Sex abuse scandal. Guess the religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like Jesus?
    Like Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. I suppose Paul and Peter count too. Oh wait, that's pretty much the entire NT...
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Like Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. I suppose Paul and Peter count too. Oh wait, that's pretty much the entire NT...
      Oh, so the NT says that child abuse is acceptable and that the church are obliged to protect molestors against persecution ?
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Oh, so the NT says that child abuse is acceptable and that the church are obliged to protect molestors against persecution ?
        It does say that you should settle with your adversaries out of court. It also says that anyone who causes one of these children to stumble shall have a millstone placed around his neck.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

It does say that you should settle with your adversaries out of court. It also says that anyone who causes one of these children to stumble shall have a millstone placed around his neck.

May be so, but just because I think that I shouldn't obey normal rules, I won't get away with such, neither should a follower of the NT.

EDIT: just out of curiosity - how many of these priests that have been found guilty in child abuse do actually carry a millstone around their necks ?
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• May be so, but just because I think that I shouldn't obey normal rules, I won't get away with such, neither should a follower of the NT.
            Christ is very explicit here, urging believers to settle their disputes outside of the courts. Just because you think otherwise means diddly squat.

EDIT: just out of curiosity - how many of these priests that have been found guilty in child abuse do actually carry a millstone around their necks ?
            So you'd be in favour of restoring the death penalty for these priests? I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who would find this a fitting punishment. Heaven knows that the state courts would never impose such a punishment.

Comment

Christ is very explicit here, urging believers to settle their disputes outside of the courts. Just because you think otherwise means diddly squat.
              There you go.

Christ is in favour of Canada's Human Rights Commissions and Tribunals.

****ing owned, Ben, ****ing owned.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Christ is in favour of Canada's Human Rights Commissions and Tribunals.
                Are you on special ****** pills tonight?

The point being that involving the civil authorities in disputes between believers subjects the believers to the decisions of secular courts. This applies even more to the star chambers than they do to the actual courts.

Are you aware that they are taking the Whatcott case all the way to the Supremes, where they are going to get smacked down in favour of religious and speech freedoms?

Comment

I really don't care much about what christ says - it actually means diddly squat. Belivers of a religion never have any saying on what is right and wrong legally (yeah, as stated before, there are two execptions (iran and the vatican).

So you'd be in favour of restoring the death penalty for these priests? I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who would find this a fitting punishment. Heaven knows that the state courts would never impose such a punishment.
                  Wether im in favor or not isn't an issue. You claim that the church punishes properly with millstones etc, so please tell me when the church last used this punishment. There have been plenty of cases in the last 20-30 years where it would have been appropritate.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Are you on special ****** pills tonight?
                    Christ is very specific about having people settle disputes outside of court. This is why Canada has our extra-judicial HRC/HRT systems, to appease Jesus.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Wait a minute; you've been babbling on for 21 pages about Mother Church this and Mother Church that, and you've gone on and on for years on Poly about submitting to the laws of the Church and about Catholics who aren't "true" Catholics because they cherry-pick their beliefs...

And now you're a death penalty advocate?

You really are the worst Catholic ever.

This isn't about the Church at all, is it? It's just that priests have been diddling kids for years, including deaf boys, and you're still not getting any.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

• Ben, just cos you wished your priest had taken your virginity when you were a boy doesn't mean Paedophilia is OK...
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Wait a minute; you've been babbling on for 21 pages about Mother Church this and Mother Church that, and you've gone on and on for years on Poly about submitting to the laws of the Church and about Catholics who aren't "true" Catholics because they cherry-pick their beliefs...
                          Well is that not what Christ is saying in that passage?

And now you're a death penalty advocate?
                          No, I'm not a death penalty advocate. I don't believe the state should have the authority to execute people. They have and will continue to misuse their authority.

You really are the worst Catholic ever.
                          I don't see how. I'm the only Catholic here who's prolife and doesn't support contraception.

This isn't about the Church at all, is it? It's just that priests have been diddling kids for years, including deaf boys, and you're still not getting any.
                          I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

You show a remarkable ability to parse to the narrowest meaning that which the Church teaches, while failing to see the forests for the trees...

Comment

• Someone posts to tell Ben what an absolute **** he is and Ben takes it as a chance to debate.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              Christ is very specific about having people settle disputes outside of court. This is why Canada has our extra-judicial HRC/HRT systems, to appease Jesus.
                              Asher
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

It doesn't mean leniency for child molestors. Child molestors should be turned over to Satan.
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X