Do NOT go to medical school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flash9286 View Post
    Yep, but I knew I was ****ed within the first week.

It is if you are going to be around 120,000 in debt.
    No.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      I don't have much sympathy for people over 100k in student loans.

I had to wait to finish my school because I couldn't afford to pay the money to continue. The result, it took longer, but I don't owe a penny to anybody.

Let me guess Guy, you have a wife a nice house, vehicles, a steady job that pays very well compared to most people.

Would you rather be working for yourself and not have the job security, Guynemer?
      Wow.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Why would you quote him? My brain is melting at the sight of that post. Did Ben just equate the debt of somebody who has completed medical school with somebody who did undergrad and nothing else?
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Not to mention the opportunity cost of waiting to finish school...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            I don't have much sympathy for people over 100k in student loans.

I had to wait to finish my school because I couldn't afford to pay the money to continue. The result, it took longer, but I don't owe a penny to anybody.

Let me guess Guy, you have a wife a nice house, vehicles, a steady job that pays very well compared to most people.

Would you rather be working for yourself and not have the job security, Guynemer?
            Again you show your true colors... you are a pathetic excuse for a human being Ben.
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by flash9286 View Post

It is if you are going to be around 120,000 in debt.
              Why is law school so expensive? It's easy to see why medical school is expensive, the laboratory courses like anatomy, physiology and biochemistry require a lot of expensive equipment, but there's almost no equipment required toi teach law.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

A) I am working for myself. Private practice, friend. With another, larger, competiting private practice moving into a brand new facility literally next door to me. So I'm not feeling terribly secure in my job in the moment.

B) If I had waited until I had earned enough money by working whatever jobs I could scrounge up with my bachelor's until starting medical school, I wouldn't have finished residency until retirement age. If then. This is the way the medical education system is set up, and it's a ****ing joke.

C) And none of this is the reason for my disillusionment that began the thread. No, it is the fact that we don't license people to breed is, on occasion, astounding to me.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

License to breed? I almost agree with you.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Tex
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                      Why is law school so expensive? It's easy to see why medical school is expensive, the laboratory courses like anatomy, physiology and biochemistry require a lot of expensive equipment, but there's almost no equipment required toi teach law.
                      Demand+nondischargeable student loan debt=$$$

Comment

No
                        I know a lot of people don't like the big law culture, but if you want to make the money that is were you go, or so I have been told.

Are you a summer associate with a firm right now?
                        No, I'm a research assistant for a professor. Almost none of the 1ls in my class got summer associate jobs. Even the public interest groups had to start turning students away because they didn't have enough attorneys to supervise all the students applying for summer internships.

I don't know. State law schools are pretty cheap, and if I could start over I would probably got to my state school. All the top private law schools are around 40,000 in tuition.
                        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

they are expensive because they are taught buy lawyers.

Comment

Neither medical school nor law school are particularly expensive compared to undergrad tuition at private universities. Equipment costs are only a minor part of the overall price tag.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                              Why is law school so expensive?
                              Apparently, because the market will bear it.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

A) I am working for myself. Private practice, friend. With another, larger, competiting private practice moving into a brand new facility literally next door to me. So I'm not feeling terribly secure in my job in the moment.
                                Ok, if you are working for yourself, and you aren't making enough money, why aren't you charging more so that you can make up the cost of your education and get yourself out of debt?

Why don't you switch to another speciality where you can make more money just to get over the hump, and then go into pediatrics when you have more financial security?

If they don't make enough where you live why not move elsewhere?

You've boxed yourself in a corner.

1. You are working at a speciality that doesn't pay much.
                                2. You are working in an economically depressed area.
                                3. You have a huge debt load.

You have a couple of choices. You can accept the decisions that you've made as to your job, your speciality, and the area you live in and chip away at the debt over time.

Or you can do something to change your life so that you are happy. What you are doing right now obviously isn't working out for you, for your wife or your patients.

B) If I had waited until I had earned enough money by working whatever jobs I could scrounge up with my bachelor's until starting medical school, I wouldn't have finished residency until retirement age. If then. This is the way the medical education system is set up, and it's a ****ing joke.
                                Then why did you get into it knowing that you'd rack up a large debt when you got out of it? Did that come as a surprise to you?

I couldn't afford to do med school, or what not, so I had that choice made for me. I had to do what I could afford, which was a 4 year degree. Did that suck having to back out? Yes. Am I happy now that I finished and paid off all my bills? Yes.

You made the choice to go deep into debt to pursue your chosen career when you had other options.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X