Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the gov't legislate what people buy with food stamps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact is, the government already legislates certain things like prepared food can not be purchased with food stamps. The government also already has a program (WIC) which sets nutritional guidelines and prevents people from buying certain things deemed inappropriate by some government agency.

The gov't has already instituted this stuff for decades now. Why not apply it further to food stamps?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
      Umm.. when it's OUR tax dollars going to it, I think we as American taxpayers have the RIGHT to determine what poor people value with OUR money.
      Why the **** are you confusing a normative discussion about what authority the government SHOULD CHOOSE TO EXERCISE with a discussion about what authority the government COULD CHOOSE TO EXERCISE?
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Lil Debbie cakes
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

It's tax dollars being used for this, KH. That's what makes this bigger than personal preference. Same as how we as Americans should be able to control the food served in public schools. It's our money being used.
          You must seriously be ****ing retarded to think that this is at all relevant.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

WIC-eligible foods:

Why not come up with something comparable for the food stamp program?
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The fact is, the government already legislates certain things like prepared food can not be purchased with food stamps. The government also already has a program (WIC) which sets nutritional guidelines and prevents people from buying certain things deemed inappropriate by some government agency.

The gov't has already instituted this stuff for decades now. Why not apply it further to food stamps?
              So, because the government already destroys utility by playing paternalist with the wealth it redistributes it should therefore choose to destroy more utility by extending its paternalism?

Is this the extent of your reasoning?
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yes because the utility is increased in other ways... like lower health care costs, not dying of diabetes... stuff like that.

In the grand scheme of things... lil debbie cake < not dying of heart disease, diabetes, etc.

Comment

Because what will happen is that people will agree to buy your food stamps less a percentage for themselves.

Then they can spend the money on what they want to buy, and the person with the food stamps makes a profit.

This is why food stamps really aren't a great idea, and why limiting what people can buy with food stamps is silly. You might as well just increase the stipend by the amount of foodstamps that people are given.

The only people who benefit from the restriction are the grocery stores, and the people who purchase food stamps.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Ben:

THAT already happens. The sale of food stamps. Typically 60 cents on the dollar is the going rate here.

Comment

If people want to take the increased risk of dying of diabetes then they should be allowed to. How the hell am I supposed to judge what value another person SHOULD put on their health?

As far as health costs, ideally these would be borne by the individual themselves. As they are not there is an uncompensated externality. However, it's my suspicion that obesity mostly brings more of the costs earlier rather than changing the NPV of the costs by very much.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        However, it's my suspicion that obesity mostly brings more of the costs earlier rather than changing the NPV of the costs by very much.
                        This is something that would need to be further explored. Let's not take this as an established fact yet. Traditionally, as far as I've read and seen, it is viewed that health issues result in higher costs across the board.

Comment

Albert Speer certainly seems to be going out of his way to prove my point that most calls for government paternalism are motivated by an esthetic choice about other people's utility functions rather than any rational argument...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

And I know you don't give a crap about children but for those that do, to reiterate, another concern is that the children do not have the agency to make these decisions concerning their future health. That is the logic behind something like WIC I suppose, to ensure that children receive a proper diet (a child will not be a healthy growing child if all they eat is tastykakes and drink soda)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                              Because what will happen is that people will agree to buy your food stamps less a percentage for themselves.

Then they can spend the money on what they want to buy, and the person with the food stamps makes a profit.

This is why food stamps really aren't a great idea, and why limiting what people can buy with food stamps is silly. You might as well just increase the stipend by the amount of foodstamps that people are given.

The only people who benefit from the restriction are the grocery stores, and the people who purchase food stamps.
                              Since it would further limit the usefulness of food stamps, I think AS's proposal would actually lower the going rate on the black market.

Comment

1) What's the utility function of a toddler?

2) Who gives a **** about utility?!

There are more important things in this world than economic utility. Like not dying from heart disease. Like human betterment.

Comment

Working...
                                X