Recommend me a city in North America.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
    I like the sound of Marin County for personal reasons, but I'm afraid that I'll have to liquidate a lot of real estate assets in Russia to get 1M. Is the place really that expensive?

Oh, yes. And your $1 million will get you a small fixer upper but if you have the cash I'd highly recommend Sausalito. There are cheaper places in the bay area but that whole area is generally pretty expensive.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• It's not even that expensive here in Northern Virginia, yikes.

1 million will get you a pretty good house (with lots of bathrooms )
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Oerdin is exaggerating a bit. You can buy a nice place in Marin for $1M USD. Keep in mind that you can do so with a $250,000 USD down payment and borrow the rest. Your total housing costs (including insurance and taxes) would be about $5400 USD per month. My neighborhood is a bit more expensive and you would need to spend between $1.25M and $1.5M USD to buy a nice place. Again, you should be able to do so with a $350,000 USD down payment and borrow the rest. Your total housing costs (including insurance and taxes) would be about $7000 USD per month.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Oh also, the schools are better in the DC area

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
            Oerdin is exaggerating a bit. You can buy a nice place in Marin for $1M USD. Keep in mind that you can do so with a $250,000 USD down payment and borrow the rest. Your total housing costs (including insurance and taxes) would be about $5400 USD per month. My neighborhood is a bit more expensive and you would need to spend between $1.25M and $1.5M USD to buy a nice place. Again, you should be able to do so with a $350,000 USD down payment and borrow the rest. Your total housing costs (including insurance and taxes) would be about $7000 USD per month.
            Yeah, but you live in Mill Valley which is mostly vintage suburbia and you don't even get BART.

Comment

• He's OK with driving now.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Actually property prices have come down quite a bit in California due to the recession. My father just picked up a 3 bedroom/ 2.5 bath (built in 1986) with 2100 sq ft on a 1/3rd acre lot in Fletcher Hills (an area east of San Diego) for just $425,000 which he plans to rent out. Personally, it's a little to far east for me, I'm a delicate flower which needs coastal breezes & and a temperature which is just so , and east county is a good 10 degrees warmer in the summer and 10 degrees colder in the winter. In 2005 the place was bought for $688,000 but that guy got foreclosed on so it's a good rental property with potential. I've heard of single family homes built in the late 1970's in Santee (a white working class area with decent schools) selling for sub-$300,000. Again it's a bit to far east (in a valley behind the foothills so no coastal breezes) but it's a quality affordable area that's well connected by freeways and pretty centrally located (there is trolley service but you'll need a car to get to 90% of the places you want to visit). County wide I think the average cost of a single family home has come down from ~$800,000 to the upper $500,000's.

Comment

• Million dollar properties in KC:

City

Country

'Burbs
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• You do seem to get some great value for your money in KC. I'd be a little worried about buying an 85 year old house but damn if they don't look better then the modern cookie cutter stuff.

Comment

• TMM, is there a big difference between the Kansas side and the Missouri side?

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                        You do seem to get some great value for your money in KC. I'd be a little worried about buying an 85 year old house but damn if they don't look better then the modern cookie cutter stuff.
                        QFT regarding the cookie cutter suburb houses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          TMM, is there a big difference between the Kansas side and the Missouri side?
                          Mostly no, though the presence of Johnson County makes a great showing for the Kansas side.

Comment

• That's where I grew up and where my father still lives. I wanted to buy a home there but prices were a bit out of reach for me back in 2004 (when I was buying) so I ended up buying in Mira Mesa to the west.

Comment

• Nice lake!

Comment

• It actually held the world record large mouth bass for a while. It's not that big, only about 5 miles around, but the weekly fish stocking apparently gives them lots of smaller fish to gobble up. When I get home from work I'll need to jog my fat arse around it like I keep saying I'm going to.

Comment

Working...
                                X