Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is it to know how to fight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, I'm shocked that no one said "Poll invalid without banana kung fu option."
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Training in a form of martial arts can impart a number of desirable qualities, yes. Least among them, however, is the knowledge of "how to fight".

I was in a fair few fights at a school age. In adulthood, I've been in a fight situation twice.

The first, the person attempting to mug me decided it was a better idea to leave us alone.

The second, I've always found that when confronted by several individuals, taking out the person doing the talking tends to disrupt the other's willingness to get involved.
      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        Better to know how and never need to, than to need to and not know how.
        I said "very important" for precisely the reason above. If people know you can and you will if pushed, most of the time they won't push. Just because fighting should be the last resort, you shouldn't be without that option if you get there.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon View Post
          Primary target = groin
          You could also hit the forehead, nose, chin, veins to the brain, sternum, ribs, abdomen, kidneys, knees, the sides of the leg just above the knees, etc...
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

For the most part, being able to fight won't get you noticed by the fairer sex unless you fight them which is called "abuse." Not a good way to be noticed. Folks who do notice if you fight a lot are called policemen and they have little sense of humor and lots of pent-up violence. Do not test this theory.
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Not sure. I would feel more comfortable if I knew my kid knew how to fight, preferably mixed martial arts as well. However, it depends on the kid, I mean if he/she is a total idiot, this might launch them into fights they wouldn't have otherwise gotten into.

So it's a double thingie, yes, learn how to fight but more importantly learn how to stay away from them.

But it's like Ben says, there are two types of people when it comes to fighting. Most are scared and think all the horrible ways they'll get beaten. And the rest are scared but think about what to do to the other one. And that's the big difference. The rest is all heart. It is to function in a situation of danger and not freeze up and immobilize yourself. If you have to fight, it is better to fight hard and well. THis means, if you're going to get it, it's better to not get beaten too badly.

As long as it's not a thing where the kid learns to fight well, and then because of that becomes a bully. That's the biggest no no in my books. Then you just created a new ******* to the world to torment others.

THere are bigger things to learn. Like for example, that you can defend yourself. And you should defend yourself, don't let others dictate how you should live, walk or what clothes you should wear. Don't let them get to you. If they threaten, then defend yourself. Win or lose, you stood up for yourself and that's what really counts later in life. To acknowledge certain level of fear, to accept it, and to keep appreciating yourself and be strong headed, to go for the things you want to go, to go for the dreams you have and not let others pressure or threaten you with violence. To feel comfortable in that zone is the lesson I want my kids to learn. Not necessarily to fight per se, but to be able to walk their own line, and not back down from their dreams, not give bullies any more ammunition, but to stand up for yourself and handle fear.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Teaching a kid how to fight doesn't necessarily create a bully. Bullies are cowards at heart, and because they're afraid, they want to make other people afraid. And of course they'll try and pick on smaller kids, as they think they're easier targets.
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

And you claim to be a christian
                  I wasn't then.

I've not been in a fight, oh, I'd say for 15 years now.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    I wasn't then.

I've not been in a fight, oh, I'd say for 15 years now.
                    I, for one, commend you for sacrificing your Mike Tyson-like punching skills, and controlling your Atomic Bomb-like inner rage to be in service to Our Lord.

Don't let them get you down, Ben... you might hurt them too bad
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

And you wouldn't like Ben when he's angry.

And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx View Post
                        Training in a form of martial arts can impart a number of desirable qualities, yes. Least among them, however, is the knowledge of "how to fight".

couldn't agree more

The second, I've always found that when confronted by several individuals, taking out the person doing the talking tends to disrupt the other's willingness to get involved.

very true.

you take out the alpha male, and the rest cower.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov View Post

couldn't agree more
                          Huh? Weren't it your people who invented krav maga?
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

yeah. what does it have to do with anything?

yes, krav maga has much less idealist bull**** and more ways to make your opponent sorry.

but what ever martial art you learn, you get in return: fitness, self control and discipline, and a major boost to self confidence.

Comment

Krav maga?? What is??

Comment

Krav maga?? What is??
                                Jew Kung-fu. It's very effective in messing up your opponent.

As for the original question, it's good to learn how to defend yourself enough to hold a guy off. There's no sense in being able to absolutely demolish a guy when you can learn to control him and then let him tire himself out. Most people don't have the stamina to fight for more than one or two minutes, so all you'll need to is hold on, keep him under control and wait for the cops.
                                If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Working...
                                X