Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is it to know how to fight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timexwatch View Post
    Jew Kung-fu. It's very effective in messing up your opponent.
    Krav maga is a code name. It's actually known as Jew-Jitsu within the IDF and the practitioners are known as Ninjews. Of course each ninjew is armed with a throwing star of david.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV View Post
      Krav maga is a code name. It's actually known as Jew-Jitsu within the IDF and the practitioners are known as Ninjews. Of course each ninjew is armed with a throwing star of david.
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I still don't buy it. I'd rather run than fight. I don't care if people call me a *****. At least I don't have a lawsuit on my hands.

Criminals will always have the advantage, and they will always get sympathy from the pathetic liberal population. You will get sued. So just run!

Comment

Oh won't you gimme three steps
          Gimme three steps, mister
          Gimme three steps towards the door?
          Gimme three steps
          Gimme three steps, mister
          And you'll never see me no more
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I think this is an issue that's a little similar to my feelings on gun ownership.

In principle, I'm against it. In an ideal world, with a justice system that functions fully, you shouldn't have to possess injuring or lethal force just to dissuade an attack.

In practice, I recognize this is not always the case. I think a lot of it depends on your circumstances. If you're living in a safe area, then I think the potential damage outweighs the potential benefit. But there are areas where a gun is important to safety and so the cost-benefit analysis shifts towards favoring ownership.

For martial arts, my views are even more relaxed. The amount of damage you can cause with misuse of your hands is still far less than what you might do with a misused gun. Plus the benefits go beyond the issues narrowly dealing with security: martial arts is one of the most well-rounded physical exercise activities you can take part in.

I'd hesitate to say it's "important" to know how to fight - although this goes straight back to the issue of how dangerous is the place where you live and how likely are you to need to defend yourself. I'd phrase it more as "regardless of the self-defence issues, the exercise benefits alone are very favorable".

I've done martial arts most of my life and I still wouldn't fancy my chances in a straight up fight. My goals would be much more towards surprising an attacker and then getting the hell away. The balance may be different for male practitioners though.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
            X