Russians stop gas shipments to Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russians stop gas shipments to Europe

"KIEV, Ukraine – Ukrainian officials said Wednesday that Russia had cut off all gas supplies through pipelines crossing Ukrainian territory, the latest move in a devastating pricing dispute between the two neighbors that has already left a number of countries without gas.

Valentyn Zemlyansky, spokesman for state gas company Naftogaz, said Russia's gas giant Gazprom completely stopped sending gas to European consumers at 7:44 a.m. (0544 GMT). Eighty percent of Russian gas is shipped via Ukraine.

Words fail us," Zemlyansky said of Gazprom's move.

Russia confirmed the cutoff but said it was Ukraine's fault because it had shut down the last pipeline carrying gas from Russia.

The Russia-Ukraine natural gas dispute has hit Europe with the force of a winter storm. It has affected at least a dozen nations. Tens of thousands of people were left without heat and governments scrambled to find alternative energy sources.

Before Wednesday, Bulgaria, Greece, Macedonia, Romania, Croatia, Serbia and Turkey had all reported a halt in gas shipments, while France, Germany, Austria, Poland and Hungary had reported substantial drops in supplies from Russia.

Remember the evil Amis saying that the EU would get too dependant on Russian gas? Looks like they were not out to lunch like you claimed!

You can all now sell Ukraine down the river to appease Russia. I wonder if the Crimea is sufficient or take all of Ukraine. After Georgia and Ukraine what next for imperialism? Linking up with that little piece of Baltic territory? You can rest easy Central Europeans, lot's of East European territory for appeasement.
    Last edited by TCO; January 7, 2009, 06:37. Reason: vim

...and so WWIII began....
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The Germans are such little cowards:

That reluctance is exacerbated by divisions in the EU over how tough a stand to take against the Kremlin - with Germany and Italy usually doveish, and Poland and the Baltic states particularly combative.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
        ...and so WWIII began....
        Will it be blamed on the gas? Or a TCO-trolled flame war?

Comment

the greek gas company says we're good until the end of the month
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Mark, do you rely on gas for energy?

Time to install those solar panels to your roof! Screw paying for energy!
            be free

Comment

Well, personally, i rather get a blanket than killing someone for my heating. I prefer being a freezing pauper over being a murderer and a thief. Each of us once was dependent on his/her parents - how many did kill them, to get what they needed from them? And surely, americans are the ones to complain about russian imperialism these days...

The russian claim is, that the Ukraine didnt pay for gas it took out of the pipe, or took more than it paid for. I am in no position to verify this claim. But IF it is true, cutting off the supply is the reasonable thing to do. True, some other nations would have invaded right away (even if it wasnt their gas to begin with, if they just needed it).

BTW: I find it really cool, how the russian media presents it´s presidents decision making. They aired a staged conversation Putin had with the boss of gazprom. Thats a cool format. Like it alot.

Comment

Originally posted by TCO View Post
                You can all now sell Ukraine down the river to appease Russia. I wonder if the Crimea is sufficient or take all of Ukraine. After Georgia and Ukraine what next for imperialism? Linking up with that little piece of Baltic territory? You can rest easy Central Europeans, lot's of East European territory for appeasement.
                Yes, we are heartless bastards who want to squeeze the Ukraine's budget udder hard, but don't forget we sell them our natural gas at a highly reduced price.

Russia: hey, *the* Ukraine, we will sell you gas for the same price we sell it to the Germans.
                Ukraine:
                Russia: No? Okay, we'll pump less gas into your pipeline, don't take any, and our European partners will get the amount they bought.
                Ukraine:
                Croatia, Serbia, Romania, Greece, Hungary, Germany, etc: We're not getting enough gas!
                Ukraine:
                Russia: Okay, *the* Ukraine, be a good country and give the gas back, or no one will get any gas at all.
                EU:

What will happen:

EU: Okay, Ukraine, time to cough up, our people are burining furniture in the town squares.
                Ukraine: ?
                EU: Okay, Russia, we'll pay for the Ukraine.
                Russia: *opens the valve*
                EU:
                Russia:
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post
                  Mark, do you rely on gas for energy?
                  greece started using gas for home use the last 6-7 years so the grand majority of homes is still on oil. personally i have gas at the office and oil at home...
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

The Ukraine doesn't have to let any of that gas flow. Russia is beholden to Ukraine to transship to EU. Look at the Alaska pipeline for crude. It stops because of Canada instead of running down to the lower 48. Ukraine can and should demand whatever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post

EU: Okay, Ukraine, time to cough up, our people are burining furniture in the town squares.
                      Ukraine: ?
                      EU: Okay, Russia, we'll pay for the Ukraine.
                      Russia: *opens the valve*
                      EU:
                      Russia:
                      That's actually a good solution, imperialist. But you forgot, Ukraine:

Comment

Ukrainian political elite is full of crooks. I believe their line as much as I believe Russia's.
                        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Fire up Ignalina! Get that Chernobyl style 'tractor cooking.

Comment

It's still cooking, Block II. And it's technically different from Chernobyl in many aspects!

Seriously, nice precedent by Bulgaria .
                            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Plus we got a separate pipe from Russia, pay on time, don't steal and have Gazprom as 38% shareholder of our gas utility (39% is E.ON). Wikkid.

Comment

Working...
                              X