Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zkribbler's Retirement House - Watch it being built!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zkrib, all the wood from my place is in the structure and I need some for a small project at my place this Saturday...a planned day off at the site. So I'd like to grab maybe a dozen from the stack of green stuff Sho ordered, your stuff. That Ok?
    No problem. Batten down the hatches! There's iffy weather coming!!

It isn't even 8 AM and the guys are started. Nobody told them to do this...
    I love these guys! This is what I've been trying to tell the numbskulls that manage my court: Treat working folks well and they'll work their hearts out for you.

I imagine the main support beams are steel rebar covered with concrete so as long as they used the correct quality of concrete then it should be reasonably secure.
    Yes, Oerdin they are. Indeed, we're putting up double rings of rebar. The support beams are gonna be tuff! Remember, youse guys aren't seeing the real construction. These are merely forms going up into which my team will pour concrete. Then the forms go away.
    Last edited by Zkribbler; March 17, 2009, 13:24.

Comment

In Turkey or China or even worse, Greece, they plan on metal bar but they rip it off or in the case of China the party officials realocate it for personal use. Then the earthquake comes and everybody wonders why there is no metal bar in the cement?

Not Zkrib's house, its double metal bar, thick posts, thicker than the head of your average Poly troll.

Zkrib, thx on the wood.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Seems to be slightly faster now.

One side of the post pour form. This is the width of a post on a two story home. There are 10 such posts, all connected by tie beams on each level plus underground. Each post has twice the metal bar as a normal post. I've built in the US out of wood and this is much stronger.

Comment

Right now the project is on crews control. The guys know more about masonry than I ever will. Its nice cuz I don't have to go as often and am getting into Colonization, an excellent game.

Comment

Artsy fartsy

These are scenes taken with the long exposure setting on the camera. Supposed to be on a tripod but I find it works if I just set it on something. This was a little different angle and it came out much darker, different mood.

Comment

Zkrib, when your roof garden is up you might be able to reach out your hand and pick a coconut right off the tree.

Comment

Zkrib, Dolores says Hi!

Which pic you like better?

She's lost weight and is looking super!

Comment

I like the first one better. Dolores is looking relaxed yet cocky. ...And yes, she has slimmed down and is looking even more great than usual!

How wide is your balcony, street-to-wall? I was thinking about reducing my bedroom balconies from 1.5 meters to 1 meter, but now I think 1 meter is just not wide enough.

BTW: People at work are stopping me in the halls and asking me why I seem so happy.
                  Last edited by Zkribbler; March 18, 2009, 14:52.

Comment

That's great Zkrib! Oh wait, have you checked the statutes? You might be breaking some law...

Sho informed Dolores that he needs me for the pour no later than 8AM! Yikes! Does he remember me carrying sacks and tapping with the metal bar and harrassing Lushington?

My colony in the New World will have to wait. There's work afoot!

Pics coming...

Comment

There were a couple of questions on Sho's mind one of which I'll direct to Zkrib later on.

This is the poured post, like a lego. A normal post for a house like this is only the center part that sticks up.

Every time you pour and let dry then pour again the joining of the two pours is forever a weak point. The center rising a bit is to combat that. There will be no weak point that cuts straight across the post.

Comment

The bottom metal bars that stick out are for an underground tie beam that unites all the posts. There will be no individual swaying of posts that stress them in different directions. This is not special to Zkrib's house but is done in all cement houses here though these are a bit bigger. It also spreads the weight of the house to a heck of alot more surface area.

The upper bar is to tie into the wall which will sit on the tie beam.

Comment

The laborers are moving sacks for today's pour, the ocean side posts.

Comment

Iking isn't a young man but don't tell him that, he works like any two youngsters.

Sho working on the metal tie beam cross pieces. There will be a tie beam built into and along the seawall for the entire length of the house which will spread the weight very nicely. Still three more steps or 2' left to go on the seawall.

Comment

Iking isn't a young man but don't tell him that, he works like any two youngsters.

Sho working on the metal tie beam cross pieces. There will be a tie beam built into and along the seawall for the entire length of the house which will spread the weight very nicely. Still three more steps or 2' left to go on the seawall.

Comment

Here you can see the metal bars for the tie beam coming out the side of the form.

Two posts are being done at once.

Comment

Working...
                                X