Canada may yet be spared from the worst of a US recession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada may yet be spared from the worst of a US recession

* December's employment data were revised upwards from a loss of 18,700 jobs to one of 2,900
    * Employment increased by 46,400 in January
    * The employment rate increased to 63.8%, yet another new record.
    * Full-time employment went up; part-time employment went down
    * The private sector was the source of employment growth, reversing the last few months' worrying trend in which jobs were mainly being created in the public sector.

I wonder if the GST tax cut didn't help us?

[http://worthwhile.typepad.com/worthw...anadian_initi/]
    Last edited by CrONoS; February 12, 2008, 20:29.
    bleh

I hate that graph for being misleading, and you for posting it.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      I hate that graph for being misleading

, and you for posting it.

Wiglaf
      bleh

Comment

I like the idea of using the employment-to-population ratio.

The U.S. "unemployment" numbers are so misleading because they omit persons who've given up looking, persons in prison, etc. But this graph clearly shows that 35% of Americans don't work.

Comment

participation rate is a better measure then we currently use.

Comment

Re: Canada may yet be spared from the worst of a US recession

Originally posted by CrONoS
            I wonder if the GST tax cut didn't help us?
            Most likely not. That's not the kind of move that effects employment.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

The world economic crisis is still unnoticeable in South America, and there are articles in the press about how Brazil and msot other countries will not be affected at all.

I dont know what to believe.
              I need a foot massage

Comment

Well Barnabas you need to have an actual economy to be affected by an economic crisis

Comment

Hey, it is only Bolivia, Paraguay and the Guayanas who dont have real economies!
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Aren't you from Bolivia? or was it Colombia? anyway, people from S America speak with a funny accent.

Comment

This is very misleading.

I don't think participation rates are a very helpful indicator.

You shouldn't be counting people who don't need to work as if that were a bad thing, but only the people who are looking for work.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Now for the economic illiterates to copy: what's the difference between "employment rate" and "employment-population ratio"?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                          Aren't you from Bolivia? or was it Colombia? anyway, people from S America speak with a funny accent.
                          IIRC he's from Bolivia and lives in Argentina.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                            Now for the economic illiterates to copy: what's the difference between "employment rate" and "employment-population ratio"?
                            I was referring to the U.S.'s unemployment rate, which is broadly defined as the percentage of people looking for work. But, if a person has given up looking, he's not counted. And in the past few years, IIRC, an unemployed person is only counted for "x" many weeks after losing his job. Prisioners are not counted, which is an important statistic in the U.S., because we have the highest rate of incarceration in the world.

The employment-population ratio (as I see it) is a more useful statistic. It shows the percentage of the population which is gainfully employed, i.e. the percentage of the population which is doing the "economic lifting." It will omit the unemployed, the chronically sick, the prisoners, the children, the stay-at-home moms & dads, and the retirees,

Comment

I was referring to the chart which uses both terms as I used them.

Comment

Working...
                              X