Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know the Phoenix Coyotes lost $117M in 2007? And $72M last year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know the Phoenix Coyotes lost $117M in 2007? And $72M last year?

Holy ****. This saga deserves to be in the main forum, not the sports forum.

What a cluster****. How do you manage that??

Judge rejects both bids for Coyotes

Bankruptcy court judge Redfield T. Baum has rejected both bids for the Phoenix Coyotes.

“In hockey parlance, the court is passing the puck to the NHL, who can decide to take another shot at the sale net or it can pass off the puck,” Judge Baum wrote.

Judge Baum threw out a bid by Jim Balsillie saying it could not succeed because he cannot properly satisfy the NHL’s rights regarding relocation.

“In the final analysis, the court cannot find or conclude that the interests of the NHL can be adequately protected if the Coyotes are moved to Hamilton without first having a final decision regarding the claimed rights of the NHL and the claims of the debtors and [Balsillie],” the judge ruled.

Baum

He added that bankruptcy law requires that the court “shall prohibit” any sale where various interests cannot be adequately protected.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly issued a statement saying the league is “pleased that the bankruptcy court has confirmed the league's rights to select its owners and the location of its franchises.”

“We are reviewing the opinion and considering how we can best address the court's concerns regarding our offer to purchase the Coyotes,” Daly said. “It remains our goal to secure the long-term stability of the Coyotes in Glendale.”

The ruling came on the eve of the start of the NHL season and after nearly five months of bitter legal wrangling with Balsillie and Coyotes majority owner Jerry Moyes on one side and the NHL and the City of Glendale, where the team plays, on the other.

Balsillie said he would not appeal.

“From the beginning, my attempt to relocate the Coyotes to Hamilton has been about Canadian hockey fans and Canadian hockey,” he said in a statement. “It was a chance to realize a dream. All I wanted was a fair chance to bring a seventh NHL team to Canada, to serve the best unserved hockey fans in the world. I believe I got that chance.”

Moyes took the team into Chapter 11 on May 5 with a plan to sell to Balsillie, contingent on moving the franchise to Hamilton.

Balsillie's bid, which rose to $242-million (all currency U.S.) when $50-million was added in an effort to persuade Glendale to drop its opposition, was denied with prejudice, meaning the proposal is dead.

The judge said the NHL’s bid is problematic because it allows the league to select which creditors will be paid in full. The NHL has selected to pay all the creditors except Moyes, who claims he is owed more than $100-million and Wayne Gretzky, who claims a debt of $9.3-million.

Judge Baum left the door open to the NHL to modify its bid to resolve the issues. He said the league “can probably cure the defects in its bid if it elects to make the required amendments”.
    The actual court document containing the finances of the team is included in the link.

Holy ****.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Why the **** does the NHL continue to think that a franchise in Arizona will work?

For Christ's sake, MOVE THEM.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The NHL seems to finally be getting the idea. But they want to move the Coyotes without paying Moyes $100M and Gretzky $9M.

The Coyotes are not going to stay in Phoenix, and they're not going to be going to Hamilton either.

I'm hoping the NHL shocks me and moves them to Winnipeg.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The league isn't paying Gretzky? Wow.

****ty deal all round. The only winner in this is Balsillie.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

How the **** do you figure?

His bid was rejected with prejudice (it's dead forever). He's given up. No way in hell the NHL will ever, ever approve him and the court precedent is now that the league has a right to decide who owns the team.

Balsillie will never own an NHL team. He's not the winner here. There are none.

Comment

Winnipeg would be great, but I'd be shocked. It seems Southern Ontario would make the most financial sense; if the Leafs can still make money despite being god-awful for decades, no way a new team cuts into their market share in any significant way.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

His bid was rejected with prejudice (it's dead forever).
              I've lived long enough to know that nothing lasts forever. Not even the reign of Bettman

No way in hell the NHL will ever, ever approve him and the court precedent is now that the league has a right to decide who owns the team.
              What are Bettman's options now? He can stiff the creditors he doesn't like, but who will want to pick up the turd that is the Coyotes and eat the turd sandwich. Balsillie still has all of his money, and hasn't sank anything into the money pit that is the Coyotes. Bettman would have done better to let Balsillie eat the turd sandwich, move to Hamilton, since billions of dollars into the team and they watch him give up.

Balsillie will never own an NHL team.
              Maybe, maybe not. But I don't believe this deal is good for the NHL in general.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                Why the **** does the NHL continue to think that a franchise in Arizona will work?

For Christ's sake, MOVE THEM.

For the same reason that one in Dallas has done quite well, and one in Nashville broke even last year once they got decent ownership.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Gretzky has a personal services contract with Moyes that Moyes is trying to fob off on one of his bankrupt companies.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                    Winnipeg would be great, but I'd be shocked. It seems Southern Ontario would make the most financial sense; if the Leafs can still make money despite being god-awful for decades, no way a new team cuts into their market share in any significant way.

A team in Hamilton would not be good for Buffalo.

The real money would be a second team in Toronto.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Gretzky has a personal services contract with Moyes that Moyes is trying to fob off on one of his bankrupt companies.
                      The league stiffing the great one is horrible optics.

Comment

The league isn't stiffing anyone.

They have bid $150MM for a hockey club in bankruptcy.

They are trying to ensure that cash gets to arms-length creditors.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Did you miss the article? Bettman isn't going to pay what is owed to Moyes or the Great One. They are creditors as well.

Comment

The league's position is that Moyes owes Gretzky his millions, and Wayne should righfully pursue his cash there.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Did you miss the article? Bettman isn't going to pay what is owed to Moyes or the Great One. They are creditors as well.

The league does not accept Moyes' creative accounting.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X