Quebec bans religious teaching in publicly subsidized daycares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    Unfortunately religious people like to make excuses to justify their prejudice against nonreligious people.
    I'm not trying to justify anything. I want to punch you in the face for being an atheist!
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
      I don't care if anyone gets what I'm saying or not. If I understand it it's just fine with me.
      You just can't make a decent argument.

Comment

I don't care if anyone gets what I'm saying or not. If I understand it it's just fine with me.

Btw, the argument is "Can an atheist be elected Pres of teh USA?"

I responded with a negative and added that there is good reason why.
        What reasons? What crimes would an atheist commit that the Bush administration never perpetrated?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          I don't think it's totally irrational to say you believe in a set of morals based on unprovable axioms.
          I would say that my intuition tells me that something is "right" or "wrong" and I may not be clever enough on my own to prove why that's the case, but I trust my intuition.

If given proof to the contrary, naturally it would be irrational to hold such positions. I don't think moral beliefs are unfalsifiable the way religious beliefs are.
          You didn't say a thing.

Comment

What reasons? What crimes would an atheist commit that Bush & company never perpetrated?
            Ever heard of Stalin?

Comment

Ever heard of Stalin?
              Yes... I've heard of Hitler too...

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                Moving the source of morality from a set of unprovable axioms to a supernatural being does not improve its foundation
                The way I see it, it does. I've never been able to see how morality can be meaningful without an explicit purpose to it, and "you should be moral because you should be moral" makes no more sense to me than "you should stuff cheese up your nose because you should stuff cheese up your nose." Which is not to say that I despise the irreligious or think they're all immoral or whatever, I just don't see the logical consistency in believing in a set of behaviors without clear justification for them.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Morality can only lack a justification if you're evil and self-serving.... if you're a good person then you care about the welfare of others...

Comment

Morality can only lack a justification if you're evil and self-serving.... if you're a good person then you care about the welfare of others...
                    A can only lack justification if you're not-A...if A then A.

****in' A!
                    1011 1100

Comment

• Pretty much.

Comment

• Why does anyone talk to K*d? He's like Ben, but worse.

Comment

• Kid is not even close to being in the same league of wretchedness as Ben.

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          Pretty much.
                          Well, as long as you realize this renders all moral claims/arguments, including "you should never, ever eat cheese on a Tuesday," equally (in)valid, more power to ya.
                          1011 1100

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            Well, as long as you realize this renders all moral claims/arguments, including "you should never, ever eat cheese on a Tuesday," equally (in)valid, more power to ya.
                            No, it does not. I said that morality concerns human welfare, and there is no evidence the eating cheese on Tuesday is harmful.

Comment

• Refusing to eat cheese on Tuesday only needs justification if you're evil and like to eat cheese on Tuesday. Equally valid logic!

Seriously, if you can't give me a non-tautological reason why I should engage in what amounts to a very complex and frequently inconvenient set of behaviors, why should I listen to you on the subject?
                              1011 1100

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                                Refusing to eat cheese on Tuesday only needs justification if you're evil and like to eat cheese on Tuesday. Equally valid logic!

Seriously, if you can't give me a non-tautological reason why I should engage in what amounts to a very complex and frequently inconvenient set of behaviors, why should I listen to you on the subject?
                                What is your non-tautological reason?

Comment

Working...
                                X