No announcement yet.

Quebec bans religious teaching in publicly subsidized daycares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you've resorted to acting the fool?
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
      All you believe in is presenting yourself to others as a good person so that they will praise you.
      Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
      No I do not use my own understanding to form my convictions on morality. I have a master and I follow His will not my own.
      So, all you believe in is presenting yourself as a good person so that your master will praise you.

Comment

So you've resorted to acting the fool?
        Christianity is the belief that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died for our sins.

There, I've expressed an idea I don't believe in.

Your turn: Give an unbiased, one sentence description of secular humanism.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

All you believe in is presenting yourself to others as a good person so that they will praise you.
          Nope, I don't abstain from hurting others because of some desire for praise.

Comment

• Kid, while I find secular systems of morality lacking as well, you're arguing very poorly here. I can't even tell what you're trying to say, you just bounce between different accusations of immorality or stupidity without adequate (or indeed any) support. Unless there's somebody else watching who gets what you're saying, I think it's totally futile to continue.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
              Kid, while I find secular systems of morality lacking as well, you're arguing very poorly here. I can't even tell what you're trying to say, you just bounce between different accusations of immorality or stupidity without adequate (or indeed any) support. Unless there's somebody else watching who gets what you're saying, I think it's totally futile to continue.
              Moving the source of morality from a set of unprovable axioms to a supernatural being does not improve its foundation
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Why are we arguing about religion? Are we trying to convert people? That never works, especially on the internet.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Unfortunately religious people like to make excuses to justify their prejudice against nonreligious people.

Comment

• Well I'm going to put my 2 cents in this. I don't think it's totally irrational to say you believe in a set of morals based on unprovable axioms. I would say that my intuition tells me that something is "right" or "wrong" and I may not be clever enough on my own to prove why that's the case, but I trust my intuition.

If given proof to the contrary, naturally it would be irrational to hold such positions. I don't think moral beliefs are unfalsifiable the way religious beliefs are.
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      Moving the source of morality from a set of unprovable axioms to a supernatural being does not improve its foundation
                      Sure it does, if the supernatural being exists.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        Well I'm going to put my 2 cents in this. I don't think it's totally irrational to say you believe in a set of morals based on unprovable axioms.
                        It can be rational to believe in a set of unprovable axioms, but only if believing in that set of unprovable axioms has a more efficient benefit to you than believing in something else. And in order for something to be "efficient" and "beneficial" there are still further unprovable axioms on which you have to base your morals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                          Christianity is the belief that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died for our sins.

There, I've expressed an idea I don't believe in.
                          So what?
                          Your turn: Give an unbiased, one sentence description of secular humanism.
                          Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            Kid, while I find secular systems of morality lacking as well, you're arguing very poorly here. I can't even tell what you're trying to say, you just bounce between different accusations of immorality or stupidity without adequate (or indeed any) support. Unless there's somebody else watching who gets what you're saying, I think it's totally futile to continue.
                            I don't care if anyone gets what I'm saying or not. If I understand it it's just fine with me.

Btw, the argument is "Can an atheist be elected Pres of teh USA?"

I responded with a negative and added that there is good reason why.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                              Nope, I don't abstain from hurting others because of some desire for praise.
                              I didn't say you refrain from hurting others. The accusation is that you refrain from hurting yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X