The Vice President Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vice President Thread

This thread is for discussion of potential vice presidential candidates. Who will be the running mates for McCain and Obama or Clinton?

To start off, here's some of the internet buzz; April's top 20 VP candidates according to search popularity.

"April's Most-Searched Veep Possibilities:

1. Barack Obama (D): Illinois senator and presidential candidate
    2. Hillary Clinton (D): New York senator and presidential candidate
    3. Condoleezza Rice (R): Secretary of State
    4. Antonin Scalia (R): Supreme Court Justice
    5. Mitt Romney (R): Former Massachusetts governor and recent presidential candidate
    6. Mike Huckabee (R): Former Arkansas governor and recent presidential candidate
    7. John Edwards (D): Former North Carolina senator and recent presidential candidate
    8. Sarah Palin (R): Alaska governor
    9. Bill Richardson (D): New Mexico governor and recent presidential candidate
    10. Lindsey Graham (R): South Carolina senator
    11. Sam Nunn (D): Former Georgia senator
    12. Charlie Crist (R): Florida governor
    13. Jim Webb (D): Virginia senator
    14. Evan Bayh (D): Indiana senator
    15. Bobby Jindal (R): Louisiana governor
    16. Ted Strickland (D): Ohio governor
    17. Tim Kaine (D): Virginia governor
    18. Joe Lieberman (I): Connecticut senator and former vice-presidential candidate
    19. Tim Pawlenty (R): Minnesota governor
    20. Mark Sanford (R): South Carolina governor

Mind you, the Search ranking above is about name recognition. In queries that paired names with the words "vice president," Romney led the pack, followed by Rice, Richardson, Jindal, and former South Dakota senator Tom Daschle (D). Giuliani made this top 10, barely beating out former president Bill Clinton (D)."

I think it's interesting that Democrats still want to see that "Dream" Ticket with both Obama and Clinton, even after all the bickering that has taken place.

I also read somewhere that both Rice and Scalia would decline the GOP VP honor if offered it.

As for most of these others, I just don't think there's enough name recognition to help out the candidates. I think recent presidential candidates like Romney or Huckabee are really the best bet in terms of name recognition for both parties' VP candidates.
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Obama/Richardson, and McCain/Jindal would be VERY interesting. Not likely, particularly in the latter case, but still very interesting.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Bush/Cheney '08
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        Bush/Cheney '08
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Obama/McCain '08
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

McCain/Lieberman and Obama/Lieberman.

"God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

McCain-Huckabee.

Three thumbs up!
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Damned Mutant Christians
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Jindal would be an awesome VP.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Obama-Schweitzer (Montana gov)?
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Condoleezza Rice (R): Secretary of State, but she probably won't.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

barely beating out former president Bill Clinton (D)."

Now isn't that just a swell idea?
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Now isn't that just a swell idea?
                            A Clinton/Clinton ticket? Yeah, I think I may be sick...

Comment

Scalia? He'd be a horrible choice for VP. For a number of reasons. Who actually suggested that?

Richardson would be good though.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                              X