Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not sure which offends me more, the racism, or the sexism.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure which offends me more, the racism, or the sexism.

Hey, sister, empower yourself through submission

Ever wonder what social contortions you must endure to marry a count? The good news is you should have plenty of extra time to pick out your smashing outfits, lady, because according to LuAnn de Lesseps -- countess, housewife and star of "The Real Housewives of New York City," -- being the wife of a count certainly doesn't include answering e-mails. According to the New York Post, de Lesseps interrupted two women having drinks at the St. Regis bar, one of whom was Korean and surfing Web sites on her BlackBerry, to dispense some friendly advice about the finer nuances of female empowerment:

I see you working so hard on your BlackBerry; you can't switch off. And I believe in empowering women, because I myself am a woman, so let me give you this advice. When men see females on their BlackBerrys working hard, it really turns them off. Men like women to be females, to not be like workaholics, as that comes off as being uptight in the bedroom and control freaks. With you being Asian, you have an advantage. My European friends in particular adore Asian females because of their submissiveness. So work that to your advantage. At the same time, I can sympathize with you as a woman in New York City, but you have to do what you have to do to snag a man.
    Awesome. Stop Googling the mortgage crisis, baby, because if you strike just the right look of starry-eyed wonder, some rich dude might install you in a house of your own -- paid for in euros (and your dignity).
    Which should I be more bothered by?
    B♭3

The fact that there's a show called "The Real Housewives of New York City".
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

And I don't know why I even decided to look more into this, but here's some more of that NYPost article that was being quoted on Salon:

And with that, de Lesseps, who's married to Alexandre Count de Lesseps but has been caught in clinches with other men this year, announced, "There are no cute men worth my attention here," and left.

Luann said, via her spokesman, Howard Rubenstein, "As someone of Native American heritage, I don't tolerate ethnic stereotyping. But I will say I'm a big believer in manners, and excessive use of a BlackBerry at a table is impolite."
      There are stupid people in all classes. Just ignore them. And don't watch their shows.
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

You should probably be most bothered by the fact that you seem to care what some random person-- countess tv personality etc said.

So she comes across as racist and perhaps favors being a "kept woman" or "sugarbabe" or whatever. If that truly works for her, isn't that her choice? If she wishes to express her opinion, is not that her right, no matter how idiotic we think her opinion may be?
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Ever wonder what social contortions you must endure to marry a qunt?
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
            ... If she wishes to express her opinion, is not that her right, no matter how idiotic we think her opinion may be?
            No one is trying to shut her up. The question is were her comments sexists and/or racist?

Comment

No, the question is which should bother me more.

For what it's worth, I didn't even know a show like that existed until I saw this post on Broadsheet.
              B♭3

Comment

They were the kinds of comments trophy wives make. Basically the whole reason they're trophy wives in the first place.

Trouble is, this one got a TV show, but people only watch it because they want to see how a trophy wife behaves when not on the shelf.

Comment

for this not being an election thread
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Kidicious believes you can't detect sexism, so it must be the racism
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

By Jove! I never thought of it that way, Imran dear. I think you're right!

What a goddamn racist.
                      B♭3

Comment

It's true. You're both insane. So is this women. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                          The fact that there's a show called "The Real Housewives of New York City".

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm offended that there is that show, too.
                            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

So she comes across as racist and perhaps favors being a "kept woman" or "sugarbabe" or whatever. If that truly works for her, isn't that her choice? If she wishes to express her opinion, is not that her right, no matter how idiotic we think her opinion may be?
                              And here you do a good job of expressing the complete moral bankruptcy of our society. This is what happens when people mistake rules of political and social expediency for moral rules.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X