that's actually kinda of interesting though is that even among the brands that Pabst manages and holds, PBR is definitely way ahead of them flavor wise (barring Old Milwaukee and Rainer). Schlitz? Strohs? These are not good.

And say what you want but look up the results of the Great American Beer festival. Pabst as a whole usually fares pretty well in the light American style lager category. But to be fair, that's like being king of the hobos.
          Last edited by MRT144; February 8, 2011, 13:50.
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Shiner!

Top 50 Overall Brewing Companies by Beer Sales Volume
            (Based on 2008 sales)Rank Brewing Company City State
            1 Anheuser-Busch InBev St. Louis MO
            2 MillerCoors Brewing Co. Chicago IL
            3 Pabst Brewing Co. Woodridge IL
            4 Boston Beer Co. Boston MA
            5 D. G. Yuengling and Son Inc. Pottsville PA
            6 Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Chico CA
            7 Craft Brewers Alliance, Inc. Portland OR
            8 New Belgium Brewing Co. Fort Collins CO
            9 High Falls Brewing Co. Rochester NY
            10 Spoetzl Brewery Shiner TX
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
              Despite the reputation of being the beverage of choice among the hipster, PBR is actually a better American Style Lager than anything at its price point. It's frequently cheaper than Bud, Miller, Coors, etc and actually tastes better. There are a few others that are cheaper but are way worse such as Hamm's.
              I am not one to drink Bud, Miller, or Coors (though Miller High Life is decent). I'm more of a microbrew person, but I don't drink all that much these days regardless.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                I am not one to drink Bud, Miller, or Coors (though Miller High Life is decent). I'm more of a microbrew person, but I don't drink all that much these days regardless.
                My fiancee and I have cut back on drinking but during the superbowl we had a few bourbon and sodas and holy crap, we were so hung over the next day. not drinking more than 1 beer for 2+weeks then drinking half a fifth over 7 hours...bad news bears.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post

And say what you want but look up the results of the Great American Beer festival. Pabst as a whole usually fares pretty well in the light American style lager category. But to be fair, that's like being king of the hobos.
                  Yep and driving through small Wisconsin towns and seeing a sign on the local Pizza Hut proclaiming it's was voted the best pizza in town doesn't elevate it from crap.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    Shiner!
                    DG Yuengling at 5 FTW!

As for ads, I liked the escape from old luxury Audi ad. Not the Kenny G ohh the humanity.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Was no one else floored when it turned out that McEnroe was the Hooded Menace?
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                        As for ads, I liked the escape from old luxury Audi ad. Not the Kenny G ohh the humanity.
                        I did rather like that one, although I don't think it "scored" very well in the rankings. Props to the much-maligned Kenny G for going along with the gag.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          Oh, and the Groupon ones were hilarious!
                          They were WTF?! for me. Forgot they were even Superbowl commercials until the article below. Then I had to come back to this thread to see if there was an discussion about it.

http://apolyton.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5925434

February 11, 2011, 1:14 PM
                          Groupon Withdraws Contentious Super Bowl Spots
                          By STUART ELLIOTT
                          Groupon is ending a campaign that made its debut on Super Bowl Sunday, days after making changes in response to considerable criticism of the ads.

The decision is a major setback for Groupon, the purveyor of online discount coupons, because the campaign represented its first national mainstream advertising.

The withdrawal of a Super Bowl ad after the game in the face of complaints is not unprecedented. Mars stopped running a spot for Snickers after the game in 2007 because it was deemed homophobic.

But such a corporate about-face, given the attention and costs involved, is a very public black eye.

“We hate that we offended people, and we’re very sorry that we did,” Andrew Mason, chief executive of Groupon, wrote in a post on Thursday on the corporate blog. “It’s the last thing we wanted.”

Groupon ran one commercial during Super Bowl XLV on Fox, featuring the actor Timothy Hutton, as well as one spot before the game and one after; those featured Cuba Gooding Jr. and Elizabeth Hurley.

All three spots, which carried the theme “Save the money,” were intended to spoof celebrity do-gooders who support causes like saving whales or the rain forest or urge the public to care about Tibetan refugees.

The stars in each spot started talking about a cause, then veered off to describe how they were saving money by using Groupon’s discount coupons.

The twist was that the campaign was also intended to help those causes, with Groupon matching donations that consumers would make to organizations like Greenpeace. There were explanations about the philanthropic component on a special Web site, savethemoney.org, and on a section of the Groupon Web site, savethemoney.groupon.com.

But the charitable element was never mentioned in the commercials, which led many viewers to perceive the parodies as callous and insensitive, mocking the causes and those who care about them.

Stung by bitter complaints that began as soon as the spots appeared, Mr. Mason posted an explanation on the corporate blog on Monday.

On Tuesday, the spots were re-edited to add language on screen about helping the causes: “Support the cause at savethemoney.org.” In some versions, voice-overs by an announcer, directing viewers to that Web site, were also added.

“But as many of you pointed out,” Mr. Mason wrote in his second post on the corporate blog, “if an ad requires an explanation, that means it didn’t work.”

“We thought we were poking fun at ourselves,” he added, “but clearly the execution was off and the joke didn’t come through.”

“I personally take responsibility,” Mr. Mason wrote. “Although we worked with a professional ad agency, in the end it was my decision to run the ads.”

That was a reference to Crispin Porter & Bogusky, part of MDC Partners, which is known for ads that take risks and break rules. Among its other clients are Best Buy, for which the agency created a Super Bowl spot with Justin Bieber and Ozzy Osbourne; Burger King; and Domino’s Pizza.

When Steve Sapka, a spokesman for Crispin Porter & Bogusky, was contacted on Friday, he referred inquiries to Groupon.

Mr. Mason wrote that Groupon and the agency would “run something less polarizing” in place of the “Save the money” campaign but did not describe what it would be or when it would appear.

The organizations are likely to receive $500,000 as a result of the campaign, he added.

The savethemoney.org Web site, where the information appeared about the charitable aspects of the campaign, has been taken down; anyone typing that Web address into a browser is now redirected to a local Groupon Web site.

On Groupon.com as of early Friday afternoon, there still remained information about how Groupon will match donations to one organization that was part of the “Save the Money” campaign, the Rainforest Action Network. There was a countdown clock indicating the offer would continue for another eight days.

There was to also have been a fourth commercial as part of the campaign, featuring the singer Sheryl Crow; it had been promoted as “coming soon” on savethemoney.org.

Groupon was the second Super Bowl sponsor to change its commercial in the face of withering criticism.

HomeAway, which specializes in online vacation-home rentals, re-edited its commercial and made changes to materials on its Web site after receiving numerous complaints that its spot was insensitive.
                          When I first saw the ads, I couldn't believe how stupid they were to make that kind of DFG-like joke. However, I just chalked it up to me getting older and out of touch.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                            They were WTF?! for me. Forgot they were even Superbowl commercials until the article below. Then I had to come back to this thread to see if there was an discussion about it.

http://apolyton.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5925434

When I first saw the ads, I couldn't believe how stupid they were to make that kind of DFG-like joke. However, I just chalked it up to me getting older and out of touch.
                            Yep, that is the type of jokes I would play.

Comment

you say this as if it were some kind of surprise that Imran was a PBR swilling hipster douchebag.
                              Self has the best post of the thread. Kid Vader would have been even more awesome as kid Obiwan.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

more of the vader kid!

Comment

Working...
                                X