Some post-election thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some post-election thoughts

Had some ideas bouncing around my head after reading far too many blogs and discussion threads:

Some post-election thoughts

1. Coalitions: one thing I’ve seen a lot of in post-election commentary is talking about if Republicans have to kick out their fundie faction or their neo-con faction or their anti-New Deal faction or whatever in order to appeal to moderates better. What I think that this misses is that the far-right wing of the Republican Party is far more unified than the moderate wing of the Republican Party. In most cases people who are nut-ball far right wrt one aspect of the Republican agenda they’re probably at least pretty far right wrt to the rest. There really aren’t that many people who are far to the right wrt Social Conservativism who aren’t also strongly in support of the Iraq War, against progressive taxes, etc. etc. right on down the line. You only really get the split into Foreign Policy Cons, Social Cons and Anti New Deal Cons on the more moderate wing of the Republican Party, which is one of the reasons why moderate Republicans are pretty weak. This will also make it pretty damn hard to marginalize any one specific strain of wackiness on the Republican side since it’s hard to kick out one without pissing off the others.

2. Under the Bush administration a vote that was described as “bipartisan” was usually 100% of the Republicans voting for it and being joined by about 50% of the Democrats. This sort of thing happened again and again, with Obama usually not being in that 50%. What Obama will try to do is turn the tables and get things passed with 100% of the Democrats and 50% of the Republicans voting for it by peeling off the usual suspects (Snowe, Collins, Specter, maybe even McCain). Of course it will be harder to make this work against Republicans than it was against the Democrats but IF it works Obama gets to blather on about being Centrist while redefining that Centrism is and driving the hard right into impotent fits of screaming about RINOs.

3. I’ve seen a good bit of posting about how since Bush was unpopular and the economy went to **** and the Republicans still kept it from being a landslide all they needed was to wait for some time to pass and get someone instead of McCain and everything will be fine for the Republicans. I think this really underestimates how much worse the Republicans would’ve done with anyone except for McCain. Of course the hard right base never much liked McCain so they assume that’s the case for everyone else, but if one of their other primary candidates had been nominated they would’ve been annihilated. McCain was by far the best shot the Republicans had and I don’t think that most of the realize that.

4. Abuse of authority: Bush did some pretty messed up things wrt expansion and abuse of Presidential authority (torture, warrantless wiretapping, secret Eastern European prisons, no habeas corpus, unitary executive theory, Cheney claiming he wasn’t part of the executive branch, etc. etc.). I think that Bush got away with has much as he did as much through http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...fugeInAudacity as much as anything. However messed up this stuff is I’m not going to pretend that it was enough in itself to siphon all that many votes away from the Republicans (which is a pretty sad statement on American Democracy in and of itself). However the sort of people who care about this sort of thing tend to follow the news a bit more carefully, volunteer a bit more and financially contribute a lot more than most people. Look at how Ron Paul raised more money than any other Republican primary candidate for example. I think this is a big part of the reason why the Democrats raised more money than the Republicans for the first time I can think of and it probably helped fill out a lot of Obama’s volunteer corps, phone bankers, etc. Again not that much of a voting base (look at how badly Ron Paul got voted in the primaries) but being on the side of Civil Liberties really seems to help with piecemeal fundraising and grass root organization, which Obama was able to tap in to very well.

I read a bunch of Republican blogs right before the election and a lot of them said things like “when people actually get in the voting booth they’ll realize that Democrats stand for more government power and Republicans stand for less government power and they’ll break for the Republicans.” The idea that there are people out there who are angry at Republicans over how much government power they through around (and not just in term of government pork) didn’t even seem to register nor the idea that a party that supported secret torture and wire tapping doesn’t make a whole lot of sense as the champions of Freedom.

5. Ideological vs. coalition: in America to be successful you need a pretty broad coalition. In fact I think that the modern Republicans are one of the most ideologically unified political party that America has seen in a very long time. They’ve almost got European-style party discipline. This is good for many things, but it really runs against the grain of American politics and it has done things like pretty much annihilate New England moderate Republicanism. Places like New Hampshire and Maine (especially the Maine 2nd District where Bush lost by only 5,000 votes in 2,000 and where I’m from ) really aren’t natural fits at all for the national Democratic Party and they’re places where someone like McCain should dominate yet Obama crushed McCain in both, the Republicans are doing something badly wrong for that to happen...
    Stop Quoting Ben

You are using stupid terminology. Anti-New Deal Cons?

