Do NOT go to medical school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigh...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
      they are expensive because they are taught buy lawyers.
      Bingo. If you want teachers who are worth a damn, they will need many years of litigating experience. And if they have years of litigating experience, they will expect a salary roughly similar to what they would be making as practicing lawyers. It's pretty simple really. Prestige of the particular institution is of course a factor, but even that is mostly a product of the faculty.

Compare that to, say, filosofy, English, history, etc. PhD's, who need whatever work they can get and/or relish the opportunity to do research and will take a pay cut for one or both reasons.
      Last edited by Darius871; July 18, 2009, 18:46.
      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        Ok, if you are working for yourself, and you aren't making enough money, why aren't you charging more so that you can make up the cost of your education and get yourself out of debt?

Why don't you switch to another speciality where you can make more money just to get over the hump, and then go into pediatrics when you have more financial security?

If they don't make enough where you live why not move elsewhere?

You've boxed yourself in a corner.

1. You are working at a speciality that doesn't pay much.
        2. You are working in an economically depressed area.
        3. You have a huge debt load.

You have a couple of choices. You can accept the decisions that you've made as to your job, your speciality, and the area you live in and chip away at the debt over time.

Or you can do something to change your life so that you are happy. What you are doing right now obviously isn't working out for you, for your wife or your patients.

Then why did you get into it knowing that you'd rack up a large debt when you got out of it? Did that come as a surprise to you?

I couldn't afford to do med school, or what not, so I had that choice made for me. I had to do what I could afford, which was a 4 year degree. Did that suck having to back out? Yes. Am I happy now that I finished and paid off all my bills? Yes.

You made the choice to go deep into debt to pursue your chosen career when you had other options.
        C) And none of this is the reason for my disillusionment that began the thread. No, it is the fact that we don't license people to breed is, on occasion, astounding to me.

Comment

Again you show your true colors... you are a pathetic excuse for a human being Ben.
          I know several doctors up here that make less then Guy does, live in an even poorer region, and they somehow managed to pay off their student loans.

One of my best friends. He's got a wife, and two kiddos. He's had to make some huge sacrifices.

1. He drives a 1979 POS, which he modified for biodiesel.

2. They don't buy anything at all, she makes the clothes for the kiddos, does the cooking, they live in a tiny apt in a bad neighbourhood.

I don't know how they managed, but he's finished off his loans and has left to go elsewhere, but they've been chipping away at it for years.

I've never heard either of em complain. He had a goal, stuck to it and now he's free of it and can do what he wants.

Guy, I think you are a helluva a guy for going into medicine. But please, don't complain bout the student loans.
          Last edited by Ben Kenobi; July 18, 2009, 18:51.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

*cough*

C) And none of this is the reason for my disillusionment that began the thread. No, it is the fact that we don't license people to breed is, on occasion, astounding to me.

Comment

Speaking of this license to breed ****, why don't you tell us more, Ben...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by flash9286 View Post
                I know a lot of people don't like the big law culture, but if you want to make the money that is were you go, or so I have been told.
                I know that's what you've been told, and it's true that it's where the big money is, at least coming out of school. And I promise I'm not just being a dick about big law. Fact is, though, even with $100,000+ in loan debt, you can make a comfortable living and stay current on your debt making a good deal less than the big law top dollar. Big law is also not necessarily where the money is a few years down the road. There is plenty of money to be made in smaller firms (especially in this economy, where a lot of clients appear to be moving to smaller, cheaper firms); it's just not paid out as first year salary.

There's definitely a difference in culture, which alters the equation differently for everybody. My point isn't the classic "big law drains your soul and leaves you an empty husk, which isn't worth any amount of money." I'm just warning against falling into the trap of thinking only the big law salary can make your debt worthwhile, or even allow you to keep your head above water. Plus, Sallie Mae can be a very accommodating lady come repayment time, if necessary.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                  I could never pass a bar.

THats why the more accurate phrase is "being admitted to the bar"
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
                    I know that's what you've been told, and it's true that it's where the big money is, at least coming out of school. And I promise I'm not just being a dick about big law. Fact is, though, even with $100,000+ in loan debt, you can make a comfortable living and stay current on your debt making a good deal less than the big law top dollar. Big law is also not necessarily where the money is a few years down the road. There is plenty of money to be made in smaller firms (especially in this economy, where a lot of clients appear to be moving to smaller, cheaper firms); it's just not paid out as first year salary.

There's definitely a difference in culture, which alters the equation differently for everybody. My point isn't the classic "big law drains your soul and leaves you an empty husk, which isn't worth any amount of money." I'm just warning against falling into the trap of thinking only the big law salary can make your debt worthwhile, or even allow you to keep your head above water.

This is all pretty accurate with respect to Canadian firms as well. The smaller firms don't compete with BIGLAW on entry level salaries but you cna still do just fine there.

Personally I jumped to in-house-- I'll never make the money that is possible in the firms but I work fewer hours and avoid all that ' billable hour stress. I make a living that suits me ok and if our freaking share price would come back, the stock options could do well for me
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post

Hmmm-- so what was it ??

Did . . .

1. Pregnant lady think downing a 4o oz. bottle of rum was a good way to celebrate that her due date was a month away

2. Daddy shoot junior with his .22 to show him how a gun worked?

3. Daady think it was funny to teach Junior to light Daddy's ciggy and blow smoke rings??

Comment

Working...
                      X