Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Hitler had died in the summer of 1939 how would he be remembered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Hitler had died in the summer of 1939 how would he be remembered?

I ask because I was recently thinking about the German professor (who could barely speak English BTW) who taught (tried to teach?) me differential equations. In one of the moments he was not talking about math he oddly mentioned that if Hitler had died in the summer of 1939 he would have been remembered as one of Germany's greatest leaders. I found this odd.

From a nationalist point of view I could see unifying Germany and Austria would have been remembered and maybe Germany would have been able to keep the Sudetenland but I just don't see how the occupation of Czech lands would have been sustainable without a war. True, Czechs had been part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire but clearly they had their own language and national identity so I can't see those lands being retained by a German state. Same goes for Memel as it was majority Lithuanian so I don't see how it could remain in German hands in the age of 20th century nationalism.

The of course there is the issue of treatment of Jews, Gypsies, and other minorities (ethnic, religious, and political). Maybe this could be white washed as just another European pogrom but I'm pretty sure this was violent, well organized, and exceptionally wide spread even by the standards of your average Russian pogrom. What do you think? If Hilter had been killed before the war started but after his big pre-war land grabs how would history see him?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

That professor was also oddly proud of saying how much better German tanks were then anyone else's. It's true the Germans had good tanks but why keep bringing that up in a math class? He did have a funny way of saying "German tanks could beat any Allied or Soviet tank six to one but those sneaky allies would always attack SEVEN to one!"

Comment

HISTORY FORUM

TAKING IT IN THE POOPER

Comment

He would have probably been remembered as a mediocre leader at best. Later Germany would have problems with Austria so that would guarantee his mediocrity. Too bad he didn't die then.

Comment

Wow, a liberal complaining about professors hijacking classes to push their own agenda.

Welcome to the real world Oerdin. You are just noticing now, that professors tend to do this all the time?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
            HISTORY FORUM
            Screw that. Laz's forum is as dead as your social calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
              Wow, a liberal complaining about professors hijacking classes to push their own agenda.

Welcome to the real world Oerdin. You are just noticing now, that professors tend to do this all the time?
              You are very strange, Ben. Post on topic or don't post in my thread. Your "Argh! Vast liberal conspiracy!" claims are boring.

Comment

TANK THREADi
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Nah, I guess that Wiggy's social calendar is more valuable than his credit card credibility

OT, Well, much would depend on his successor. If WWII wasn't started and if saner parts of the nazi party won the power struggle, he might be considered as a positive figure, but I seriously doubt it could happen.

About the tanks, your teacher have a point. The early models was pretty crappy, but the later was way better than most US, brit and soviet ditto. Well, the soviets was pretty close to par, but shermans was target practice. They only had a fighting chance because of superior number and air power.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

You are very strange, Ben. Post on topic or don't post in my thread. Your "Argh! Vast liberal conspiracy!" claims are boring.
                    Argh! Threadnazis!!!1!1!1

We should talk about the vast left wing conspiracy against TANKS.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

That professor was also oddly proud of saying how much better German tanks were then anyone else's. It's true the Germans had good tanks but why keep bringing that up in a math class? He did have a funny way of saying "German tanks could beat any Allied or Soviet tank six to one but those sneaky allies would always attack SEVEN to one!"
                      An interesting statement given that French tanks were superior 1v1, but for some reason the French didn't figure out that they should put them all together instead of spreading them out with the infantry units.
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                        HISTORY FORUM

TAKING IT IN THE POOPER

Proof at last

Though, word of advice: While taking it up the pooper, you should probably pay more attention to the guy giving it to you up the pooper rather than posting here on Poly and telling us you're taking it up the pooper. You can't be this bored unless you're REALLY loose and stretched out in the pooper.

Edit: Sorry, I meant pooper not anus.
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Apparently not if he's taking it up the pooper as he types that.

Comment

On topic: I have a conservative friend at work that says Hitler WAS a great leader if you put aside the horrific aspects of that leadership. lol Kinda hard to do that AND defeats the purpose LOL. I just smile and nod, imagining him naked*. Makes it sooo much easier sometimes.

*Not really though he is a hottie. And technically, I have seen him naked though it was his bare butt baby picture in his senior year high school yearbook, so it doesn't count.

Comment

this entire thread is tmi
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X