No announcement yet.

CV Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you guys cut the publications/presentations section?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Jon, I've sent you a PM.

I don't seen anything wrong with a publications, but you'll have to tighten it up so that it's a line for each publication.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

"I served as a process engineer for a large international collaboration to investigate the nature of the neutron. I troubleshooted the detector apparatus, collaborated in writing the software in ROOT/C++, and calibrated over 400 individual detectors. In the process I developed new techniques to solve analysis problems, such as proton to neutron conversion and accidental background within the neutron detectors."

edit, to add the terminology.
        Last edited by Ben Kenobi; March 2, 2009, 18:56.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I don't know what a process engineer is?

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The thing I noticed about the Publications is that the first and last seemed pretty impressive and the others looked like padding.
            "Hall A Workshop"
            "Hall A Meeting" ????

What non-physics-geek potential employer would have a clue WTF that means?

So I would dump it and just summarize, something like:

ACADEMIC PUBLICATIONS
            Various presentations and publications, culminating with “Measurement of the Electric Form Factor of the Neutron at High Momentum Transfer” presented at Particle and Nuclear International Conference 2008, Proceedings 2009

That would eliminate quetions while establishing your credentials, and gives you speaking material for the interview.

A couple other notes: Leading with "Doctorate of Philosphy" in bold is a huge mistake. It makes you sound like a filosofer, not a scientist. You also have a disturbing tendindency to mix bold, CAPS and italics with standard type. This is a business document, not a graphic arts project.

Ph.D. Experimental Nuclear Physics, 2009
            University of Maryland, College Park MD

B.A. Mathermatics and Honors Physics (double major), 2002
            Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter MN

If you feel strongly about listing your thesis and dissertation topics, consider putting them under Academic Publications.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

And if you don't know what a process engineer is, don't say you have experience at it on your resume.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

ACADEMIC PUBLICATIONS
                Various presentations and publications, culminating with “Measurement of the Electric Form Factor of the Neutron at High Momentum Transfer” presented at Particle and Nuclear International Conference 2008, Proceedings 2009

That would eliminate quetions while establishing your credentials, and gives you speaking material for the interview.
                I agree.

A couple other notes: Leading with "Doctorate of Philosphy" in bold is a huge mistake. It makes you sound like a filosofer, not a scientist. You also have a disturbing tendindency to mix bold, CAPS and italics with standard type. This is a business document, not a graphic arts project.
                Agreed.

Ph.D. Experimental Nuclear Physics, 2009
                University of Maryland, College Park MD

B.A. Mathermatics and Honors Physics (double major), 2002
                Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter MN
                Yeah, I like that format J.Rabbit. I was thinking he should shorten it to simply University of Maryland, and Gustavus Adolphus College, leaving the dates.

If you feel strongly about listing your thesis and dissertation topics, consider putting them under Academic Publications.
                Do employers really care about dissertation and thesis topics?

Comment

I left the city locations with the colleges because Gustavus Adulphus is a bit obscure.

Do employers really care about dissertation and thesis topics?

Only if they are pertinent to their business.

Comment

I followed a recommended template for the italics/bold, it isn't anything that I feel strongly about.

It is true that some of those meetings were more important than others (the first and last), but I wouldn't say any of them were fluff. Going with selected talks/publications seems like a good idea (and I can put my dissertation there).

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                      Far too long. Give yourself a one-page limit.

One thing most people dont seem to understand: It's not 1990 anymore; we have computers! There's no need to "finalize" a CV and have 100 printed up. This sort of "standard CV" is useful mostly for mass mailings and headhunters only. Which almost never nets a job.

Think in terms oF specific job apps. You should be researching the gig (job description, the organization itself and the hiring manager) and customizing your submission to that situation. So you may want to take a modular approach, creating versions that emphasize different strengths for various types of opportunities (pure research, management track, consultant/advisor, teaching, etc.).
                      Absolutely tailor the resume extensively per job posting. I always do that, it makes a big difference in "hit rates".

re: the 1 page limit. When I first got out of school, the 1-page resume was a good idea. But I've been in the consulting world for 3 years now, which means 2-pages is really what is acceptable. I've done a wide variety of work over the past 3 years, and that variety is really a key factor about me I want potential employers to see. I have listed all of the major projects I've worked on, as well as my contributions and activities on them. So far, in the week I've been unemployed, it's been a tremendous asset and I've gotten lots of requests as a result out of it. Certain companies zero in on one or two lines from one or two of my projects and that's the entire reason they call me. If I remove that kind of detail, I risk not letting people know what I can and have done.

The 1-page limit is probably better for general management type of roles, but for technical roles applying for technical jobs -- it's a lot more like a CV, where it's more detailed, specific, and long.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Regarding the resume getting the interview and the interview getting you the job -- that's what I'd worry about most with JM.

I know JM is a bright guy but he can come off as a bit aloof. You probably need to practice interviewing a lot, it really is key. I've been told I interview very, very well but I haven't done it very much -- simply because when I do get an interview, I almost always get the job. In my whole life I've interviewed once and not gotten the job, and I'm still bitter about it to this day -- it was for CompuSmart, a now-defunct(?) retail computer electronics store for a sales position in 1st year university. They never told me why I didn't get it, of course, but I'm pretty sure it was because I wasn't slimey enough to tell lies about the computers. In the interview I gave honest, accurate answers to the faux-customer shopping scenarios about the capabilities and limitations of each machines. I guess honesty isn't good for sales...

We can do an interview help thread too and I'll share my love.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          You can do that in one page, Jon. I've never done a CV for anybody more then a page, and if you need more then a page, chance are you either have fluff that can be cut, or you haven't narrowed into the job sufficiently to find the things that you'll need.
                          Spoken like somebody who's never had a technical, nuanced job...

Comment

Tailoring a CV for a particular job-type is a must. I'd definitely beef up the skills section and move it 'up' the page and the publications 'down'. In this case, I think a 2 page CV is fine (my 'short' CV is 4 pages with small font so I guess I'll never make it past the RAH-screen).
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              Absolutely tailor the resume extensively per job posting. I always do that, it makes a big difference in "hit rates".

re: the 1 page limit. When I first got out of school, the 1-page resume was a good idea. But I've been in the consulting world for 3 years now, which means 2-pages is really what is acceptable. I've done a wide variety of work over the past 3 years, and that variety is really a key factor about me I want potential employers to see. I have listed all of the major projects I've worked on, as well as my contributions and activities on them. So far, in the week I've been unemployed, it's been a tremendous asset and I've gotten lots of requests as a result out of it. Certain companies zero in on one or two lines from one or two of my projects and that's the entire reason they call me. If I remove that kind of detail, I risk not letting people know what I can and have done.

The 1-page limit is probably better for general management type of roles, but for technical roles applying for technical jobs -- it's a lot more like a CV, where it's more detailed, specific, and long.
                              Asher, JM doesn't have anything yet to put on the second page.
                              Graffiti in a public toilet
                              Do not require skill or wit
                              Among the **** we all are poets
                              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Exactly right, onodera.

Comment

Working...
                                X