Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will your country recognize Kosovo? Do you want your country to recognize Kosovo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The First Chechen War (also known as the War in Chechnya before the Second Chechen War) was fought between Russia and Chechnya from 1994 to 1996...

By one conservative estimate there were 7,500 Russian military, 4,000 Chechen combatant, and more than 35,000 civilian deaths.[3] Other estimates put the number of casualties between 80,000 to 100,000 killed. More than 500,000 persons were displaced by the conflict,[4] as cities and villages across the republic were left in ruins.

Very nice but Russians weren't happy with the results apparently.

The Second Chechen War, in a later phase better known as the War in the North Caucasus,[5] was launched by the Russian Federation starting August 26, 1999...

Large-scale fighting has been replaced by guerrilla warfare and bombings targeting federal troops and forces of the regional government, with the violence often spilling over into adjacent regions. The exact death toll from this conflict is unknown, yet estimates range from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands dead or missing, mostly civilians in Chechnya. No clear figures for Russian losses are known to the public. In spite of its large amount of casualties, both Chechen wars remained largely unpublicised in the West.[6]

Well done.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by onodera

Mr. Surkov from the Presidential Administration...
      He appears more enlightened than the average russian anyway.

Surkov: No. The West doesn't have to love us. In fact, we should ask ourselves more often why people are so suspicious of us. After all, the West isn't a charity organization. How have we been perceived for centuries? As a huge, warlike realm ruled by despots -- first by the czars and then Bolsheviks. Why should anyone have loved us? If we want to be accepted, we have to do something in return. And it's an art that we have yet to master.

SPIEGEL: How far has Putin's Russia come on this path?

SPIEGEL: The people have attained a new sense of soberness. The romantic days are gone. We no longer have the feeling of being surrounded by enemies, but rather by competitors. We have achieved too little when it comes to modernizing our society, and we must look to the West for the technological and intellectual solutions necessary to do so. The idea that we should suddenly be able to produce something, now that we're on our own, is erroneous. We must learn from others.

Russian President Vladimir Putin's chief strategist, Vladislav Surkov, is said to be the second-most powerful man. The architect of "controlled democracy," Surkov spoke with SPIEGEL about Russian-style, top-down democracy, the Khodorkovsky verdict and fears of a Ukrainian-style revolution in Russia.

and I see Mr. Surkov's Chechen roots go deep.

Surkov: Yes, my father is Chechen, and I spent the first five years of my live in Chechnya. As someone who grew up there, I say: The Chechen Republic must remain part of Russia. Everything else is negotiable.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
        How many Chechens did you kill last year? How about the year before? And the year before that...? We have a grand total of zero (0) Quebecers in that time.
        I have killed zero (0) Chechens last year. And about the same amount the year before. And the year before that. Why did you bring the subject of Chechnya up anyway?
        Graffiti in a public toilet
        Do not require skill or wit
        Among the **** we all are poets
        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Serb made the "free Quebec" argument as if there was some sort of parallel between a people that fully participate in the political life of the country and a people being oppressed by a larger neighbour.

He made the comparison and I demonstrated how foolish his position is.

Comment

My Country will recognize Kosovo and I disagree.

I fail to understand how a part of a country can just be involuntarily ripped away from another these days.

Still...I guess it does set a precedent for places like Taiwan.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

"involuntarily"? All I've seen indicates the people of Kosovo overwhelmingly wanted this.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                My Country will recognize Kosovo and I disagree.

I fail to understand how a part of a country can just be involuntarily ripped away from another these days.

Still...I guess it does set a precedent for places like Taiwan.
                This from the guy who lists his location as the "occupied south"....
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I think Americans in general should think about that entire independance thing again. Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be illegal, like the French revolution and the revolution(s) in Czarist Russia.

I'm also wondering who started with the recognizing back then
                    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

I don't understand your point. Do you know how many damn yankees migrate to the South so they can complain up close and personal? I'd like to load them all onto cattle cars and ship their collective asses back to where they belong.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It seems to me that his "occupied south" comment is a statement of support for southern independence. Or of feeling at least somewhat wronged by the north during the Civil War (or War of Northern Aggression if you swing that way...). It just seemed ironic that one would support the South and say what he said.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I have to admit, they don't seem to mesh well.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

He's saying hes in charge of that occupation though.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                              Does anyone have one of those Milosevec was a good guy articles laying around? Preferably an up to date one about how it is the EU's fault he died because they didn't have evidence against him.
                              The transcripts of his trial and the way he demolished the 'evidence' against him will make fascinating reading for future historians - in terms of both the strength of his defence and the kangaroo nature of the show-trial. Even many of his opponents there were forced to admit that his defence was superb.

I won't forget the Albanian who appeared waving a t-shirt full of holes supposedly caused by machine-gun fire while he was wearing it. "So how did you survive?" asked the defendant. "God saved me", claimed the witness. The shirt was accepted by the court as evidence.

Comment

Serb said that? Man.

He's one to talk after the dissolution of the USSR.

There are many minorities still in Russia. Should Tataristan be independent? They are fortunate that Siberia didn't choose to become their own state.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X