Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben - there are so many (deliberate) misreadings, strawmen, logical fallacies, leaps and just sheer nonsense in your response that I just don't have the time, energy or inclination to respond to it line by line.

I think it was clear that I was referring to you posting in most threads pertaining to gay issues. I'll edit my post to make that clear and then please read what I actually posted again and try and understand it.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

• The other thing to think is that if we aren't Catholics; and even the Catholics aren't as hard line as you; we don't believe in most of the things you are talking about.

"Everyone is hurt by sin" is absolutely meaningless. People should be free to go about their lives without someone persistently telling them that they are fundamentally wrong because of their sexuality, They are doing absolutely no harm to anyone by being themselves. You are deliberately setting out to persecute and harm them. That is absolutely meaningful and a clear distinction.

I absolutely believe that the rights of people to not be persecuted or discriminated against trumps any religious belief. Just as I wouldn't think it was acceptable for someone to stone a woman to death for religious reasons. If your beliefs contradict the law, the law wins. In Europe we have strong anti-discrimination laws, and it is the spirit of these that is written into the website rules.

Also on the subject of people abusing you - I've stepped in a few times recently when things crossed a line, I've given Sava a strong final warning. I look at all the things you report. I don't see every thread. It is not safe to assume I've seen something, even if I'm posting in a thread. I have a buy work and home life and don't intend to spend any more of my time here than I already do.

If someone followed you around posting anti-deaf abuse in every thread that mentioned hearing I'd have the same conversation with them. There are more gay posters here than deaf posters, which I guess is why deaf issues posts don't come up very often.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

• The other thing to think is that if we aren't Catholics; and even the Catholics aren't as hard line as you; we don't believe in most of the things you are talking about.
        I tend not to base my arguments around, "Jesus said x, you must obey." I understand this, it still doesn't change what I posted about sin in general which is a different topic. You yourself have argued that many things are wrong (lying, etc), so I really don't see why you have a problem with that preposition that everyone sins and is hurt by the sins of others.

People should be free to go about their lives without someone persistently telling them that they are fundamentally wrong because of their sexuality
        That's not what I'm saying. You believe that 'sexuality is a core part of who you are'. I do not. You are interpreting my arguments based on your assumptions. This goes both ways. I do not believe that people are defined by what they do - which is a core teaching of Christianity that people can overcome sin.

They are doing absolutely no harm to anyone by being themselves.
        Yet, you believe that I am harming them simply by being myself and speaking my mind. If I were to take your line on things - I could just as easily argue harm is being done to me.

You are deliberately setting out to persecute and harm them.
        Well, then. Do you reject the Christian principle, "love the sinner hate the sin?"

That is absolutely meaningful and a clear distinction.
        I absolutely believe that the rights of people to not be persecuted or discriminated against trumps any religious belief.
        Which is why you're supporting discrimination of religion.

Just as I wouldn't think it was acceptable for someone to stone a woman to death for religious reasons. If your beliefs contradict the law, the law wins. In Europe we have strong anti-discrimination laws, and it is the spirit of these that is written into the website rules.
        There was an article a short while back citing a Christian newscaster who was banned from wearing a cross because 'it might offend people'.

Is this really what Poly is going to do? Ban everyone who displays a cross? Sure, europe has many laws that attack Christianity. I agree with this. Where I disagree is that the laws are correct. They are not. Nor are they 'non discrimination', when they objectively discriminate against Christian teachings.

Also on the subject of people abusing you - I've stepped in a few times recently when things crossed a line, I've given Sava a strong final warning. I look at all the things you report. I don't see every thread. It is not safe to assume I've seen something, even if I'm posting in a thread. I have a buy work and home life and don't intend to spend any more of my time here than I already do.
        I'm a big boy, Mike. I am not insisting that you spend all your time doing this, and my post was not intended as a criticism of your moderation. I think you are doing a good job.

I just want to have a clear idea as to precisely what I can or cannot post. I'm not a mindreader, Mike.

Again, we've had this discussion previously, and it was determined then that posting Christian teachings regarding gay marriage does not run afoul of the rules here. If that has changed, then it needs to be done openly so that everyone is aware of the change.

Has the previous rule now changed, Mike?

If someone followed you around posting anti-deaf abuse in every thread that mentioned hearing I'd have the same conversation with them.
        Well, I think 'deaf child rapist' kinda qualified...

There are more gay posters here than deaf posters, which I guess is why deaf issues posts don't come up very often.
        I would wager there's been more deaf slurs directed at me than anti-gay slurs. It makes sense that you'd get more complaints by people angry at me - because there are more people involved.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• lol Ben is too stubborn to listen to moderators. You might as well ban him now.

Comment

• Ben is too stubborn to listen to moderators. You might as well ban him now.
            That's one ugly cheerleader.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• MikeH is doing a good job. You said so yourself.

Comment

• MikeH is doing a good job. You said so yourself.
                I did. He even asked if I wanted the thread(s) bashing me closed, as I'd not filed a complaint. I think he's done a good job. I've been a moderator before. It's not an easy job.

Comment

• plz plz plz make Ben moderator of the Sports Forum or somehing. Hilarity will ensue.

Comment

• Please ban Ben.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Ban you. You illustrate Ben's point to perfection. You do the same to me, but I've had worse than you on my eyeball, so I don't care.
                      Sava needs to go, too. I can't believe Ben got banned, DFG got banned, but this insulting little snot nosed psychopath stays.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• It's too late to ban Ben. That time came and went years go.

The decorum of the site has sunk so low that anyone who gives a damn has already left.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• After Sloww's post, I have to agree with you.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            Are you saying that I cannot post that Christianity teaches that sodomy is a sin?
                            Why don't you spend as much time posting 'You cannot serve God and riches' ? That seems to be a fairly important theme in the New Testament.

(Mammon, mammonas from mamona- a Syriac word - more than likely kept that way so as not to offend the notoriously spendthrift king)

Prepare ye the way of the Lord- apparently by divesting yourself of possessions :

10 And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then?

11 He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.
                            Luke 3:10-11
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                              Being homosexual:

1. is not a choice.
                              2. is totally normal.
                              3. is not morally wrong.

Stop persistently denying those 3 things and we'll have no problems.
                              1. has not been conclusively proven.
                              2. completely depends on what your definition of "normal" is.
                              3. is an unsubstantiated moral judgment.

Weak sauce, Mike.
                              I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Comment

• Why don't you spend as much time posting 'You cannot serve God and riches' ? That seems to be a fairly important theme in the New Testament.
                                As Christ himself says, Jesus answered them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

A doctor doesn't dispense unneeded medication. Does any poster here believe that wealth is more important than God?

"He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise."
                                You imply falsely that I have two coats at present.

Comment

Working...
                                X