Originally posted by Asher View Post
      abrasive posters in the OTF
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm sorry,I'm a bit giddy.
        Went to the dentest today and now I'm tipsey on pain meds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
          We had fun doing that one... I hope people liked it
          You should do another one.

Call me up for a bit. I'll even do the censorship beeping after.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ive said it dozens of times ill say it again we need to bring back a section for a ladder tournament/arena for Civ 2, 4, or whatever. Diplogames are long and boring.

Im talking about 1 on 1 dual maps, leaderboards, heated competition. An unprecedented PvP Civ section 24/7 like MSN Gaming Zone had in late 90's/early 2000. Simpler format perhaps, but that sort of idea.

Im telling you straight to your face, Dan, it will work.
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

How bout expanding more games to be included?

Shoot, does that make sence?

Comment

civ5
                :-p

Comment

Ok, bring up points we know:

OT is the most active by statement from a few here, how do we expound upon this area without Spamfests because those really dont contribute to content?

I may be wrong in phrasing it, but why not pick a topic and do some serious discussions, no name calling just try to be a bit more respectful of those around. I say lead by example, try to rise above temptation to attack posters points, more debate or counter.

Lets get some more interests going in OG, I remember maybe Mafia and Gladiator???

Are there anymore possibles?

Wasnt there hangman a couple years ago?

I used to play RON and RONTAP, anyone else out here do that?

me and AC have been talking about hooking up for a game, but one thing or another comes up.

Im sorry the History Forum didnt make it, but I love learning History here, also verifying authenticity of claims, it was said it took away from the OT when it left, well, support that theory, lets start some History threads, maybe about manufacturing history, roots of expansion in early 19th century and other topics such as why we are headed toward a major economic downfall in the world?

We have some economists here, danS to name one who comes to mind

the Supernova is a very interesting but over my hread subject, kudos to the topic though

Any other ideas?

Lets hear from you folks!

Gramps
                  Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

This is a tough question, but Im so glad Grandpa Troll asked it. I love CivFanatics, but I would love to see 2 healthy civ environments than any individual one.

So lets see, first lets list the challenges (as I see them).

1. The name is obscure/non-intuitive.

2. The community is abrasive. Thats not to say that there aren't wonderful people here. I think of DanQ, Impaler, Locutus and GarretSidzaka as personal friends and I would do anything for them. But many of the threads are off-putting to new posters looking for a friendly environment to talk about games they love.

3. Design isn't very sleek. There are a lot of buttons and things to click on, almost to much. I dont think the color scheme really matters, but new posters may be confused by the layout.

Now the strengths.

1. A proud history. Apolyton is not a fly by night fan website put out during the announcement of a new release and shutting down shortly afterwards. It has been a part of the reason for Firaxis's success and an important part of the Civ franchise.

2. Podcasts. I really love the podcasts. They are a great way to draw people into the community and make people aware of the site.

3. Kael never posts here. That guy is such a drag.

In my humble opinion (not that it is more or less likely to be better than anyone elses) I would setup a 2nd domain name that is more intuitive and start advertising that (as well as keeping the Apolyton name). I would also be more aggressive about banning for personal attacks, to make it more inviting for casual visitors.

Thats my 2 cents. Hopefully there is something in there that is helpful.
                    Last edited by Murg; April 13, 2009, 23:23.

Comment

You are looking at it the wrong way, Gramps.

The OTF, the community here, thats all good but its not the answer.

People go where the money is. Money is a form of power. Winning competitions is power.

therefore Fast and Furious Civ Competitions = money.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Bring the history back!
                        You run it Grandpa!
                        :desire:

Comment

You want to revive Other Games?

Remove the Post Count for the Off-topic forum.

The issues for the rest of the site, I'm not sure there's much that can be done. How much civ related stuff is there here to keep people interested?
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
                            Ive said it dozens of times ill say it again we need to bring back a section for a ladder tournament/arena for Civ 2, 4, or whatever. Diplogames are long and boring.

Im talking about 1 on 1 dual maps, leaderboards, heated competition. An unprecedented PvP Civ section 24/7 like MSN Gaming Zone had in late 90's/early 2000. Simpler format perhaps, but that sort of idea.

Im telling you straight to your face, Dan, it will work.

AAHZ, is thera reason it cannot be started?

Heck, Im not that good but would enjoy a game of CIV2....

Why not head something up, send a PM to one of Staff/Admin and see how they feel, not sure if it has ever been tried but seek some approval or input, I think i remember Ming/rah/jrabbit at one point were, I trhink, playing a weekend game????? (hmm..some years back)

But why not just try

I remember CTP being almost dead, I was hurt that we had such a community at one point, i didnt ask, just started promoting and keep active, next thing many others joined in, not what i personally did but collectively what we did
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Ben, the fact that you want people who care about post count posting is enough reason for me to doubt your sanity.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

2. The community is abrasive. Thats not to say that there aren't wonderful people here. I think of DanQ and GarretSidzaka as personal friends and I would do anything for them. But many of the threads are off-putting to new posters looking for a friendly environment to talk about games they love.
                                In the Off or On topic?
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X