No announcement yet.

Canada may yet be spared from the worst of a US recession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's just a difference in terminology between the two countries, otherwise you wouldn't be able to compare them.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

unemployed, the chronically sick, the prisoners, the children, the stay-at-home moms & dads, and the retirees
      Which is why the measure is not good. If workforce participation goes up, that's not necessarily a good thing, if it's because folks who are retired have to go back again.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
        I think it's just a difference in terminology between the two countries, otherwise you wouldn't be able to compare them.
        I thought the fact you couldn't compare them was what made people call that chart misleading?

Comment

1. Don't use two different terms in one graph. Even if they're essentially the same, don't.

2. Employment:Population ratio is interesting, but not really so much in highly developed countries, and certainly not for tracking a recession. In fact, in a recession you can sometimes see an increase in that ratio (or at least a much slower decline than in other rates), as more and more wives are forced into the economy when their husbands lose their jobs and have to take a less well paying one.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I don't know what Asher's complaint is, and Ben is saying he doesn't like the metric, not that they aren't comparable.
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

If they're the same, use the same terminology. If they're not the same (exactly), don't compare them. Very simple really
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Recession? There is no recession, crops and markets are booming. The economy will grow 2.8% by this year's end. If anything is in a recession it is your vocabulary. Call it a downturn, like Secretary Paulson does, but do not you dare call it a recession ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  If they're the same, use the same terminology. If they're not the same (exactly), don't compare them. Very simple really
                  That's a question of style, and I'm not defending it either way.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    But even the unemployment rates definition are also different from each country. I do think it's a good way to measure how well goes our employment market. Edit: At least it can show us the trends.

This morning statscan have published an Update about the Housing Price Index:

Again yet, we do not seems to suffer from the falling of housing price.
                    Last edited by CrONoS; February 11, 2008, 19:47.
                    bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                      I don't know what Asher's complaint is, and Ben is saying he doesn't like the metric, not that they aren't comparable.
                      The graphic is misleading because there's such a thing as lag in economics. All the graph may show is that there isn't a simultaneous relationship between Canadian and US employment levels. An alternative reason the graphic is misleading it doesn't matter how high each country's employment rate is, it's the direction in which it's heading that matters. A graph showing employment growth (or shrinkage) over time may have been more appropriate.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Unemployment rate in Canada

all seems to go well (yet)
                        bleh

Comment

On a side note; two friends of me are working in two different factories, they have been put on "stand-by" since the inventory of their factory are full...
                          bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢

The graphic is misleading because there's such a thing as lag in economics. All the graph may show is that there isn't a simultaneous relationship between Canadian and US employment levels
                            Hey at least it show to people not to confuse the economic problem of Canada with the problem of USA!
                            bleh

Comment

But even the unemployment rates definition are also different from each country. I do think it's a good way to measure how well goes our employment market. Edit: At least it can show us the trends.
                              It's a so-so measure to compare the performance of the Canadian economy over time. What it doesn't show.

1. Increases or decreases in employment.
                              2. Regional variations. Out here things are slowing big time, as they are out in Alberta too, due to drops in the US demand.

When 85 percent of our export economy is to the US, then whenever the US sneezes we catch cold.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I don't like the metric, but I thought it was obvious that the two are not comparable. I didn't want to repeat Zkribbler's critique, which argued that the Canadian measure was superior, even as it was much different from the American one.

The only things that are comparable, is the performance up here in Canada over time. The metric though, is related more to demographic rather then economic trends, which is why workforce participaton is a poor economic measure.

Comment

Working...
                                X