Post a question for Asher's Polycast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jon Miller

Depends on how much of the software is written for linux (using environment variables/etc).

JM
    Obviously if the software you are using is written for Linux, using Linux is more productive than Windows...thanks John Millar.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Well, if people programmed properly (And I try to) it would be platform independent. but they often write their libraries/etc such that it won't work outside of linux, and I am not going to reinvent the wheel just to have things done properly.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
        Linux is bloated.
        GNU/Linux is bloated.
        I better switch to GNU/BSD then.

That's kind of the definition of bloat in an OS.
        So UNG will make Windows bloated then. (Unless that's a fake.)

I work most productively in Windows. I don't see how any developer can be as productive in Linux than you can be in Windows with Visual Studio and its tools. Linux is pathetic in comparison.
        Well you obviously don't write math dense reports.
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

• Why do you say it's a fact if you cant back it up?

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gramphos
            Well you obviously don't write math dense reports.
            What do you mean by that?

What can you do in Linux that you can't do in windows with powershell?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Spec
              Why do you say it's a fact if you cant back it up?

Spec.
              It is fact, as evidenced by "FACT". You need no more proof.

Comment

What do you mean by that?

What can you do in Linux that you can't do in windows with powershell?
                I've still to find a good TeX distribution for Windows, and I can't live without window shading, sloppy focus and virtual desktops. (And to be able to input to a non raised window.) Maybe you can do that in Vista, but in XP (the Windows version I've installed for gaming) you can't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gramphos

I've still to find a good TeX distribution for Windows, and I can't live without window shading, sloppy focus and virtual desktops. (And to be able to input to a non raised window.) Maybe you can do that in Vista, but in XP (the Windows version I've installed for gaming) you can't.
                  You can have multiple desktops in Windows (virtual or otherwise).

It sounds to me like you're using *nix specific development tools and trying to shoehorn those into windows. This is immensely stupid.

Play to the strengths of the platform. Don't try to use a Visual Studio clone in Linux and don't try to use TeX and sloppy focus in Windows. (Duh.)

If you must use these oldschool tools, try MIKTEX for instance.

But long story short, your use case is retarded. It'd be like me saying you cannot program GUIs on Linux since Win32 doesn't work.

Comment

• If you're doing actual development work, Linux is a beast. I hate it.

There's nothing that can come close to Visual Studio Team Foundation server for collaborative, large-scale application development. It's such a pronounced advantage that PS3 developers (who are forced to use Linux) have spent time trying to hack a way to use Visual Studio to develop for the PS3.

Coding for Linux desktops is also atrocious. GTK is brutal, Qt is brutal, the APIs are ugly and a moving target, the interfaces are inconsistent, etc.

Bru-tal.

Comment

• What outside of TeX does as good of job?

I like doing presentations in Powerpoint, and prefer that vastly over Open Office or LaTeX. But Office just doesn't work for getting a paper formatted correctly.

Some of it might be that Microsoft doesn't support the scientific community like it does the business community. Excel I also dislike becuase I things aren't done the way I would like them to as a scientist (although I suspect things are set up just fine for business).

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• TEX and related applications are interesting because it's a specific application domain that Unix has dominated for decades due to academia. This is one of the very, very few use cases where using a *nix solution isn't stupid.

What's wrong with MIKTEX?

Comment

It sounds to me like you're using *nix specific development tools and trying to shoehorn those into windows. This is immensely stupid.
                          I want control over my look and feel (especially the feel)

Play to the strengths of the platform. Don't try to use a Visual Studio clone in Linux and don't try to use TeX and sloppy focus in Windows. (Duh.)
                          But why can't Windows have sloppy focus? I understand that Mac OS can't because of the way their menus work. But there is no such limitation in Windows
                          TweakUI even offers X focus, but no sloppy focus. As for TeX I find it superior to any other program for mathematical typesetting. (At least ten times faster thab Equation Editor.) (And document writing when you don't want to care about the layout.)
                          If you must use these oldschool tools, try MIKTEX for instance.

been there, done that. It doesn't meet my needs

But long story short, your use case is retarded. It'd be like me saying you cannot program GUIs on Linux since Win32 doesn't work.

I'm not saying I can't work on Windows, just that it's ten times slower at least since it lacks features I've learned to love since I left Windows five years ago.

Comment

• This thread is taking a definite turn toward boring.

Do all gays engage in "ramming it"?
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• BORING

If you want to argue about linux, go to the technology sub forum!
                              bleh

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil
                                Do all gays engage in "ramming it"?
                                Good Question!
                                bleh

Comment

Working...
                                X