No announcement yet.

Cameron's Big Society

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys don't get it. The graduation rate is meaningless. In fact, it's bull ****. It's a lie. Americans aren't smart.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Right because public schools are doing an awesome job of educating people.

Yes, Ben. The state school my kids are at has an "Outstanding" rating from OFSTED, but don't let inconvenient facts spoil your flights of fancy.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Has it at 68 percent overall, no distinction between public/private/homeschooled folks.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

http://www.edweek.org/media/ew/dc/20...sKit_FINAL.pdf

Has it at 68 percent overall, no distinction between public/private/homeschooled folks.
          In the class of 2007, the most recent year for which data are available, 68.8 percent of all public school
          students in the nation graduated from high school with a regular diploma.

Comment

The state school my kids are at has an "Outstanding" rating from OFSTED, but don't let inconvenient facts spoil your flights of fancy.
            So what's the scale?

Outstanding
            Superb
            Excellent
            Incredible
            Incomparable
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

In the class of 2007, the most recent year for which data are available, 68.8 percent of all public school
              students in the nation graduated from high school with a regular diploma.
              Your point? Where does it distinguish between public/private schools?

Comment

68.8 percent of all public school students

You idiot.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Your point? Where does it distinguish between public/private schools?
                  Your source specifically states that 68% of public school students graduate from high school.

Comment

Don't parse it out like that. It makes it difficult to read.

The graduation rate reached its historical high in 1969, peaking at 77 percent.
                    I don't see why 68 percent is something to brag about.

High schools have been declining for 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      As a whole? Yes it is good. I thought my public education was very good indeed.
                      I think its cute when people defend their public schooling experiences.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I don't see why 68 percent is something to brag about.

High schools have been declining for 40 years.
                        Opposings facts don't ever change your arguments, do they?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So what's the scale?

Outstanding
                          Superb
                          Excellent
                          Incredible
                          Incomparable

From the top, working downwards-

Outstanding
                          Good
                          Satisfactory
                          Inadequate
                          Could have produced Ben Kenobi.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Opposings facts don't ever change your arguments, do they?
                            Facts are an inconvenient thing when they don't support your argument.

Comment

Outstanding
                              Good
                              Satisfactory
                              Inadequate
                              Could have produced Ben Kenobi.
                              What percentage receive each rating?

Comment

this is actually a potentially interesting thread, or at least it would be if people don't go down the usual route with ben...

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                                It can't fail. After all, who among us doesn't run museums and schools in our spare time?
                                hmm, well actually a lot of (small) museums are run by enthusiasts and volunteers at the moment. even the national trust, for example, relies heavily on volunteers.

also do you think that the 'free schools' in sweden are screwing up children's education at the moment? there are many good schools in the UK, but there are also a lot of bad ones, and no one can deny this. i went to a bad school in london for a couple of years, and believe me, it was bad! the fact that there are still so many bad schools in this country is a national disgrace. it's time to open up the state education market to competition.

i like the thinking behind the big society. i believe passionately that people ought to get involved in their local communities to make things better, rather than just waiting for the state to solve every difficulty or issue.
                                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                                X