Feast of the Immaculate Conception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feast of the Immaculate Conception

Can anyone explain this to me? Wikipedia isn't doing a good job. Roman Catholics are feasting to celebrate the immaculate conception of the virgin Mary... WTF? What did I miss in the Bible that said she was immaculately conceived? Also, isn't this worship of Mary a sin, it's not a worshiping of God?

The Catholic infatuation with Mary and inparting on her super powers makes no sense to me.
    Monkey!!!

By, not of, is my assumption.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The Catholic infatuation with Mary and inparting on her super powers makes no sense to me.

Forkin' Prod.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

He's right, it is of. Doesn't make much sense to me either, and I'm Catholic.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

What's that for?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

For your complete lack of understanding of Catholic theology.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm not Catholic. All I know is that she conceived immaculately. I didn't know anyone thought in ran in the family.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                  Doesn't make much sense to me either...
                  What part of Christianity DOES make sense?

Comment

Roman Catholics are feasting to celebrate the immaculate conception of the virgin Mary... WTF? What did I miss in the Bible that said she was immaculately conceived?

The Virgin Mary has been described quite often as being the only person who committed no sin. In order to not sin, to the Catholics, you have to be immaculately concieved (in order to avoid all that original sin stuff). Other Christians believe that Jesus wiped away the original sin and all that stuff (while others have some problems with the entire original sin stuff as the Catholics believe).

You'd imagine that for the vessel of the son of God, you'd need the perfect womb. One that was without sin would be it.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ah, good explanation.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I don't get how who her parents were would figure into the equation. I get the fact that Jesus was conceived without sin, but why Mary?
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Can anyone explain this to me? Wikipedia isn't doing a good job. Roman Catholics are feasting to celebrate the immaculate conception of the virgin Mary
                          Christ has a human nature, being born of the Virgin and yet was entirely free from sin. Since we know that human nature since the fall of Adam, has been corrupt, how can this be possible? The answer is that the chain has been broken.

If it were Mary who was sinful, then the question is how did Christ, who was carried in her womb, free from sin?

The answer is that Mary was immaculately conceived, preserved from her birth by Christ himself.

Also, isn't this worship of Mary a sin, it's not a worshiping of God?
                          No, it just makes Mary a saint and free from sin, the second Eve for the second Adam.

Are we worshipping Eve when we say that before the fall she was free from the stain of sin?

Catholics believe three things, her immaculate conception, her ascension into heaven and her sinlessness. If in fact she was sinless, then the other two follow. For we know that the wages of sin are death, and that without sin we would not die. Therefore, Mary ascended into heaven, as did Elijah and other OT saints.

If you want to complain about super powers, then you should read up on Elijah.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                            Christ has a human nature, being born of the Virgin and yet was entirely free from sin. Since we know that human nature since the fall of Adam, has been corrupt, how can this be possible? The answer is that the chain has been broken.

If it were Mary who was sinful, then the question is how did Christ, who was carried in her womb, free from sin?

The answer is that Mary was immaculately conceived, preserved from her birth by Christ himself.
                            If it all takes to make one without sin is that they be immaculately conceived, why would Mary have to have been immaculately conceived as well to make Jesus without sin? This logic doesn't make sense, as you've stated it.

Or is the idea that Mary wasn't born of a woman at all, but rather just poofed into existence? What does "preserved from her birth" mean?

And if that is the case, the Bible states that Jesus is the descendant of David, how could that be if he had no father and his mother was poofed into being?
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It seems it's a byproduct of two things:

A. The Catholic notion of Original Sin, under which IIUC we inherit not only Adam's predilections but his guilt.
                              B. The Catholic urge to make all theology as cut-and-dried as the multiplication table.

Having neither, I have no problem rejecting the IC.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X