No announcement yet.

Recommend me a city in North America.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite cities on the east coast besides NY and Boston are...
    Atlanta (hometown)
    Austin, TX great music and indie film community
    and Halifax, Nova Scotia beautiful clean city
    These are places I am recommending from personal experiences.
    What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
    What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
      ...why?
      Must you be so closed minded?
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
        I didn't expect Sausalito to be so cold in summer.
        It's right on the water. If you're worried about that then either move inland in the bay area or, if you want to stay on the water, move south of Point Conception because the water south of Point Conception is a warm current moving from the tropics north while the current north of Point Conception (basically northern California) comes from Alaska south so you get cold water.

More practical advice, will you be working and if so what field? Right now it is kind of hard to find a job if you don't already have one so it might be better to get a job and then move to where ever you have a job. That is unless you are independently wealthy and don't need to work. I guess you could be a Russian Oligarch or mafia boss.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Surprised to see the city where I live listed in the top 25.
          And yes, using percentages seems a bit silly. 100% of nothing is still nothing. And I'm sure you'd find more in Chicago and NY then the top 25 combined.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• O: If you're looking for culture as the top priority, then you probably want to stick to some of the top metro areas in the US: NYC, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, and Washington DC, in that order. Quality theater is a little hard to come by in the US -- NYC is the undisputed king here although I understand that San Francisco has a good scene.

Art is strong in NYC and to a lesser extent Washington (it lacks some depth and variety of art forms). Don't know about how strong the art scene is in LA, Chicago and San Francisco. I liked Chicago's museums, but only had a short time to visit, so can't judge how deep they are -- they tend toward the sciences rather than art.

These are of course among the most expensive places to live in the US. Chicago is probably the cheapest among the five due to the cold winter weather. I have a favorable impression of Chicago, although I have only visited twice.

I would suggest a few visits to the US before making the jump, if you can afford it. You may find that you can live in the second culture tier cities, or you may find that even the lower end of the top 5 isn't for you. YMMV.

Good luck!
            Last edited by DanS; August 11, 2011, 17:06.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun View Post
              Must you be so closed minded?
              Put up or shut up.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• housing costs

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                What about payments to HOA/whatever? What's their typical amount?
                Actually, I was including Mortgage, taxes, and insurance. These homes are not in a Home Owner's Association so there would be no HOA. Thus, my figures would represent the total cost.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                  I didn't expect Sausalito to be so cold in summer.
                  Actually, the warmest part of the year here is Sept. and Oct.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                    It's right on the water. If you're worried about that then either move inland in the bay area or, if you want to stay on the water, move south of Point Conception because the water south of Point Conception is a warm current moving from the tropics north while the current north of Point Conception (basically northern California) comes from Alaska south so you get cold water.

More practical advice, will you be working and if so what field? Right now it is kind of hard to find a job if you don't already have one so it might be better to get a job and then move to where ever you have a job. That is unless you are independently wealthy and don't need to work. I guess you could be a Russian Oligarch or mafia boss.
                    I'm an IT BA/PM, so I need a place with lots of IT firms or bank HQs that is not Texas.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• Best places for tech jobs right now (the article was written in 2009 so specific market conditions have no doubt changed)
                      1. Atlanta
                      2. Boston
                      3. Houston
                      4. Huntsville
                      5. New York
                      6. Phoenix
                      7. San Diego
                      8. San Francisco
                      9. Seattle
                      10. Washington D.C.

It was based on current job openings advertised at the time so I'm not sure how much faith to put into that assessment. It would be useful to find a list of total IT employment by city, ranked from most number of actual people employed to least, and then compare it to a similiar list of banking employees in each city. That should tell you where the jobs in your field are located.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Ls vegas is THE city in north america .

