Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is it to know how to fight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is it to know how to fight?

And do you know how to fight?

Something a woman said at work the other day. She wanted one of my coworkers to teach her son how to fight (he's into UFC and I guess knows how to fight himself). And at first I didn't think that's a responsible thing for a mother to do. But maybe I'm way off. Maybe fighting is still very important. Maybe this is why I've never been able to find a girlfriend- because I can't fight. As hollywood movies would have you to believe, the minute you walk down the street with a girl, you will be tested by one ore more thugs wanting to take her away from you. . It even happened in Gran Torino which I just got back from watching. I've never believed I could ever get a gf because of this.

So the real question is should we know how to fight? It seems with the way society is now days, you risk a serious lawsuit/jail time if you fight someone. That's why I never thought it was important before now.
    Very important
    10.71%
    somewhat important
    46.43%
    not important at all
    39.29%
    no clue
    3.57%

I voted somewhat, though I've never been in a fight. It's probably more important to carry yourself like you know how to fight and never get into one.

I had a very little bit of martial arts training. And of course things I picked up from movies:
    • Primary target = groin
    • Take the biggest guy in the world, shatter his knee and he'll drop like a stone.
    • The eyes are the groin of the head. (OK, that wasn't a movie.)

Or you could just pull out a .44 magnum and say in a raspy voice, "Go ahead. Make my day." But then you better hit what you aim at.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

if you're the sort of person get into fights, then yes. if you're the sort of person who doesn't, then it's useful but certainly not very important.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Well, I've been in several fights, haven't lost any of them.

I'm a firm believer if you are going to fight you should strike first. Decide well ahead of time if you are going to do something, and what exactly you are going to do. Otherwise, walk away.

I remember one fellow who kept ragging on me to get into a fight, I just ignored him, until finally one day I lost my patience and broke his nose. One punch.

I got kept after school, but it was the sweetest 2 hours I ever had. He never bothered me after.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

"Benchpress for what...? Lift 4 pounds." - CamRon, The Diplomats (DipSet.) [referring to a gun.]
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            Well, I've been in several fights, haven't lost any of them.

I'm a firm believer if you are going to fight you should strike first. Decide well ahead of time if you are going to do something, and what exactly you are going to do. Otherwise, walk away.

I remember one fellow who kept ragging on me to get into a fight, I just ignored him, until finally one day I lost my patience and broke his nose. One punch.

I got kept after school, but it was the sweetest 2 hours I ever had. He never bothered me after.
            And you claim to be a christian
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

All this talk of violence...........

~shudder~
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Better to know how and never need to, than to need to and not know how.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

funny thing is even though I don't know how to fight, I never lost one. Only been in 2. One in elementary school, and one in high school. Both times I was provoked verbally and lost my cool. In both cases neither guy retaliated. I really caught them off guard.

Despite this I was bullied in elementary school (never after). I can't remember that time frame very much, but don't think I was ever bullied after my first fight. But I changed schools, so I doubt anyone remember my fight. And I think the one fat cuban kid who bullied me changed schools or something. I never saw him much (think my brother had a word with him though).

No one hardly messes with me. Actually no one pays me much attention in general. Which is a good thing for keeping out of trouble. Thing is women don't pay any attention to me either. If I go to a bar, I never catch one looking at me. It just never happens.

Comment

Dress in a pirate outfit.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

that would test my fighting skills for sho

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        Dress in a pirate outfit.

Yeah, that will work

Next thing you know, you will be fighting for air as some dude tries to put you to sleep blocking your airway

You might want to say your a Pirate and he is a dock hand and is packing your cargo hold for a trip around the world

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Knowing how to fight is good, but it's smarter to avoid situations where fighting is necessary.

A parent wanting their child to learn how to fight is normal I'd say. Discipline and responsibility are traditionally values people have to learn before a master will fully teach them. A properly trained fighter would only fight in life or death situations, which pretty much means never for us in the western world.

Comment

It's very important if you live near a lot of minorities.

Comment

I live near white people, but they may be a minority where I am.

Anyway, knowing how to fight can be good for self-confidence. Actually fighting can be a bad thing, since you never know what you may be up against.
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X