Latest on "don't ask, don't tell"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BK's ?
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun View Post
      You wouldn't believe the number of straight men I have raped over the years at work, where gays and lesbians are protected from discrimination.
      So what was your reward?
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Well, thy must have liked it - he's still alive
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• I figured he got a promotion. Now wait for him to start killing. He has been acting hot under the collar here lately...
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by Theben View Post
            So what was your reward?
            Isn't it obvious?

I got off.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• "Buttrape is its own reward?" That's a little too after-school-special for me.

BK, I can't even begin to follow the logic of that. Are you seriously implying that the Army (or Navy, AF or Marines) brass will take DADT as orders to look the other way about sexual assault? I mean, there are women in the military now, and while I recall hearing something about men getting away with harassment for far too long (I think it was the Air Force), that was some time ago and it caused a big scandal.

They're certainly not going to extend that kind of "boys will be boys" leniency to gays. In fact, I imagine that for about ten years after DADT is repealed gay servicemen will have a hell of an uphill battle: fail to dot an i or cross a t and it's discharge papers. If they start fondling their fellow soldiers, conservative elements within the hierarchy will not hesitate to kick their asses out after one rumor.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Do you even think about what you post anymore?
                Yes, quite so.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• BK, I can't even begin to follow the logic of that. Are you seriously implying that the Army (or Navy, AF or Marines) brass will take DADT as orders to look the other way about sexual assault?
                  I'm saying that when it does occur, they will feel that their hands are tied. There will be significant pressure levelled to cover it up, and the result will be that those who engage in it will be rewarded with promotions, etc, as was Hasan.

I mean, there are women in the military now, and while I recall hearing something about men getting away with harassment for far too long (I think it was the Air Force), that was some time ago and it caused a big scandal.
                  Yes, and this was because the political climate moved away from one tolerating such acts, to one that condemned them. Put it this way, men are a higher proportion of sexual assaults within the forces and yet, 10x as many women report being assaulted as the men. This is how politics can influence how an organisation either tolerates or prosecutes acts contrary to the regs.

They're certainly not going to extend that kind of "boys will be boys" leniency to gays.
                  They already do to a significant extent.

In fact, I imagine that for about ten years after DADT is repealed gay servicemen will have a hell of an uphill battle: fail to dot an i or cross a t and it's discharge papers. If they start fondling their fellow soldiers, conservative elements within the hierarchy will not hesitate to kick their asses out after one rumor.
                  One would think so, but I believe the effect will be the opposite. It's still not politically correct to treat all rape as the same whether it's by straight or gay men. I see the repeal of DADT as no different then saying that it should be open season on the women in the forces; you are removing one of the restraints in place.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    Yes, quite so.

Then you are even a bigger moron and bigot.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Ben, do you ever stop and wonder when EVERYONE is appalled by what you say...you may be wrong and just a LITTLE BIT downright EVIL?

I see the repeal of DADT as no different then saying that it should be open season on the women in the forces; you are removing one of the restraints in place.

Words cannot describe how stupid this is.

Back in the real world, the only case your logic seems to have been applied was the Roman Catholic Church. When the priests raped little boys, the Church decided to cover it up and pretend it didn't happen. The Church said it was "open season on little boys". Is that right?

You seem to be implying that the military would follow trademarked Christian logic. I think if someone rapes anyone in the military, they're pulled out because they become a danger to their comrades as well as themselves -- vigilante justice with a bunch of juiced-up military guys.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Actually, considering how these are the same folks who bashed my memorial thread, I feel zero qualms in the usual suspects trashing my thoughts here.

I'm interested in how saying that rape is wrong, whether it's committed by gay or straight men is construed as a bigotted statement. Saying that some men will rape other men after the repeal of DADT may be a controversial statement but it's not by any stretch of the word bigotted.

Saying that all homosexual men want to rape other men, yeah, I could see you saying I was a bigot, but then I haven't said it. You want to portray my statement as such, but that's just dishonesty on all of your parts.

So go ahead, fire away. I know I'm going to get flamed on this but that's what flamesuits are for.

Comment

• men are a higher proportion of sexual assaults within the forces and yet, 10x as many women report being assaulted as the men.
                          Do you have numbers to support this?
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            Actually, considering how these are the same folks who bashed my memorial thread, I feel zero qualms in the usual suspects trashing my thoughts here.

I'm interested in how saying that rape is wrong, whether it's committed by gay or straight men is construed as a bigotted statement.
                            Holy ****ing ****. No one ****ing said THAT was a bigoted statement, you dishonest ****ing ****.

Saying that some men will rape other men after the repeal of DADT may be a controversial statement but it's not by any stretch of the word bigotted.
                            That's not bigoted, but it's a bit stupid also. Some men will rape other men before the repeal of DADT. Many more men will rape many more women before, during, and after the repeal of DADT. Now that we've established the useless of the statement, time to move on.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• I saw an article on this the other day. Let me find it again.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                                Do you have numbers to support this?
                                No, because he's ****ing lying.

Men are higher in absolute count, because of the proportion of the gender:

In a 2006 survey of active-duty troops, 6.8 percent of women and 1.8 percent of men said they had experienced unwanted sexual contact in the previous 12 months. Since there are far more men than women in the services, that translates into roughly 22,000 men and 14,000 women.

Among women, the number of victims who report their assaults is small. Among men, it is infinitesimal. Last year the services received 2,530 reports of sexual assault involving female victims - and 220 involving male victims.

Comment

Working...
                                X