Advice neeed: Layoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
    About 3 years ago, I lost my job in a "reorganization" after 20 years with my company. I was in management, at the director level, and there was no hint or warning.

It's a lot like losing a loved one or pet. There will be a period of grieving. It's to be expected, and it will pass. The important thing is to capture everything that might help you win future employment -- letters of reference, positive evaluations, contact information of managers/clients/vendors, etc. Update your CV while everything is fresh in your mind.

The severence compensation sounds very generous. (Mine was very good as well.) This is actually a good opportunity to evaluate your career and future path.

BTW, whst kind of work do you do, yaroslav?
    Thanks for sharing your experience and I am sorry for hearing you were fired I have already updated my CV, and I have been adding people to my linkedin account since some year ago. Hopefully it will be useful.

I work in a telecommunication equipment manufacturer, in the development section. I have been working in switching technology over SS7 and IP, but my formation is that of a telecommunication engineer, which in Spain is somehow half radio-engineer, half software-engineer.
    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Advice given: Find another job
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Seriously though, change is something that happens to us all, whether we want it to or not. You'll have some money so you'll be able to manage and maybe enjoy yourself for a bit whilst you are jobhunting your time is your own again, at least for a while!
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I often quit mt job and take long vacations. The places I leave grieve for their loss sure, but they get over it.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            Well, if you are sitting idle at a desk, at least you can post on Poly, right? Catch up on your training or something that you can do legitimately at work...
            Begin work on that novel you've always wanted to write
            It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly a shot rang out. A woman screamed.

Comment

I've been laid off at a few jobs now though, one I worked at for two years. That was hard. Felt better when their competitor came to me and offered to make me their best paid driver. I told them sure, if you let me implement a new system so that your drivers will make more money.

He said no, so I said, that's a shame.

I did like being a delivery driver. The hours were good but the work was long.

I ended up just waiting it out until school started, and got a different job then.

Now, it's a bit easier. I don't work for anyone else so I can't be laid off.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by yaroslav
                These 2-3 months will be 2-3 months sitting idle at a desk, something that never happened to me.
                as others suggested, do some training or personal project you didnt have time before

if you're still bored with the situation, forget the compensation, get a new job and feel happy
                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Your head is probably spinning right now because of the emotions brought about by changes you didn't plan on. Don't make any huge life decisions until you mellow out a bit. The best thing about a decent severance package is that you'll have time to let your emotions cool before you have to do anything about a new job.

Good luck.
                  What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the wise words. I agree with the need for doing special projects, I am trying to setup a connection through the company firewall just for that.

Regarding mellowing out a bit, that´s what I am trying - not to do anything important until I am a little bit more relaxed.
                    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Yep just take a few days off and do something special this weekend when you are off.

That's what I did.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                      X