Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[serious] Off Topic Moderation Input - Part 2

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hauldren Collider
    replied
    Originally posted by Elok View Post
    Okay, who actually responds to BK besides Ken and Molly? I can't think of anybody else who does it. Then again, there's like a hundred people on here.

    EDIT: I should add that the number of people ignoring BK really has gone up in the past few years. It's just a few diehards in need of correction now.
    I sometimes have some pretty bad ignore discipline. I have molly on ignore but enough of his posts are hilariously stupid enough (as opposed to merely annoyingly stupid) to merit some trolling.

    Leave a comment:


  • DaShi
    replied
    Originally posted by loinburger View Post
    I've admittedly been guilty of egging on Kidicious in the hopes that he'll post something bannable
    The banter between you two is one of the reasons I keep checking this forum.

    Leave a comment:


  • kentonio
    replied
    Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
    He's banned for now. If he's half-the troll you think he is, feeding him like this is wasteful. Wait a few months before making endless I-hate-BK posts. Whinging about him now only shows how much you miss him.
    No, it really doesn't, but you have half a decent point in there, there's no point discussing it now.

    Leave a comment:


  • DinoDoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Ming View Post
    I only laugh when I hear the term "permaban" There is no such thing. The only members of this site that were permabanned continued to post under multiple DL's.
    It's just too easy to create DL's faster than they can be tracked down and banned. It only causes more disruption to the site. Why should we have to play whack a mole.
    Whatever happened with Stewart Spink?

    Leave a comment:


  • DinoDoc
    replied
    He's banned for now. If he's half-the troll you think he is, feeding him like this is wasteful. Wait a few months before making endless I-hate-BK posts. Whinging about him now only shows how much you miss him.

    Leave a comment:


  • kentonio
    replied
    Originally posted by Elok View Post
    Okay, who actually responds to BK besides Ken and Molly? I can't think of anybody else who does it. Then again, there's like a hundred people on here.
    Plenty of people, Berzerker, Rah, our Norwegian friend, Slowwy, etc etc.

    Originally posted by Elok View Post
    Also, I take this up with you, Ken, and not him, because in my experience, you are receptive to logic. He is Logic-Resistant Arse Inglorious. It's no good hoping to convince him to mend his ways. But if you ignore him, it'll be basically just Molly still paying attention to him.
    I've never understood this logic, this isn't a private forum. To use the bar analogy, it's like having a guy who walks around causing trouble and stirring up a toxic environment whenever he can. He lies about the regulars, spouts racist and homophobic filth and does everything in his power to try and **** all over anything positive that happens. The response? Everyone else in the bar should stick their fingers in their ears any time he comes in and go 'LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!' and hope he gets bored and goes away. Despite him having several actual friends here which means he's never going to go away.

    I do sympathize with Mings point btw, but for me it's a principle thing. If he's openly allowed to post here then this place is associated with the things he posts. Elok, you say 'we'll deal with new posters when they arrive', but no you won't. You won't get the opportunity to, because they'll see what he's posting and think this is a place they don't want to be.

    Leave a comment:


  • rah
    replied
    I sometimes just can't help myself.
    Under the excuse of "All It Takes for Evil to Triumph Is for a Good Man to Do Nothing." I just break down and call him out on his BS and hatred.
    I don't necessarily consider myself that Good of a Man, but I need to feel that I'm not as bad as BK.

    Using religion to justify hatred has been responsible for the persecution of billions throughout history.
    And BK has it down to a science. He's as bad as the Islamic Fundies that he claims to hate.

    Leave a comment:


  • loinburger
    replied
    I've admittedly been guilty of egging on Kidicious in the hopes that he'll post something bannable

    Leave a comment:


  • Elok
    replied
    Okay, who actually responds to BK besides Ken and Molly? I can't think of anybody else who does it. Then again, there's like a hundred people on here.

    EDIT: I should add that the number of people ignoring BK really has gone up in the past few years. It's just a few diehards in need of correction now.
    Last edited by Elok; December 31, 2014, 13:22.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lorizael
    replied
    What I'd really like is a smart ignore feature that hides from my forum experience any mention of BK's existence. That way, I wouldn't even see posts that mentioned BK, let alone quoted him. I don't even want to know that there are ignored posts I'm missing; I want a seamless forum that exists in an alternate, BK-free universe a la The City and the City or The Quantum Thief.

    Leave a comment:


  • loinburger
    replied
    There's a vbulletin hack that let's you hellban a user - they can continue to post, but they're added to everybody's ignore list

    Leave a comment:


  • Hauldren Collider
    replied
    Boris is right. If people put Ben on ignore, instead of fruitlessly trying to debate with the little ****head, there'd be no issue, but that seems equivalent to a ban, doesn't it?

    Leave a comment:


  • Boris Godunov
    replied
    Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
    Ignoring him hasn't failed. Hey look! No Ben comments!

    True, people do keep trying to argue with him. Give it a few more years and the sheer futility of it might dawn on them.
    As I said in my post, the ignore feature fails to solve the fundamental problem of Ben destroying every thread he touches because not everyone does it and those who don't are sucked into the poopnado. Once a thread is chock full of gray blocks and people responding to those gray blocks, it's pretty much done no matter what. The same folks have been responding to Ben for 5+ years, so any hope of them having the epiphany you suggest is pretty small.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bugs ****ing Bunny
    replied
    Originally posted by kentonio View Post
    Thats right, as normal none of this is on him. Good thing any potential new members will in no way be put off by his vile comments.

    Anyway I've had my 2 cents worth, I'll leave you to cheerleading for the same ineffectual strategy that has completely failed to work for the last x number of years.

    Ignoring him hasn't failed. Hey look! No Ben comments!

    True, people do keep trying to argue with him. Give it a few more years and the sheer futility of it might dawn on them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Elok
    replied
    Also, I take this up with you, Ken, and not him, because in my experience, you are receptive to logic. He is Logic-Resistant Arse Inglorious. It's no good hoping to convince him to mend his ways. But if you ignore him, it'll be basically just Molly still paying attention to him. That, and I think Sloww doesn't ignore him, but Sloww also doesn't argue with him, and that's what he craves. Molly just doesn't post often enough to keep BK happy, I think.

    Now, he might respond by starting a DL. Not that effectively, since he has a . . . very distinctive posting style. If he successfully hides it, we have effectively forced him to reform, good on us. If not, we can quietly ignore that one too. Eventually he'll face diminishing returns and wander off to poop on someone else's forum.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X