Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christianity ruins families.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Asher
    replied
    Originally posted by Elok View Post
    Uh, that last bit sounds like a very bad idea. Most of what needs to be said about the family has already been said, except I'd say the mother is unusually extreme. My Buddhist brother's in-laws are the most out-there believers I've met, and they can be pretty judgmental, but even they don't refuse to talk to them. Also, if your brother and sister-in-law are planning to have kids, this shunning BS is going to pretty well vanish when the first one pops out. I won't guarantee it or anything, but few mortal women have the power to resist a baby grandchild.
    Being drunk is never a bad idea.

    Leave a comment:


  • MOBIUS
    replied
    Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    None.

    Yes, but I'd probably want to switch churches. Though (*knock on wood*), I don't see that happening .
    I can't believe you supposedly religious types think it's OK to chop and change religions and denominations out of some personal whim or because of chasing some tail, or because it doesn't work out etc...

    Leave a comment:


  • Elok
    replied
    Originally posted by Asher View Post
    The whole wedding is going to be a cluster ****. My mom outed me to the extended family via email (I did NOT ask her to, or want her to)..but she insisted it was best to do so before the extended family got shocked I was there with a guy.

    My extended family in Ontario is...hickish. All from small towns, very "faithful", work in factories, etc.

    I suspect I will need to be drunk early and often.
    Uh, that last bit sounds like a very bad idea. Most of what needs to be said about the family has already been said, except I'd say the mother is unusually extreme. My Buddhist brother's in-laws are the most out-there believers I've met, and they can be pretty judgmental, but even they don't refuse to talk to them. Also, if your brother and sister-in-law are planning to have kids, this shunning BS is going to pretty well vanish when the first one pops out. I won't guarantee it or anything, but few mortal women have the power to resist a baby grandchild.

    Leave a comment:


  • Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    What denomination?
    None.

    And would you honestly still feel the same way if you two broke up?
    Yes, but I'd probably want to switch churches. Though (*knock on wood*), I don't see that happening .

    Leave a comment:


  • Jon Miller
    replied
    Sorry.

    But sometimes you do have changes to make the family happy. I know times when alcohol wasn't offered or dancing wasn't, so that the in-laws would feel comfortable. The mother isn't making anyone say grace after all?

    By the way, atheism runs in families even more than Christianity, as in that the children of atheists are less likely to not be an atheist compared to the children of Christians not being a Christian.

    JM

    Leave a comment:


  • Robert
    replied
    The mother is crazy, but your brother and his fiancee are crazy if they're going to ruin their day over something as stupid as that.
    People are crazy, sometimes a small sacrifice has to be made for the greater good.

    And then after the marriage send the mother a letter in which they politely describe how much they were shocked by the very unchristian attitude of her and how her behavior confirmed your brother in his atheistic believes, but that despite of that they want to stay in touch and they want to forgive her.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrFun
    replied
    Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    Atheist actually. And Asher is somewhat right. I started going to church because my girlfriend is a big believer (though the rare good kind of Christian, who loves everyone and is not really interested in condemning people to Hell, though she does believe it exists). I wanted to support her because it was a big thing in her life. So I went a few times and started to realize that I was feeling the Spirit (which is somewhat hard to explain). Where I'd just stand for respect during praise and worship, I felt more and more the presence of God; and found that the people there were so full of love and joy and I wanted that feeling of love towards people. It was so totally unlike other Christians I knew. They were completely loving and accepting, even though they knew I was an atheist (my gf told me not to be shy about my beliefs). So I gradually decided to be open to whatever was there for me.

    Basically the difference between Islam and Christianity for me was that I didn't feel the presence of God while praying as a Muslim. I think it is because of the stress on love that true Christianity has. That notion of loving everyone, even your enemy, is so absolutely powerful and the people that try to live for that ideal have such inner joy and peace, that I'm just scratching the surface on.

    That was kind of a ramble about how I accepted Jesus Christ and his gospel. Since then, I've been voraciously reading; and not just the Bible, but theological books, especially those touching on the emerging church, which seeks to explain the Living Word in the context of our postmodern culture.

    FWIW, my girlfriend put absolutely NO pressure on me to accept Christianity (though apparently her folks were antsy about her dating an atheist when we started going out - they were exceedingly nice however).
    awesome stuff

    Leave a comment:


  • Al B. Sure!
    replied
    Mothers can be evil *****es who curse the day you were born and destroyed all her youthful aspirations.

    My scenario is far more common than even divorces

    Leave a comment:


  • SlowwHand
    replied
    Half of all marriages end in divorce. Mothers are set in stone.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    And Flubber wanted me to admit I was wrong.

    Damn, just damn. Welcome to the party Imran.

    Leave a comment:


  • Al B. Sure!
    replied
    Yeah. I remember a lot of random facts about you, Sean

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    Ben's family is Anglican. They're heretical.
    As you can see, they are *very* different from me.
    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; June 22, 2010, 02:00.

    Leave a comment:


  • Al B. Sure!
    replied
    What denomination?

    And would you honestly still feel the same way if you two broke up?

    Atheism to faith is a rare conversion, especially following an Islamic background. Unusual is all.

    Leave a comment:


  • Imran Siddiqui
    replied
    I actually believe Wiggy was trying to altruistic there

    Leave a comment:


  • Asher
    replied

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X