But leaving that aside, the GOP coalition is more than broad enough to beat the Dems like a drum forever. However, the internal factions have to scratch each others' backs better, or the party as a whole suffers. The social conservatives need to understand that in order to win, they need the enthusiastic votes of the fiscal conservatives who have formed the backbone of the New England GOP. Further, they need to understand that social conservative hispanics are part of the coalition, so anti-hispanic xenephobia should be curtailed. Lastly, the social conservatives need to generate good presidential candidates consistently. They did none of these this time around.

That said, realistically, with this economy, no candidate from the GOP was going to win. The headwinds were just too great.
    Last edited by DanS; November 23, 2008, 11:06.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

But leaving that aside, the GOP coalition is more than broad enough to beat the Dems like a drum forever.

Forever? This is a party that lost under 30's and Hispanics by worse than two to one under the banner of the most appealing Republican candidate for these demographics. That's a ludicrous statement.

The basic dilemma is that Republicans maintained a large constituency among downscale whites, despite their economic program, by campaigning on a platform of cultural orthodoxy. Which lead to alienation among increasingly important demographic groups. If they were to abandon that orthodoxy, and become a libertarian lite party, they'd substantially reduce their poor white constituency. The GOP has to moderate its platform on economics in order to survive. And I suspect that's what they're going to do.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

But leaving that aside, the GOP coalition is more than broad enough to beat the Dems like a drum forever. However, the internal factions have to scratch each others' backs better, or the party as a whole suffers. The social conservatives need to understand that in order to win, they need the enthusiastic votes of the fiscal conservatives who have formed the backbone of the New England GOP.
        Great. The fiscal conservatives need to understand that defense of traditional marriage and ditching Roe are non-negotiables.

If they can't swallow those, then we are better off without them, then with them.

Lastly, the social conservatives need to generate good presidential candidates consistently. They did none of these this time around.
        McCain was a socon?

In case you didn't notice, socons voted for Huckabee or Romney who was a NE GOP.

McCain was pushed by the moderates.

We have excellent candidates for the presidency, but the problem is the fiscal conservatives refuse to vote for anyone who is socially conservative, and would rather have someone who was socially moderate. That needs to stop.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

In case you didn't notice, socons voted for Huckabee or Romney who was a NE GOP.

Neither Huckabee nor Romney were good Presidential Candidates, as DanS was referring to.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Then who would make a good presidential candidate, DanS?
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Would you have liked Governor Charlie Christ?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                Then who would make a good presidential candidate, DanS?
                Nobody that I know of. Romney didn't have the support of the social conservatives. Neither did McCain, by the way. Huckabee was unelectable, but had the support of the social conservatives.

The social conservatives are the largest part of the GOP, so they have a responsibility to develop good candidates that the other members of the coalition can support and can pass muster with the American people. They are doing a piss-poor job of it right now.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Bush 1 wasn't a social conservative. I think the other groups can get candidates in as long as they have a relatively decent record with social conservative causes.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    You are using stupid terminology. Anti-New Deal Cons?

But leaving that aside, the GOP coalition is more than broad enough to beat the Dems like a drum forever. However, the internal factions have to scratch each others' backs better, or the party as a whole suffers. The social conservatives need to understand that in order to win, they need the enthusiastic votes of the fiscal conservatives who have formed the backbone of the New England GOP. Further, they need to understand that social conservative hispanics are part of the coalition, so anti-hispanic xenephobia should be curtailed. Lastly, the social conservatives need to generate good presidential candidates consistently. They did none of these this time around.

That said, realistically, with this economy, no candidate from the GOP was going to win. The headwinds were just too great.
                    Don't forget that social conservatives should continue with their usual gay bashing.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      Bush 1 wasn't a social conservative. I think the other groups can get candidates in as long as they have a relatively decent record with social conservative causes.
                      That was 1988. The electorate is different nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Great. The fiscal conservatives need to understand that defense of traditional marriage and ditching Roe are non-negotiables.

If they can't swallow those, then we are better off without them, then with them.
                        1. What is this "we" of which you speak, Canadian carpetbagger?

2. Single-issue voting is the OPPOSITE of coalition-building.
                        Last edited by -Jrabbit; November 23, 2008, 22:35.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

This is a party that lost under 30's and Hispanics by worse than two to one under the banner of the most appealing Republican candidate for these demographics.
                          McCain is the most appealing Republican candidate to people under 30?

Comment

In the general, sure. He'd been on the Daily Show more than basically any pol of either party. The McCain brand was strong for a fairly long time. Who do you believe would've done better?
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Someone under the age of 70, for starters.

Comment

Working...
                              X