The European Dream is the last hope for the ultimate victory of humanist ideals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS View Post
    Human beings are inherently religious creatures.
    Really?

I would say, rather, that human beings inherently want to find order in things that are random - hence things such as superstitions and belief in divine forces.

Alternatively you could ascribe the acceptance of specious offers of a better life/afterlife to other facets of human nature, including greed or the need for security. And it's not restricted to religious allure either.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Human beings are inherently religious creatures. A society won't be atheist long. Given this, even a pragmatic atheist may wish to have a christian society rather than the alternatives available at the time.
      They said similar things about American democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
        I'm not a Yank.
        Watch out, Harper just finished up a meeting with the EU about closer economic ties. I've not read too much about it, but apparently it went fairly well. We could be the first North Americans in the Western Union

Comment

Right now the EU is enforcing peace throughout North America

Remember what happened between the US and Canada when there was no EU.....
          Last edited by BeBMan; January 11, 2009, 07:13.
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs View Post
            sovereignty-driven bigots have halted that evolution
            Nice to see you got the whole unbiased debating thing nailed down.
            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Saras, no no, that's the humanism part . IF ONLY EVERYONE did this thing, we would all be so happy and prosperous. So you are the enemy Saras, you and your independence fantasies. Don't you know that being a sovereign state in Europe is SOOOO 90s? Get on the board. Don't be a bigot. And I know you hate Bobo because he is brown and not because he raped all of your family. No, because you are a racist and your uncle was a rapist too, did you want to deport him? NO! You son of a b...

I mean come on, if we didn't have bigots like you, we'd be living happy. Happy together, we'd be living in utopia. These dreams that are for all of you. Everyone is having this same dream. Only bigots have different dreams. You just say no because you cannot say yes beucase you're stupid and idiot and racist and probably sexist and nazi too.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Well, humanism is to order of society what Richard Dawkins is to decreasing the influence of religion and getting along together.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I'm glad to see you put it so eloquently, Pekka.

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV View Post
                    What you say about the Belgian people is true. I've never met a Belgian who didn't have masturbatory fantasies about cutting of the hands of Congolese peasants.
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Hmmm, according to that smiley you only fantasize about hacking off right arms, yes?

Comment

I wonder can one be a nationalist or patriot if the group he is proud of being part of isn't a nation?
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs View Post
                          I don' think every American is stupid. Nevertheless, a vast amount of them hates the EU and what it stands for with all their guts. TCO says we're Eurowimps, Drake says we're all mass-murdering pigs etc. Even if they're simply trolling, their nonsensical drivel reveils an ingrained dislike towards their former overlords

Most Americans don't give the European Union a passing thought. Your just not that important any more. Perhaps in the future you may be but your not at the moment. We are too busy fearing the Muslims, Chinese, Russians and Mexicans to give our former overlords a passing thought. Sorry if that bursts your bubble.
                          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Human beings are inherently religious creatures. A society won't be atheist long. Given this, even a pragmatic atheist may wish to have a christian society rather than the alternatives available at the time.
                            I think this is why we have seen an increase of mysticism and Islam in europe (I include Russia).

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Eurocentricity
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Lastly, I am uneasy and mistrustful of the lack of religious feeling in some parts of Europe.
                                that's the best thing they've got going for them

Comment

Working...
                                X