Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And some of you were worried about the new LONDON mayor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And some of you were worried about the new LONDON mayor...

Rome's new mayor promises purge of migrants

Gianni Alemanno, 50, a firebrand neo-fascist and the first Right-wing mayor of the city since the Second World War, vowed to make Rome "secure" as he was sworn into office after his election at the weekend.

The election of Mr Alemanno confirmed a strong shift to the Right by Italians, who have been sickened by a spate of violent crimes committed by immigrants.

Earlier this month, the centre-Right leader Silvio Berlusconi was re-elected as prime minister and will form a government in partnership with Umberto Bossi, the leader of the anti-immigration Northern League.

In a sign of things to come, after Mr Alemanno's election Mr Berlusconi declared: "We are the new Falange."

The original Falange (or Phalanx) was the Spanish fascist party, founded in the 1930s, whose doctrine was adopted by General Franco.

Mr Alemanno's election was celebrated by hundreds of supporters chanting "Duce! Duce!" and raising their arms in Mussolini's fascist salute.

The new mayor said that his first action would be to begin "immediate expulsions" of the 20,000 immigrants in the city with criminal records.

"We cannot welcome them without discipline," he said. "We will chase out the delinquents. There are 85 abusive nomad camps to destroy."

He added that he would visit the widower of Giovanna Reggiani, a 47-year-old woman who was beaten, raped and killed by a Romanian immigrant who lived at a such a camp last November. "I want to promise him that what happened to his wife would never happen again," he said.

Walter Veltroni, his Left-wing predecessor, was widely criticised for paying more attention to ancient monuments and film festivals than to problems with the city's infrastructure and security.

Mr Alemanno was the youth leader of the fascist Italian Social Movement and wears a Celtic cross, a symbol of the extreme Right. However, he said he wore the cross only as a religious symbol, and in tribute to Paolo di Nella, a far-Right activist who was stoned to death in a Rome street protest 25 years ago.

Mr Alemanno said he was sick of the "continuing search for [my] dark side", adding: "I am bitterly upset from a personal point of view at this demonisation."

He promised to be a mayor for all Romans, and immediately sent letters to the Vatican and to Rome's Jewish community.

Graziano Halilovic, a spokesman for one of Rome's biggest settlements of Roma gipsies, said: "We fear there will be night-time raids on the camps. We want a safe city too. Some of our members have heard their parents' stories of fascism."

Mr Bossi said on Wednesday that immigrants had to be hunted out, and that if reforms were not forthcoming, his followers would take up arms.

"We have no fear of taking things to the piazzas. We have 300,000 martyrs ready to come down from the mountains. Our rifles are always smoking," he said.

Mr Alemanno has promised to tear down a £12 million museum around the Ara Pacis, an altar to the Emperor Augustus.

The sleek modernist building, designed by US architect Richard Meier, took more than a decade to build but was immediately labelled by one critic as resembling a "pizzeria".
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

He added that he would visit the widower of Giovanna Reggiani, a 47-year-old woman who was beaten, raped and killed by a Romanian immigrant who lived at a such a camp last November

Datajack
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Obviously the solution is to give all of Rome to the pope.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

What? You think the Pope wants it?!
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The new mayor said that his first action would be to begin "immediate expulsions" of the 20,000 immigrants in the city with criminal records.
          Are these naturalized or illegal immigrants? If they are illegal, even you Oerdin can not logically object to kicking them out if they are criminals.
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

At least the trains will be running on time, right?
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I presume they're legal immigrants, based on the wording.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I don't think we're worried over Boris. We just suprised.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I can already predict those policies will end up in utter failure.

Rome is a very old city that attracts a throng of tourists. At its core, Rome is a place with plenty of overcrowded streets full of (dumb) tourists. A magnet for petty thieves.

An efficient way to alleviate that problem would be to make the city more adapted for tourists. As it currently is, the the whole city is confusing, with street-names being rarely written on the walls. The mass transit system is quite puzzling (except for the metro, which rocks). And all the tourists are concentrated in the city centre, despite there being very attractive locations outside the core.

Also, busses are overcrowded; such a problem could easily be solved if the mayor decides to provide money about it.

Finally, there isn't enough readily-available information about theft. There are easy solutions against pickpocketing (having a pocket between your tigh and your trousers), but few tourists are aware of the actual risk, and of the potential solutions.

If Rome becomes a place that isn't fundamentally populated with suckers, then maybe it won't attract so many petty criminals, and thus fewer big criminals as well.

About worse criminality: oh gosh, a Romanian has raped and murdered a Roman woman, we must expel all Romanians... Obviously, there are never Italians who rape and murder, nosirree
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

So the tourists are to blame for the crime problem?

Sadly spiffor, I don't buy that argument. Maybe instead of blaming the victim, you should talk some more about how necessary it is to crack down on the crime in Rome to protect the tourists.

If an illegal immigrant raped a citizen, yeah I can see the outcry. I'm sure Paris doesn't do anything to crack down on crime when it targets your tourists.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I love Italian politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                        So the tourists are to blame for the crime problem?
                        Not the tourists as individuals. But tourism is a cause, yes.

So that you understand me better, here's a comparison: poverty is often a cause of criminality; this fact doesn't mean we should blame the poor for the crime problem. But try to find solutions.

Have you ever been in Rome, Ben? Have you ever seen those small streets being completely overcrowded with tourists? Since Rome is a magnificient city, those tourists are more interested in looking at the sights than at taking care of their wallets, obviously.

When, as a mayor, you have such a situation at hand, the only way to solve the problem isn't through name-calling. It requires some analysis.

Sadly spiffor, I don't buy that argument. Maybe instead of blaming the victim, you should talk some more about how necessary it is to crack down on the crime in Rome to protect the tourists.
                        There's plenty of Police on the beat in Rome. Unfortunately, in crowded streets, it's pretty hard to spot and chase a pickpocket. Go figure why...
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

... It requires some analysis...
                          Sadly the new guy is from the right so that option is out for the next legislature.
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

BTW, here's the museum the new mayor intends to tear down

Comment

So that you understand me better, here's a comparison: poverty is often a cause of criminality; this fact doesn't mean we should blame the poor for the crime problem. But try to find solutions.
                              And the 'solution' seems to be don't have the tourists go to Rome.

Brilliant. I suppose the will go to Paris instead.

Have you ever been in Rome, Ben? Have you ever seen those small streets being completely overcrowded with tourists? Since Rome is a magnificient city, those tourists are more interested in looking at the sights than at taking care of their wallets, obviously.
                              Again, it's not the tourist's fault. What should happen is that any thief who is caught should be punished. That to me seems sensible rather then blaming the victim as you are doing here. Why the soft spot for pickpockets Spiffor?

When, as a mayor, you have such a situation at hand, the only way to solve the problem isn't through name-calling. It requires some analysis.
                              Arresting criminals is namecalling? At least he has a plan that will see some success.

Comment

Working...
                              X