Comment

• Northern Virginia has a lot of tech. Much of it is government contractors, but there are a lot of datacenters in Ashburn, Virginia.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• HeadquartersThe following companies and organizations (excluding educational institutions) are among the larger one's headquartered in the metro area (noting cities of headquarters office if not Kansas City, MO):

American Century Investments, a major investment management firm
                            AMC Theatres, a major movie theater chain
                            Andrews McMeel Universal, a syndication and publication company which represents media/entertainment features such as Dear Abby, Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes and Doonesbury
                            Applebee's, a major restaurant chain - Lenexa, Kansas
                            Black & Veatch Corporation, major engineering firm
                            Burns & McDonnell Engineering, an engineering and architectural firm
                            Cerner, leading supplier of healthcare information technology solutions - North Kansas City, Missouri
                            Church of the Nazarene
                            Commerce Bancshares, a bank serving Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois
                            Community of Christ, International Headquarters, Independence, MO
                            DeMolay International
                            DST Systems, Inc., global provider of sophisticated information processing and computer software services and products
                            CenturyLink, formerly Embarq Corporation, large telecommunications company (headquarters in Monroe, Louisiana)
                            Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
                            Ferrellgas, the nation's largest retailer and distributor of natural gas
                            Fort Dodge Animal Health, a major animal health pharmaceutical and vaccine manufacturer and a division of Wyeth - Overland Park, Kansas
                            Freightquote.com, Online 3rd party logistics provider -Lenexa, Kansas
                            Garmin, largest maker of GPS-based electronics - Olathe, Kansas
                            Hallmark Cards, largest maker of greeting cards in the U.S.
                            HNTB Corporation, large architectural and engineering firm
                            H&R Block, financial corporation and former parent company of CompuServe, known mostly for their income tax preparation services
                            Inergy, L.P., one of the nation's largest retailers and distributors of natural gas
                            Interstate Bakeries Corporation, makers of Twinkies and Wonder Bread (recently moved headquarters to Irving, Texas)
                            International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders, Blacksmiths, Forgers and Helpers
                            J. E. Dunn Construction Group, major construction contractor
                            Kansas City Board of Trade, a commodity futures and options exchange
                            Kansas City Power and Light Company, a leading regulated provider of electricity and energy-related products and services
                            Kansas City Southern Industries, operators of a Class I railroad
                            Lockton Companies, the largest privately held insurance brokerage in the nation
                            National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA)
                            Newport Television - one of the largest privately held broadcasting companies in the United States
                            North Kansas City Hospital - North Kansas City, Missouri
                            People to People International, a voluntary organization founded by President Dwight Eisenhower
                            Peterson Manufacturing Company, a leading manufacturer of vehicle lighting - Grandview, Missouri
                            Populous (formerly HOK Sport + Venue + Event), a major sports architectural firm
                            Reece and Nichols Realtors Inc., a large real estate sales/brokerage firm
                            Russell Stover Candies
                            Sprint Nextel Corporation, one of the world's largest telecommunication companies - Overland Park, KS
                            Perceptive Software, makers of "Image NOW" software - Shawnee, Kansas
                            UMB Financial Corporation, a large commercial bank serving a multistate area of the Midwest
                            Unity Church
                            Veterans of Foreign Wars
                            Waddell & Reed, a large investment management and brokerage firm - Overland Park, Kansas
                            Walton Construction, a major construction contractor
                            Wolferman's bakery
                            YRC Worldwide Inc., known mostly from its former name and brand "Yellow Freight", one of the largest transportation service providers in the world - Overland Park, Kansas
                            The Kansas City Federal Reserve Bank is one of the U.S.'s twelve such banks.
                            Last edited by The Mad Monk; August 12, 2011, 10:37.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• The Mad Monk = KC Civic Booster
                              Frankly, in most cases it is not to our advantage to encourage more people to move to where we live.

BTW - Data Centers != IT Jobs
                              Most Data Centers only employ 24 hour rent a cops and rack and stack people

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
                                The Mad Monk = KC Civic Booster
                                Frankly, in most cases it is not to our advantage to encourage more people to move to where we live.

BTW - Data Centers != IT Jobs
                                Most Data Centers only employ 24 hour rent a cops and rack and stack people
                                There's also network infrastructure and stuff, I know there are IT jobs there. Not sure how many.
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X