The European Dream is the last hope for the ultimate victory of humanist ideals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
    I wonder can one be a nationalist or patriot if the group he is proud of being part of isn't a nation?
    There are Flemish nationalists here, but Flanders is not a nation. So yes.
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs View Post
      I think Doc means there needs to be another superpower that is an ally / friend to the United States. Russia - especially given 20th century history - only barely meets that requirement
      No, I mean there needs to be a counter-balance to American power, though it is preferrable that the counter-balance come from a power with a humanistic ideology similar to our own. We don't need to revisit the atrocities of the late Cold War.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        They already do, and they only have 10 percent. You're assuming that it takes 1 euro = 1 Islamist. We all know that's not true...

you really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Comment

There is nothing quite as funny as Europeans trying to be cool by copying American rap. :snicker:
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
            Organic food is a scam and is actually a more corporate and environmentally-unfriendly endeavor than regular farming.
            Jesus Christ. I am forced to agree with Drake. I hate it when this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
              that's the best thing they've got going for them
              Oh, ****, Kuci agreed with me...
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs View Post
                TCO says we're Eurowimps,
                You had a chance to prove otherwise and yet you created that wussmaster rap song. Stack that against America, **** Yeah! and tell me which one's the *****.
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york View Post
                  And if the American heartland was to be inundated in Agent Orange, I'm sure you wouldn't change your eating habits through patriotic fervour.
                  Only Patriotic American made Strontium 90 goes into our heartland.

Comment

I have strontium for breakfast each morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                      If humanity is capable of improving itself and learning from history it will first do so in Europe since it is the home of a family of cultures that has produced some of histories greatest geniuses and villains.
                      I think if there's something to be learned from history, that something might just be the fact that you're not supposed to include different nationalities in the same political entity. That's a lesson the 20th century should have taught us on numerous occasions, both in Europe and elsewhere.

No disagreement on open trade. Free movement could be a good idea too, but already here we're seeing problems. A united foreign policy? Please.

I'm not arguing that you can't feel European, or that you shouldn't. What I could argue, however, is that most people don't share this idealism and never will, regardless of whether we end up sharing currencies etc.

Comment

Hey, our individual colonies got over it. It just takes awhile. Since they were new entities they were able to merge quicker... a united Europe is possible, it'll just take a loong time to get over nationalist feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                          You had a chance to prove otherwise and yet you created that wussmaster rap song. Stack that against America, **** Yeah! and tell me which one's the *****.
                          I have no idea what you're talking about
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Blah. The national characters of the euro nations are so different its like the multiple personalities of Syble. They all live in the same place and they all want to take over and none of them like the others. Europe is like one very screwed up chick except that euros, even the guys, think they're hotter than your run of the mill screwed up chick. If there didn't why would they wear bikini bottoms?
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I had a European dream...it was that I was on holiday on a beach in Spain, relaxing
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                                Hey, our individual colonies got over it. It just takes awhile. Since they were new entities they were able to merge quicker... a united Europe is possible, it'll just take a loong time to get over nationalist feelings.
                                Dude, you can't compare the two. Even though the colonies were obviously different from each other, they were just that, colonies in the 'new world', not nation states. (Edit: I know you acknowledge the situations are different, I just think you still underestimate how different they are.)

As for the nationalist feelings, why would this European feeling in a united Europe be any less of a nationalist feeling than the current ones? Seems to me it's just about replacing one nationalist feeling with a new one. It's not like there won't still be some people on the inside and some people on the outside...

Comment

Working...
                                X