No announcement yet.

CV Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe, based on what Ben has sent me (thanks Ben) I am not presenting what I have done well.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

At some point tomorrow I'll look at JM's CV and provide some feedback also.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        I would cut down/out the teaching part unless you are going for trainer specifically. Teaching is something most PhD students do, so unless you do it exceptionally well in a manner you can show in a line or two (an award for teaching, etc.) don't bother with it.

Management track = people and presentation skills primarily, )
        Fundamentally disagree with first point. And as you point out in your next paragraph, presentation and communication skills important in most jobs and teaching shows presentation and communication skills, and not all PhD students do teaching.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

I've taken the liberty and rewrote your stuff.

I wasn't sure exactly how much C++ experience you had so to be on the safe side I blown it up a bit, so you should scale it down if it is out of proportion.

I'm also not familiar with the type of work required for the neutron detectors so I very likely have skewed that too.

Your thoughts?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Sirotnikov; March 4, 2009, 05:03.

Comment

Looks good Siro

If you don't know what process engineer is don't say it. Siro called you an expert, and that is much better than what you had.

Oh, and I'll work on paring down my resume to a page. I guess I don't really need to let people know I can use MSWord.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

... unless you are going to apply to places that use resume keyword scanners, who may well scan for precisely that keyword
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It is definitely presented better than mine, although not entirely correct and doesn't really explain everything. But it is definitely much better than the OP. I will try and come up with something better once I finish what I am currently doing (and have worked on my thesis some).

Thanks.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Spoken like somebody who's never had a technical, nuanced job...
                  Hmm, all I do is get people jobs they like.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Maybe, based on what Ben has sent me (thanks Ben) I am not presenting what I have done well.
                    You are very welcome.

I split out the teaching positions, because they are really two different positions, and you shouldn't combine them. It tells the employer that you took the exact same job over two different institutions, which is important information.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Yeah, you are the only one to suggest that.

In the last 4 years I have spent most of my time using ROOT/C++ to succeed at my projects. However, I am definitely not a great programmer, I have little Comp Sci experience and my use has always been focused on using it as a tool, not writing great code. That being said, I am now (I had a few frustrations with it in the first couple of years) reasonably fast at using it, and make few mistakes.

By the way, just to clear some misconceptions:
                      While I will have publciations in referreed journals, I don't yet (first, I think, will come out in the summer).
                      I have worked with databases, but is a small fraction of what I have worked with.
                      My work with hardware, troubleshooting, and other such things was over the course of 5 intensive months + a few more months of low intensity. A relatively low fraction of my total research time.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I have worked with databases, but is a small fraction of what I have worked with.
                        You could do my job. It has lots of real-world applications.

Comment

My point was just that that didn't make up a large fraction of my experience or skill set, I spent a whole lot less effort/time on it than I did on the hardware stuff.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Put more skills in and your pubs in as submitted.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                              It is definitely presented better than mine, although not entirely correct and doesn't really explain everything. But it is definitely much better than the OP. I will try and come up with something better once I finish what I am currently doing (and have worked on my thesis some).

Thanks.

JM
                              I've tried putting more spin on your strong points, and phrasing it in ways that would interest potential employers. If you notice I left out many things which I think are really not important to anyone, and what I left I tried to phrase in a matter which relates to most company needs.

I would love to hear feedback on my version by people like rah and asher that dealt with resumes and hired people.

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                              Yeah, you are the only one to suggest that.

In the last 4 years I have spent most of my time using ROOT/C++ to succeed at my projects. However, I am definitely not a great programmer, I have little Comp Sci experience and my use has always been focused on using it as a tool, not writing great code. That being said, I am now (I had a few frustrations with it in the first couple of years) reasonably fast at using it, and make few mistakes.
                              You have to admit that using ROOT/C++ for 4 years for solving physics and math problems is pretty good experience.
                              You don't have to be an excellent programmer. You're not applying for a programmer job. You're a scientist that is highly proficient with working with vast arrays of tools, and programming your own sh*t to get things done. Also you learn new things as you go by. That can be highly appreciated. What ever you don't know, you can learn.

By the way, just to clear some misconceptions:
                              While I will have publciations in referreed journals, I don't yet (first, I think, will come out in the summer).
                              Correct it.

If your work is as intensive as you described it (huge arrays of data) your small experience is worth more than another persons long experience with small time problems.
                              Also it is still a good experience.

My work with hardware, troubleshooting, and other such things was over the course of 5 intensive months + a few more months of low intensity. A relatively low fraction of my total research time.
                              It is still impressive, and probably gave you more than 5 months of experience, because of the size of the sensor array, if I understand correctly.

You should be modest, but not too modest.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                                Put more skills in and your pubs in as submitted.
                                Why should he mention his pubs?
                                He can grab a beer with his future employer near work.

Comment

Working...
                                X