Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christianity ruins families.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wiglaf
    replied
    PM me your parents' names and I can add them to the watchlist. They'll still be able to fly, but not easily.

    Leave a comment:


  • Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    Originally posted by Asher View Post


    They haven't come around yet?
    Not in the slightest, unfortunately.

    Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    I find your conversion to Christianity very strange, Imran. Would you be willing to talk about it a bit? How do you go from Islam to agnosticism and then to Christianity? What turned you off from Islam? What does Christianity provide for you that isn't provided by Islam? And what happened to your agnostic beliefs?
    Atheist actually. And Asher is somewhat right. I started going to church because my girlfriend is a big believer (though the rare good kind of Christian, who loves everyone and is not really interested in condemning people to Hell, though she does believe it exists). I wanted to support her because it was a big thing in her life. So I went a few times and started to realize that I was feeling the Spirit (which is somewhat hard to explain). Where I'd just stand for respect during praise and worship, I felt more and more the presence of God; and found that the people there were so full of love and joy and I wanted that feeling of love towards people. It was so totally unlike other Christians I knew. They were completely loving and accepting, even though they knew I was an atheist (my gf told me not to be shy about my beliefs). So I gradually decided to be open to whatever was there for me.

    Basically the difference between Islam and Christianity for me was that I didn't feel the presence of God while praying as a Muslim. I think it is because of the stress on love that true Christianity has. That notion of loving everyone, even your enemy, is so absolutely powerful and the people that try to live for that ideal have such inner joy and peace, that I'm just scratching the surface on.

    That was kind of a ramble about how I accepted Jesus Christ and his gospel. Since then, I've been voraciously reading; and not just the Bible, but theological books, especially those touching on the emerging church, which seeks to explain the Living Word in the context of our postmodern culture.

    FWIW, my girlfriend put absolutely NO pressure on me to accept Christianity (though apparently her folks were antsy about her dating an atheist when we started going out - they were exceedingly nice however).

    Leave a comment:


  • Asher
    replied
    I will let him tell the story.

    Leave a comment:


  • Al B. Sure!
    replied
    Wait... Imran converted for a woman?! Are you serious?

    Leave a comment:


  • Asher
    replied
    He's head over heels in love with his girl. It helps.

    Leave a comment:


  • Al B. Sure!
    replied
    I find your conversion to Christianity very strange, Imran. Would you be willing to talk about it a bit? How do you go from Islam to agnosticism and then to Christianity? What turned you off from Islam? What does Christianity provide for you that isn't provided by Islam? And what happened to your agnostic beliefs?

    Leave a comment:


  • Asher
    replied
    Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    Islam also ruins families. My parents found out that I converted to Christianity (damn Facebook lack of privacy settings to blame!) and basically told me that they don't want to speak to me again.


    They haven't come around yet?

    Leave a comment:


  • Asher
    replied
    Considering he's an atheist and she's pretty indifferent, I don't think they'll raise the kids religious.

    Leave a comment:


  • Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    Islam also ruins families. My parents found out that I converted to Christianity (damn Facebook lack of privacy settings to blame!) and basically told me that they don't want to speak to me again.

    Leave a comment:


  • Al B. Sure!
    replied
    When they have kids, that could get VERY problematic. Have they discussed how they would raise the kids? Would they be baptised? Attend church at all? etc. Grandmom might have a fit.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrFun
    replied
    Someone needs to teach that crazy woman about inclusive love and radical hospitality, as Jesus had taught.

    Leave a comment:


  • Al B. Sure!
    replied
    Ben's family is Anglican. They're heretical.

    Leave a comment:


  • Asher
    replied
    Originally posted by Zanzozz View Post
    Nice, so your parents pay for most of your post secondary education, help pay for living expenses, transportation, and groceries, and you want to trade them in for parents that are religious bigots like you. Maybe when these much better parents give you a gift for Christmas, it won't be something you hate and whine about on Apolyton.

    Please move down to Texas so the rest of the family can be away from your insanity.


    Wow, Brotherly Love.

    Mad props to you, though

    Yet another family ruined by Christianity.

    Leave a comment:


  • Zanzozz
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Hey, I have an idea, why don't we swap sets of parents. You guys can have mine and I'll have hers.

    You didn't mention what church her family went to. May I ask?
    Nice, so your parents pay for most of your post secondary education, help pay for living expenses, transportation, and groceries, and you want to trade them in for parents that are religious bigots like you. Maybe when these much better parents give you a gift for Christmas, it won't be something you hate and whine about on Apolyton.

    Please move down to Texas so the rest of the family can be away from your insanity.

    Leave a comment:


  • -Jrabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by Asher View Post
    I think the mom's just build up in their minds, for years, an idyllic perfect wedding and become neurotic about it as it approaches and they realize it didn't match their vision.
    Actually, that's usually the bride's role. This is more about loss of control or, more to the point, loss of a child.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X