Russians stop gas shipments to Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
    On the Turkish pipeline, would you send it through Syria or Iraq?
    Syria has no gas or oil so either Iraq or Iran. Another option is to copy the oil pipeline under the Caspian Sea only make the new one for natural gas. That should allow delivery of central Asian gas which currently must be routed through Russia. Also both Algeria and Tunis have fair amounts of natural gas so pipelines from Morocco-Spain or Tunis-Sicily could provide a 3rd and 4th avenue.

Supply diversification really would help so next time Putin wants to play these games supplies can be gotten from else where and Putin can wonder where all of his export money went.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Georgia pipelines looking desirable now...albiet USSR ability to interfere with Georgia with pretext is high (or even Ukraine with Crimean pretext)

Comment

Hey, we need all this gas and oil stuff added to the next Civ.
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun View Post
          Hey, we need all this gas and oil stuff added to the next Civ.

And atrocities!
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
            No, Ukraine:
            Also, let us finish Nord Stream. Then we'll have the Ukraine by the balls.
            You know well Russia uses pipelines and economics in general for agressive political play. Some soviet statued removed from the capital of Estonia, Talinn --> railways to Estonia and power supply lines suddenly fail and need a long long fixing.
            Polish company buys a refinery in Lithuania instead of a russian one --> the refinery suddenly gets destroyed by fire, and, what a coincidence, the pipeline to it breaks and Russians need months to fix it.

Poland supports Ukraine in conflict with Russia - Russia finds polish food products unproper for its markets and starts embargo.

You can cry, onodera, but Moscow has well deserved lack of trust.
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

Russia also uses the pipes to smuggle drugs into Eastern Europe.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well, no one is benefiting from this. Russia is not going to benefit from alienating EU as a partner, on the contrary.

Besides, I do think that Russia has some legitimacy to their claim, parallel to what onodera posted. **** it, I do not think Ukraine is a reliable member country AT ALL. Surely Russia needs to pay coins for them, but I just have a gut feeling this time Ukraine is partly, if not solely, to blame.

IMO we should stand together against Russia in EU, but to only show unified front, and then choke Ukraine ourselves. Take care of that pest, and then normalize relationship with Russia again. I don't know, send them free bananas or something,
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Ukraine can do whatever they want! That gas passes through their territory. The Eurowimps are pussified, just like we expected. And Finland is all Finlandized anyhow. Russia's little *****. I like Russia more than the ***** countries that appease them.

Comment

We should defend the Ukraine at all costs, like the US did with its ally Georgia. Ha!
                    Blah

Comment

Putnin ordered the pipeline shutdown and reportedly asked for neutral observers to inspect the line for theft of gas by the Ukrainians. I take it that means that he'll have to turn it back on, since obviously the Ukrainians can't steal gas from a pipe that's shut off.

Is it unreasonable for the Russians to ask for neutral observers?
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I don't know if you've noticed (collectively), but this with OPEC lowering production has started gas prices rising again. If someone said it, excuse me.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson View Post
                          You know well Russia uses pipelines and economics in general for agressive political play.
                          Yes, we do. Who doesn't?
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Yeah, slowwhand, the gas-price is fixed to the oil price (thus any speculation, that russia does this to raise the gas-price are off).

Comment

As a matter of fact Russia can sell or not its own gas; only the countries without
                              atomic weapons cannot decide about their own commodities.
                              Best regards,

Comment

Long have I dealt with the Russian, facing him across a Curtain of Iron he drew down upon an arbitrary line and this I have learned and will share with you now...

You don't have to verify he's being a Russian if you never trust him not to be.
                                Long time member @ Apolyton
                                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                                X