No announcement yet.

Microsoft offers $44.6B for Yahoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading comprehension: An apparently very elite, rare skill.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed

No, the purpose of business is to help progress and advance the human condition.

Fools who buy "iced tea brewers" that are nothing more than coffee brewers, or idiots lacking taste who buy **** like diaper cakes, or buy their ****ing dogs ****ing retarded shirts, need to stop spending their money and just start giving it to the government.

It'll let the rest of us off with less taxes.

You're rather naive aren't you
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Well, Q Cubed's assertion about wealthy people spending more money and giving more money to the government is accurate, at least in a VAT structure system, like England (and to a lesser extent Canada with its GST).

Under a pure Haig-Simons taxation schedule it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference whether they spent it on savings accounts or spent it on coffee brewers because savings and consumption are the same either way.

Of course even the "go it alone" system present in America has taken care to differentiate itself from a pure Haig-Simons structure...

Oh, and it's not a fair characterization to say I "pwned" Asher in any way, shape, or form. He's doing his thing like he does best, and I'm just watching from the sidelines cheering him on
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

• so all this money is just coming from the exploitation of Windows and Office users who end up "having" to pay for 3rd rate products.

Well, I don't consider myself exploited by having to use a superior OS. And don't you use Office for the Mac?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• An interesting article:

The rumors keep on rolling around the surprise semi-hostile Microsoft bid for Yahoo this morning. Sillicon Alley Insider says they've heard that a couple

The rumors keep on rolling around the surprise semi-hostile Microsoft bid for Yahoo this morning. Sillicon Alley Insider says they’ve heard that a couple of hedge funds were already preparing their own bids for Yahoo, and were (or perhaps still are) days away from making their move.

According to our source, other big private equity funds were busy today, too. Taking calls from News Corp., that is.

News Corp. and Yahoo have been mulling over a merger (of Yahoo and MySpace) since the middle of last year. But the deal back then had News Corp. selling off MySpace in exchange for 25% of Yahoo’s stock. Now the roles have been reversed. Today, News Corp. was supposedly making calls to put together a syndicate and make a counter offer to what Microsoft put on the table. No takers so far, we hear.

All of this is likely to come to nothing, though. I agree with Paul Kedrosky and Mathew Ingram - Microsoft has probably already won this deal, simply because they aren’t relying solely on spreadsheets in their valuation. Hedge funds don’t have that luxury.

So it appears MS beat a bunch of buyers to the punch and maybe that's also why the price is so much... to stave off Newscorp and hedge funds from jumping in.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• This is a hostile bid. I'm sure that the Yahoo board is casting about for a white knight. I don't know that there are companies out there who could outbid Microsoft in the end, but at least Google could make Microsoft submit a higher bid.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Given the choice between Fox and MS, I'd rather have Yahoo owned by MS.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• I would rather have Yahoo go for a higher price, no matter who wins.

This is entertainment for me. Good drama. Suspense. Good characters. A tragic ending. Etc.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Do you have an array of TVs in your living room tuned to CNBC, Fox Business, CNNFN, etc at all times?

Comment

• Nah, I tune into Bloomberg TV, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                        And just like that -- in a single day -- Microsoft loses $20 billion of its market capitalization, leading me to believe that the fair price to pay was about $24.6 billion. Also, it means that the offer price went down by about $1.5 billion.
                        And Google lost about $16b. Perhaps investors value it less if it has to go up against an MS-Yahoo combine.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• That's not a solid interpretation of events. Google's stock was down in after-hours trading after it released its earnings -- well before the Microsoft bid.

Comment

• As a percentage of share price (which Dan didn't mention), Google actually fell more than MS on the news.

Comment

• See #132, above.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                                That's not a solid interpretation of events. Google's stock was down in after-hours trading after it released its earnings -- well before the Microsoft bid.
                                While it did fall in after-hour trading, it fell even more during the day...

Comment

Working...
                                X