No announcement yet.

Do NOT go to medical school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is if you are going to be around 120,000 in debt.

Oh, how I dream of the happy day when I'm only that far in the whole.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

hole
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's where you make the big bucks (actually lawyer is a better racket). If I had the money I'd have joined medical school. Oh and if I could also stand the thought of cutting into human flesh.

Comment

I had the exact opposite problem.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by flash9286 View Post
            It is if you are going to be around 120,000 in debt.
            Not exactly what you find in the glossy brochures, eh? Enjoy that millstone for the next 30 years. At that debt level, which I know quite a few people here in Houston at that range (thanks to South Texas, a 4th tier law school-WTF) barring finding a loaded spouse or an inheritance windfall, the "options" that a jd provides, are illusory and you are essentially tied to whatever toilet job you can get in this economy. I thank god that I was "lucky" and went to a state school and just took the fed loans and a bar study, and my rate is around 3%, which (along with my wife's career) has provided me the ability to have a degree of freedom in choosing where to work or where not to work.

Oh, how I dream of the happy day when I'm only that far in the whole.

Student loans=the next bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              hole
              Indeed.

Perhaps the wifey should not be entrusting me with proofreading her next novel. Oh well.

Comment

if you make $100,000 a year it should take you 2 years to pay that off.

Comment

When Salamander Stales the Movie is made, you'll have millions!
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
                    if you make $100,000 a year it should take you 2 years to pay that off.
                    Hi. Have you heard of these things called "taxes"?
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel View Post
                      Not exactly what you find in the glossy brochures, eh? Enjoy that millstone for the next 30 years. At that debt level, which I know quite a few people here in Houston at that range (thanks to South Texas, a 4th tier law school-WTF) barring finding a loaded spouse or an inheritance windfall, the "options" that a jd provides, are illusory and you are essentially tied to whatever toilet job you can get in this economy. I thank god that I was "lucky" and went to a state school and just took the fed loans and a bar study, and my rate is around 3%, which (along with my wife's career) has provided me the ability to have a degree of freedom in choosing where to work or where not to work.
                      Considering the ridiculous starting salaries graduates from t14 schools were getting before the law market collapsed last year, going 120,000 in debt didn't seem so bad. Now I can just hope that the market recovers before 2011, but even if it does I still have to compete with all the associates that are being deferred.
                      Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        I suppose next you will suggest he needs to eat and pay other bills as well. Such rubbish.

Comment

yes, it's best just to mooch off your friends, and sleep on their couch. Even whilst making $100k a year. That's the way to real wealth.

Comment

Originally posted by flash9286 View Post
                            Considering the ridiculous starting salaries graduates from t14 schools were getting before the law market collapsed last year, going 120,000 in debt didn't seem so bad. Now I can just hope that the market recovers before 2011, but even if it does I still have to compete with all the associates that are being deferred.
                            True, if >50% of the previous classes started at 160k, 120k in debt is no big deal, pay that off in 3-4 years fairly easily, a decent enough gamble assuming you are interested in the biglaw culture. This next year should be fascinating, with, as you said, all the deferments, it's going to be pretty ugly out there for new and recent graduates.

Are you a summer associate with a firm right now?

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                              To say nothing of entities known as "mortgages", "food", "car insurance", "medical malpractice insurance", "utilities", "automotive repairs", "gasoline", etc.

Or the fact that the day I make six figures as a primary care pediatrician in a low-income area is the day pigs fly.

Comment

I don't have much sympathy for people over 100k in student loans.

I had to wait to finish my school because I couldn't afford to pay the money to continue. The result, it took longer, but I don't owe a penny to anybody.

Let me guess Guy, you have a wife a nice house, vehicles, a steady job that pays very well compared to most people.

Would you rather be working for yourself and not have the job security, Guynemer?
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X