No announcement yet.

Wal-Mart encourages workers to vote Republican

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Freedom isn't free. There's a hefty ****in' fee. And if we all don't chip in our buck o'five, who will?"
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Achtung!

I'm glad to see combat boots were on sale at my local wal-mart!
      Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 14, 2008, 22:08.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Wal-Mart, helping Extreme Christian Fundamentalists !!
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
          Freedom comes at a cost!
          To the lowest income brackets?
          -rmsharpe

Comment

The funny thing, of course, is that Walmart thrived under our last Democratic president, and has suffered mightily under the GOP regime of the last 8 years.

"I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Title's a bit misleading... should be "Wal-Mart encourages management to vote Republican"
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                Achtung!

I'm glad to see combat boots were on sale at my local wal-mart!
                For the poor neo-nazi near you.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

By cutting waste and inefficiency, Wal-Mart has cut costs, which has led to lowered prices, which has led to increased consumer demand, which has increased both employement and the welfare of Wal-Mart's consumers.

Truly poor people who live near Wal-Mart appreciate it. It is only the upper middle-class do-gooders of the world who need some cause to fight for who oppose it, largely because they don't want to alienate their rich friends who also oppose it out of a trend.

Originally written by George Will:
                  The median household income of Wal-Mart shoppers is under $40,000. Wal-Mart, the most prodigious job-creator in the history of the private sector in this galaxy, has almost as many employees (1.3 million) as the U.S. military has uniformed personnel. A McKinsey company study concluded that Wal-Mart accounted for 13 percent of the nation's productivity gains in the second half of the 1990s, which probably made Wal-Mart about as important as the Federal Reserve in holding down inflation. By lowering consumer prices, Wal-Mart costs about 50 retail jobs among competitors for every 100 jobs Wal-Mart creates . Wal-Mart and its effects save shoppers more than $200 billion a year, dwarfing such government programs as food stamps ($28.6 billion) and the earned-income tax credit ($34.6 billion).

People who buy their groceries from Wal-Mart -- it has one-fifth of the nation's grocery business -- save at least 17 percent. But because unions are strong in many grocery stores trying to compete with Wal-Mart, unions are yanking on the Democratic Party's leash, demanding laws to force Wal-Mart to pay wages and benefits higher than those that already are high enough to attract 77 times as many applicants than there were jobs at this store.
                  [...]
                  Liberals think their campaign against Wal-Mart is a way of introducing the subject of class into America's political argument, and they are more correct than they understand. Their campaign is liberalism as condescension. It is a philosophic repugnance toward markets, because consumer sovereignty results in the masses making messes. Liberals, aghast, see the choices Americans make with their dollars and their ballots and announce -- yes, announce -- that Americans are sorely in need of more supervision by . . . liberals.
                  Last edited by RGBVideo; August 15, 2008, 00:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Title's a bit misleading... should be "Wal-Mart encourages management to vote Republican"
                    I'm sticking with my title. Management are telling workers that voting Democrat means having to pay union dues. The title is essentially truthful

Comment

. But because unions are strong in many grocery stores trying to compete with Wal-Mart, unions are yanking on the Democratic Party's leash, demanding laws to force Wal-Mart to pay wages and benefits higher than those that already are high enough to attract 77 times as many applicants than there were jobs at this store.

You know whos applying for those jobs? Dumb kids and people who are poor as hell because Wal-Mart has decreased standard of living!

Comment

You know whos applying for those jobs? Dumb kids and people who are poor as hell
                        Would you want them to be unemployed instead? That's what they would be (and poorer than if employed) if Wal-Mart wouldn't exist. Read the article; for every job lost at a competing retailer, Wal-Mart creates 2 jobs.

because Wal-Mart has decreased standard of living!
                        False. Increased efficiency --> Lower prices (increased welfare for consumers at the same price) --> Increased demand --> Increased employement (increased welfare for workers).

Wal-Mart increases standard of living, for both consumers and workers. Hate to tell it to you, but you are now essentially repeating US Democratic Party talking points without thinking them through. Don't be a drone, use your own head.

Comment

I haven't heard the Democratic party talking points. I'm pulling them out of my ass thinking of the next logical step to take my arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                            By cutting waste and inefficiency, Wal-Mart has cut costs, which has led to lowered prices, which has led to increased consumer demand, which has increased both employement and the welfare of Wal-Mart's consumers.

Truly poor people who live near Wal-Mart appreciate it. It is only the upper middle-class do-gooders of the world who need some cause to fight for who oppose it, largely because they don't want to alienate their rich friends who also oppose it out of a trend.
                            I can't help but wonder what effect on quality a never ending drive for cheaper would have.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Actually, Wal-Mart has quite good quality for what it sells... it's generally the grocery store of choice in small towns, and not just because of prices, for example.
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You know whos applying for those jobs? Dumb kids and people who are poor as hell because Wal-Mart has decreased standard of living!
                                If that were the case, wouldn't the populations in towns where Wal-Mart puts up a store decline? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't stay in a place if a single store was responsible for the deterioration of my standard of living.
                                -rmsharpe

Comment

Working...
                                X