Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not sure which offends me more, the racism, or the sexism.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it utterly hilarious that Kid has no idea who Mrs. Snuggles is.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I find it sadly predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Snuggles
        Y'know, even bringing up the social rejection thing doesn't make sense for your argument. Part of the reason for feminism is to combat the social violence perpetrated against women, and civil rights is to combat the the societal rejection/pigeonholing of ethnicities and other minorities.

One could argue that with respect to the original post, we saw an example of social violence towards the Asian woman, perpetrated by another woman--not physical violence at all.
        As much as I'm against social rejection, I believe that LYNCHING is worse!
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          I find it utterly hilarious that Kid has no idea who Mrs. Snuggles is.
          Ned?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Snuggles
            In fact, are you implying that Asian culture forces women to be submissive?

How well-versed in Asian culture are you, if we're going to go the route of giving our experiential credentials?
            I realize that by "Asian" you probably mean what used to be called "Oriental"--China, Japan, Korea, Thailand and places in that general area--but even so, isn't it a bit much to speak of a single "Asian culture"? I mean, it's not like there's a "European culture" except insofar as we all like cheese and used to hump the animals we milked to make said cheese...
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
              Ned?
              ...no. Sadly, I don't think you were joking either. You're so far out that insanity to the opposite extreme and moderation seem identical to you.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                You're so far out that insanity to the opposite extreme and moderation seem identical to you.

I wonder if he can even see the middle from where he is.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Who is Mrs Snuggles? I have forgotten myself.

Comment

...no. Sadly, I don't think you were joking either. You're so far out that insanity to the opposite extreme and moderation seem identical to you.
                    So you think social rejection and physical violence are equally bad?

Comment

Oh, I forget about some people's participation in taser threads. Nevermind. I forgot where I was for a moment. This is poly. Go ahead and call me crazy. It makes a lot of sense.

Comment

So you think social rejection and physical violence are equally bad?
                        What exactly do you think leads to the physical violence against minorities?

Comment

I realize that by "Asian" you probably mean what used to be called "Oriental"--China, Japan, Korea, Thailand and places in that general area--but even so, isn't it a bit much to speak of a single "Asian culture"? I mean, it's not like there's a "European culture" except insofar as we all like cheese and used to hump the animals we milked to make said cheese...
                          Well, I was using it in a rather broad and inconsistent sense, honestly. Generally, when I do refer to Asian, I do speak often of Northeast Asia; though there have been times in this thread when I've referred to the entire continent, as well.

It is a bit much to speak of a single Asian culture, but even with the vast differences between all of them, there are some commonalities that can be drawn.

For instance, filial piety; the influence of Buddhist and, to a lesser extent, Hindu, Daoist, and Confucian thought.

Still, I will admit that I've been inconsistent with my use of a very non-specific, overly generic term.
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                            Who is Mrs Snuggles? I have forgotten myself.
                            Check your PMs, but let's let Kid guess.
                            B♭3

Comment

As much as I'm against social rejection, I believe that LYNCHING is worse!
                              Often, those that are lynched are lynched because they are... socially rejected. The African-Americans and the Jews who were often lynched in the American south were also often treated as outsiders, others, which made treating them in inhuman fashions so much easier.

That said, I've never claimed that lynching was 'less bad' than social rejection.
                              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

What exactly do you think leads to the physical violence against minorities?
                                So by me telling someone that I don't want to be their friend I'm responsible for them going out and shooting someone?

Comment

Working...
                                X