No announcement yet.

Superbowl XLV - The Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, someone from Detroit told me that Chrysler doesn't even make cars in Detroit.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Eminem was born Marshall Bruce Mathers III on October 17, 1972 in Saint Joseph, Missouri, as the only child of Deborah R. Nelson Mathers-Briggs and Marshall Bruce Mathers, Jr.[19] He is of Scottish,[20] English, German, Swiss, Polish, and possibly Luxembourgian ancestry.[21] His father abandoned the family when he was 18 months old, and he was raised solely by his mother in poverty. By the age of 12, Mathers and his mother had moved between various cities and towns in Missouri (including Saint Joseph, Savannah, and Kansas City)[22] before they settled in Warren, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit.
      Another city slut.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        Well it's a bit different from mainstream sellout... the ad was basically a "Detroit's Back" ad and Emimen is very proud of being from the Motor City.
        It was an ad for the new Chrysler 200. Saying "Imported from Detroit" and "Detroit's Back" do not make it any less of a car ad. Supporting a failed city is nice, but it's kneejerk jingoism with a purpose. And how the hell does being a spokesperson for Daimler-Chrysler NOT comprise mainstream?

FWIW, I will defend to the death Mr. Mathers' right to cash in.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I liked the Coke ad even though I hate everything about Coke except their product.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
            It was an ad for the new Chrysler 200. Saying "Imported from Detroit" and "Detroit's Back" do not make it any less of a car ad. Supporting a failed city is nice, but it's kneejerk jingoism with a purpose. And how the hell does being a spokesperson for Daimler-Chrysler NOT comprise mainstream?

FWIW, I will defend to the death Mr. Mathers' right to cash in.
            That was only one of the two commercials which featured Eminem. Eminem in claymation-form was in a Brisk ad, as well.

And really? What the **** is wrong with you all? Unless you're in advertising/marketing, why the **** do you give a **** about these commercials (see other thread)?
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

You are an idiot. They are part of the entertainment.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You are an idiot. They are part of the entertainment.
                Are commercials during any normal tv show part of the entertainment, as well?
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

If you are comparing Super Bowl commercials, with their roughly $3 mil for 30 seconds adbuy, with ordinary commercials, then you've missed the point a looooong time ago.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

If you are comparing Super Bowl commercials, with their roughly $3 mil for 30 seconds adbuy, with ordinary commercials, then you've missed the point a looooong time ago.
                    Like i explored in the previous thread, the expense of these spots causes advertisers and marketing departments to really put in a lot of work and then they hype up their ads (ADS FOR SB ADS!) and so they managed to convince regular people that these commercials have value beyond normal commercials. No. They do not.

Let's get freaking real, people. If you're not in advertising or marketing, you should have absolutely no interest in Super Bowl commercials beyond the minimal interest a normal human being should show in any random advertisement. And yet, 'oh, Super Bowl commercials!' *bust a nut*

Is it because people who have no interest in football feel obligated to watch the game because a lot of other people are doing it (or they're at a friend's Super Bowl party) and they need something else to entertain them?

Is the interest people have the result of a conspiracy by advertisers to generate interest (they even advertise for their Super Bowl ads!). Maybe because SB ad spots are so expensive that advertisers and marketing departments spend a lot of time and effort on these ads so they create the facade of greater meaning beyond a normal commercial and successfully market their ads?

Enlighten me, Ming!

Comment

I liked the NFL TV show ad. The stuff was shopped in perfectly.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

And Imran, oh my god, you have become such a whore. You're a sports whore, a corporate whore, a pop culture whore, whatever is popular and everyone else is doing right now whore...

Comment

I'm a whore for wanting to see Super Bowl commercials? Which planet are you from where people don't want to see commercials for the Super Bowl?

Yeah, the added time and work for the ads usually makes them funnier or more inventive than other ads. That's why people want to see them. People STILL talk about the Budweiser frogs or the Bud Bowl (oh, how I miss the Bud Bowl).

Comment

I'm a whore for wanting to see Super Bowl commercials? Which planet are you from where people don't want to see commercials for the Super Bowl?

Like I said, the only reason you want to see these commercials is because everyone else is doing it. Everyone else is doing it because they think these commercials have special value. They think these commercials have value because the marketing/advertising people have convinced them that they have value, even going so far as to promote SB ads. Pause. Think about that. There were commercials promoting commercials (godaddy, budweiser, etc.). Commercials promoting commercials.

It's the process of institutionalization. The SB commercials have for no legitimate reason grown beyond being simple advertisements for products. They've become an institution in themselves for the sake of themselves supported by advertising firms.

There is no 'art' to these commercials anymore so than any other random commercial has 'art'. Why do these commercials get rated and appraised by non-marketers and no other commercials do?

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                              Like I said, the only reason you want to see these commercials is because everyone else is doing it.
                              Yep... It's a shared experience, something humans (unlike you) really enjoy.

Everyone else is doing it because they think these commercials have special value.
                              No... not special value, just the hopes that they are seeing the best commercials of the year. Good commercials can be entertaining as well as sell the product/service. Face it, commercial television in the US HAS commercials. The average person is exposed to over 5,800 messages a day (not just TV commercials, but all kinds of marketing). They are a part of our culture and GOOD ones are of interest to people.

They think these commercials have value because the marketing/advertising people have convinced them that they have value, even going so far as to promote SB ads. Pause. Think about that. There were commercials promoting commercials (godaddy, budweiser, etc.). Commercials promoting commercials.
                              No, they think they are interesting because they usually are. People are not as stupid as you are. People will talk about their favorite commercials the next day, and not because the "advertising/marketing" people have brainwashed them... they do it because they actually liked or hated the commercials.

It's the process of institutionalization. The SB commercials have for no legitimate reason grown beyond being simple advertisements for products. They've become an institution in themselves for the sake of themselves supported by advertising firms.
                              Maybe you should take some classes on human nature, since you don't seem to have any.

There is no 'art' to these commercials anymore so than any other random commercial has 'art'. Why do these commercials get rated and appraised by non-marketers and no other commercials do?
                              Art is what people see... commercials are a form of art, even if your limited brain doesn't understand that fact. And the reason why the commercials get rated by non marketers during the SB is because it is one of the few times that so many new commercials are shown in a single event (The Academy Awards being the second most)

If you don't give a crap, fine... but many people do. Just like most people don't give a damn about crappy rap music, yet you do.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                That was only one of the two commercials which featured Eminem. Eminem in claymation-form was in a Brisk ad, as well.
                                The co-opting/sellout is complete. Exactly my point. Good for you, Marshall!

And really? What the **** is wrong with you all? Unless you're in advertising/marketing, why the **** do you give a **** about these commercials (see other thread)?
                                The Super Bowl is the ultimate celebration of our consumer-driven society -- right up there with Christmas. Surely you've noticed this by now. No one really expects you to care. But that doesn't make the rest of the world wrong (or right).

The fact that most people are sheep being told what to see, what to like and what to buy, from colas to candidates, is simply magnified by the huge audience the Super Bowl draws. The fact that SB advertising has turned into its own separate promotional competition should be neither surprising nor upsetting.
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X