Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the gov't legislate what people buy with food stamps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't the gov't legislate what people buy with food stamps?

If the government really wants to do something about obesity, why not control what millions of Americans (and the demographic most prone to obesity) eat by a means that should not offend anyone on any side of the political aisle? I'm talking about controlling what food stamp recipients can buy with their food stamps.

A system of nutritional control is already in place with the WIC program and food stamps already preclude the buying of certain things such as non-food items or prepared food.

It doesn't have to be extreme and controversial with some USDA rulings that can be manipulated by the vegetarian crowd or something. It can be something much simpler and universally agreed upon such as not permitting the purchase of potato chips, cakes, soda, and other virtually universally agreed upon 'bad' foods.

Makes sense to me and to re-use a phrase I used to use so often on Apolyton: Am I missing something?

Thanks.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Am I missing something?

Yes.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What, pray tell?
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The realization that not everybody values the same things you do.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The realization that the gov't seems to care a lot about health concerns and the obesity epidemic lately? The realization that there was a legitimate movement to tax soda on the federal level in this country? The realization that a number of communities have banned fast food franchises?

There are powerful forces in the government eager to legislate health. Why not do it in this way that makes the most sense?

Comment

All of which are retarded and repugnant. What is your point?
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Stop DanSing.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So I was in the supermarket yesterday and it's the first week of the month so food stamp time. All around me, I looked at people's carts. I'd say typically, half of the cart is filled with normal groceries... bread, cereal, eggs, meat, milk, etc. Some of that stuff is questionable (like microwaveable chicken nuggets and stuff like that) but the other half of the stuff people would get was absurd.

The (extremely obese) couple in front of me with a toddler in one of their two shopping carts were buying I counted 13 boxes of Tastykake/Lil Debbie snack cakes (each box has approx. 12 servings), 6 extra jumbo bags of potato chips, 4 12-packs of Mountain Dew, Coke, Orange soda, and something else, and a few packs of Snickers, etc. funpacks.

I mean the issue isn't the parents and their obesity. It's the freaking toddler that is basically forced to eat like a fat **** for the next 16 years of his life.

Comment

by a means that should not offend anyone on any side of the political aisle

It can be something much simpler and universally agreed upon such as not permitting the purchase of potato chips, cakes, soda

In particular, I take issue with your characterization that this wouldn't offend anybody, and is something everybody should agree with.

I'm offended by your suggestion that you know better than poor people what they should value.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    All of which are retarded and repugnant. What is your point?
                    It is retarded and repugnant to try to not have a nation of fat asses?

Fat ass nation means higher health care costs, fewer and less fit soldiers for our national defence.

It affects all of us.

Comment

Yes.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        I'm offended by your suggestion that you know better than poor people what they should value.
                        Umm.. when it's OUR tax dollars going to it, I think we as American taxpayers have the RIGHT to determine what poor people value with OUR money.

Comment

If you don't want to eat junk food then don't. Other people place more value on eating things they like and less on being in shape. Utility is maximized when people are free to express their preferences.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's tax dollars being used for this, KH. That's what makes this bigger than personal preference. Same as how we as Americans should be able to control the food served in public schools. It's our money being used.

Comment

I don't have a problem with people deciding that lil debbie cakes are worth being obese, but I do dislike it when people don't try to teach their kids to eat healthy.

Comment

Working...
                              X