Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You Christian? Do You Support Torture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Christian? Do You Support Torture?

April 30th, 2009
    Churchgoers more likely to back torture, survey finds
    Posted: 01:55 PM ET

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists, according to a new analysis.

More than half of people who attend services at least once a week — 54 percent — said the use of torture against suspected terrorists is “often” or “sometimes” justified. Only 42 percent of people who “seldom or never” go to services agreed, according the analysis released Wednesday by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life.

White evangelical Protestants were the religious group most likely to say torture is often or sometimes justified — more than 6 in 10 supported it. People unaffiliated with any religious organization were least likely to back it. Only 4 in 10 of them did.

The analysis is based on a Pew Research Center survey of 742 American adults conducted April 14-21. It did not include analysis of groups other than white evangelicals, white non-Hispanic Catholics, white mainline Protestants, and the religiously unaffiliated, because the sample size was too small.
    Doesn't actually surprise me given the support for torture by most Christians on Poly.
    I'm a Christian and I support torture
    8.70%
    I'm a Christian and I don't support torture
    36.96%
    I'm a heathen unbelieving banana eater
    54.35%
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Are You Christian? Do You Support Torture?

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
      http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04...-survey-finds/

Doesn't actually surprise me given the support for torture by most Christians on Poly.
      Lets see how it turns out.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

You need to define torture, otherwise they will rationalize that they aren't supporting torture when in fact they do.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'm a heathen so my vote doesn't matter in this poll.

I am generally against the idea of prosecuting for past acts (the political cost is very high) but the more I hear of American's defending this **** the more I am starting to think a few trials are needed.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Is interrogation torture?

What about techniques like sleep deprivation?

I'm ok with it so long as it won't lead to permanent harm.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

There's no definition of what constitutes torture.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

/this is weird Unbuntu is acting up/
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

You mean, other than the International Red Cross, or the U.N. Convention on Torture?
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The article doesn't specify.

Comment

Oh. My mistake. I thought you meant in general. Mea culpa.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

not surprising

Comment

In other words, Ben, you support torture.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            That only means that the percentage of Christians who support torture is even higher than in the poll, since Christians like you weasel out by saying that if it doesn't cause permanent harm, it isn't torture.

Comment

I support atomic wedgies yes, but that still doesn't mean I'm answering yes, unless a definition is specified.

Comment

Working...
                              X