Ancestry Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Thread

Since I got the genetics testing results back yesterday, and talking with a couple of people identified as 4th/5th cousins on the site, I got really interested in researching the family tree. I knew almost nothing offhand.

My dad's side I still know almost nothing about. But to my complete shock, googling my full name returned me as part of an EXTENSIVE family tree for my mom's side. Whoever did this must've spent many years mapping it out. He last modified it in 2001, but it contains 8021 descendants for 16 generations.

Through it, I've discovered...at least for my mom's side...we've been in North America since ~1630. 3 Brothers left Yorkshire, England for the new world, and settled down in Boston.

They stayed in New England until ~1850, when they moved to Canada.

I'd been told the family's been here for many, many generations but I'd really no idea.

I need to start digging around for my dad's side now.

Anyone else interested in this stuff?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Your ancestry doesn't concern me... so, no.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Yours, stupid.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'm related to the French side of the Bourbon family, so basically all the kings of France etc - but then being largely French is not really something to brag about on poly, so I keep it secret.
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

One of my relatives was a cabin boy on Christopher Newport's expedition. Hoping to find gold he elected to stay at Jamestown, along with all the other cabin boys. When the resupply expedition arrived the next year he was the only cabin boy left alive. He returned to England. A few decades later one of his sons got exiled to Barbados, then after ten years was freed and allowed to emigrate to Virginia as a Quaker missionary. He built one of the first roads leading west of the Tidewater region.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Anyone else interested in this stuff?
            I've got an uncle who's really big into doing this. He's found the original home for pretty much everyone on my mom's side.

English/German/Anglo-Irish and Norwegian.
            Last edited by Ben Kenobi; May 26, 2010, 18:42.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm interested, but much of mine tends to disappear in the chaos of 19th century London. I suppose I haven't looked too hard but one great-grandfather first appears as a child in the Islington workhouse in North London, with no documented parents. They were French immigrants according to verbal history, but little more is known. Another branch appears for the first time as German immigrants in Bethnal Green, East London.

I hope to find out more some day, but I seem to be a mixture of English, German, French, Scottish and Welsh ancestry. This kind of mix is probably typical for many Londoners.

Comment

Apparently I'm related to Rachel Jackson, Andrew Jackson's wife. It's on my mom's side. Seeing as they had no kids there is no lineage.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

I am curious about my heritage but I know nothing and I expect that since my family has only been in America within the past 50 years (with my father's side still not here) that it would be difficult if not impossible to find more information. You Anglos are lucky.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I am Hitler's grandson.

Comment

My cousin-in-law researched my dad's side. They got here from Ireland in 1796, in Tennessee. I'm Irish/Scot heredity.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

1/2 Scottish*, 3/8ths English, and 1/8th French Canadian. I don't know what is worse being part French or being part canuck.

* = There is likely a slight amount of Irish in the early 19th century or late 18th century due to my paternal grandmother's last name. We don't talk about that though especially since my father's parents are Scottish protestants who grew up in the 1910's-1920's when there was a lot of Catholic-Protestant troubles.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                          My cousin-in-law researched my dad's side. They got here from Ireland in 1796, in Tennessee. I'm Irish/Scot heredity.
                          We share a heritage, except you are a recent immigrant.

You're lucky we let you in, son.

Comment

You're lucky we came to save the day.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You even came after the war of independence. You came back just in time to lose the war of 1812.

Comment

Working...
                              X