Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the gov't legislate what people buy with food stamps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    Then there's very little that would prevent an addict from getting his twinkies... especially food stamp regulations.
    Precisely. As I mentioned before, food stamps are essentially fungible into cash. Customers would buy cigarettes with cash and food with food stamps. Clearly, the food stamps are subsidizing the tobacco habit. There is no countermeasure for this.

In fact food stamps are fungible into crack too. They allow you to buy drugs with what would otherwise be food money, and use food stamps as a replacement for food money.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• So let's take a step back here... Do any of you have ideas on how to alleviate the obesity problem in this country?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• If anyone wants to disbelieve my observation about food stamps financing cigarettes, please take note that it is entirely based on significant amounts of personal observation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
          So let's take a step back here... Do any of you have ideas on how to alleviate the obesity problem in this country?
          Education. Teach people better ways to value things. If this doesn't work, sucks, we'll just have to wait until the culture changes if it ever does.

Comment

Where? Show me. I apologize if I wasn't clear. I sometimes think people have the same knowledge on these things that I do and I say half-points assuming people would fill in the rest of the blanks themselves and not misunderstand me.
            No, you don't get to use that dodge. You had no ****ing clue what you were talking about, because you are so dumb and so emotional about the issue that you can't respond with anything but the most basic rhetorical ploys.

Recap of the conversation:

HC: if you decrease supply, prices will rise and consumption will fall

You: NO THE PRICE ELASTICITY OF DEMAND FOR CRACK IS ZERO

Me: that's probably not true for people who don't have any more money to spend

You: NO PEOPLE ARE IRRATIONAL YOU CAN'T USE ECONOMICS HAVE YOU EVER LIVED IN THE HOOD

Then we back and forth for a while until you realize how thoroughly you've been pwned, and admit that if supply decreases then consumption will also decrease. Which means that the only "plausible" complaint you have with HC's claim is that prices will rise, i.e. you think if supply falls prices will stay the same.

Comment

So let's take a step back here... Do any of you have ideas on how to alleviate the obesity problem in this country?
              Not letting morons like you have any kind of input on policy decisions would be a good start.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                Not letting morons like you have any kind of input on policy decisions would be a good start.
                Unfortunately morons usually end up deciding who is a moron, so we're consigned to universal suffrage.

Comment

• By the way, it's utterly bizarre to have you trying [and failing] to make an argument about elasticity in the same thread you've denied the applicability of the economic mode entirely.

Comment

• Edit
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• We're talking about FOOD STAMPS, not fat taxes! What the hell? These things are opposites!

Oh you mother ****er, you don't get to just DanS your own self pwnage

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Riesstiu IV View Post
                          That character is the most annoying obnoxious character in any video game ever and no one plays as him because he sucks and I renamed him to ****FACE in the game, no I will not make that my avatar. He's like hitler only a video game character and doesn't kill jews or invade poland

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                            Do you actually want people to think you're a Nazi? And that you lack any real critical thinking ability?
                            It's pretty sad. And not even funny.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Restrictions on food stamps should have a similar effect as a fat tax because you're effectively increasing the cost of junk by forcing food stamp recipients to purchase junk with other sources of income... cash is more valuable than food stamps.

I only edited it because I changed my mind about how I felt about the study.

Comment

Restrictions on food stamps should have a similar effect as a fat tax because you're effectively increasing the cost of junk by forcing food stamp recipients to purchase junk with other sources of income... cash is more valuable than food stamps.
                                But everyone buys food anyways, so unless they give you more food stamps than you ACTUALLY NEED or you don't have ANY ACTUAL CASH, they are financing bad habits.

What I'm saying is that food stamps are essentially just as valuable to these people as cash unless they have more food stamps than they actually need.

Comment

Working...
                                X